No Text Available on my AES copy of KoF '97. Please Help.

I recently purchased KoF '97 for the AES. Upon startng to play the game I realized that I am missing all text menus in the game, music (but the sound effects are fine), and worst of all I'm missing Life Bars, and combo meters. This makes the game very difficult to play of course.

I am worried that it is the game that is defective. But I have narrowed down the other possible causes to one.

1)I am currently using a 5 pin AV adapter with the system instead of the 8 pin Adapter. I use the 5 pin because I am unable to get sound with my broken 8 pin adapter. However, I hooked up the system with my broken 8 pin adapter to see if there would be text menus, and they were still absent.

Before I act, I was hoping that someone would be familiar with this situation, or have some advice for me. Thanks in advance for your time.

SSS

neo retired
It wouldn't be your AV cable. I have never heard of something like this before, but it sounds like your system is not displaying certain sprites. I have no explanation for you.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
its probably some dirty contacts or loose roms.

my rbs kinda did the same thing, it was a loose pin on one of the roms.

my rbs kinda did the same thing, it was a loose pin on one of the roms.
Okay, so If this is the case, and I suspect that it may be, then how does one go about fixng a problem like that?

Arakon

Robert Garcia's Butler
if you locate the bad pin, simply re-heat the solder to fix the contact, and possibly add a little bit more.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Sounds like a bad rom on the cart espically if other games are working fine. Basically all the missing things you mention use the NeoGeos 8x8 layer and not sprites. So the S1 rom equilivant (from a MVS cart) on the AES cart pcb is either dead or has a bad pin, I would say the latter.

Raz