Japanese Neo-Geo System?

benares

Kula's Candy
I have some questions about the Japanese Neo-Geo system.

1. Do you need a power converter to use this with American outlets? Can I just plug it in?

2. If the A/C adapter fails on the unit will I need to hunt for an American unit or a Japanese one?

3. Will the RF adapters made for the American systems work with the Japanese model?

4. If I have an American cart w/ english text and play it on the Japanese one will it come out as Japanese text?

That's it I believe.....

Thanks....

Gunbu

As far as the ac adapter goes, the japanese one will work fine in an American outlet. BUT, make sure you unplug it after use. Japanese voltage is 100 while US voltage is 110-120. As long as you don't leave it plugged in, everything will be ok. If you ever need a another AC adapter, an American one will work fine.
About the language thing, I THINK an American game will display in English on a Japanese system.
Hope that helps, does everyone else feel the same about the jap/us voltage? The other option if you want to be totally safe is to get a step down converter, but I havent actually seen one of those for sale anywhere.

benares

Kula's Candy
Hmm okay. Shawn ran out of American consoles and will only have Japanese ones soon.

With the voltage difference I wasn't sure. I didn't want to turn into a crispy critter :-)

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
nah man

your american last blade cart will
magically turn into gekka no kenshi
if yer using a jap neo

thats the beauty of it

wjw123

Krauser's Henchman
I wouldn't use a US ac adapter for a Japanese system. Can you said Fried Neo Geo?

Gunbu

Really? I have been using a US AC adapter for my Famicom and so far everything is fine. I make sure I unplug it after every use though.
Im not sure if the same rules apply for the NeoGeo. I can see how using a Japanese system in Europe would be a problem, since their voltage is 240, over twice as much. But US voltage isnt that much more, at the most 20%.
Any comments on this? Or does anyone know where to get a step down converter? 120 to 100? I asked a guy at Radio Shack and he had no idea what I was talking about.

Gunbu

G

gokusama26

The problem was that you asked someone at Radio Shit. Usually, places (like Babbages) that sell imports of any kind on a regular basis shoud have them.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Well I'd have to agree with wjw123, I wouldn't use a U.S. AC adapter with a Jap Neo, or vice versa. The AC adapters are specifically tailored to the Neo systems (by territory). They have different voltages and amperages, and are not interchangeable . . .

JRock917

, ,
I have an adaptor for my neo cd system, SNK made, which switches between 120 and 240, depending on where you are. All I had to do was go to radio shack and pick up a plug adapter because the plug on the thing was foreign. I am surprised they did not know anything of stepup/stepdown converters when you dealt with them Gunbu, I guess I just happened to get a hold of someone who cared about their job.

benares

Kula's Candy
That just leaves TWO small questions. If you can answer these I would be extremely grateful.

1. Will the RF adaptor work with the Japanese unit. (Please don't go in the opposite direction!)

2. Where can I get replacement A/C adapters for the Japanese unit?

Thanks!!!

JRock917

, ,
you might can find some of the stuff you are looking for at J&L; I know they offer AC adapters for the neo, and I think the one they offer is compatible with both Japanese and US systems, but again it might not be the right type; I imagine other import shops carry ac adapters for the neo also. I have an rf adapter for my Japanese neo cart system, and its the same type I had way back when I originally had a US cart system, so the rf adapter should be fine far as I can tell.