Egret 29 question

BeaglePuss

Mickey's Coach
Hello everyone!

I just picked up a Egret 29 and I have a question regarding the second player. When adding credits by hitting the little coin mech lever, I can only add credits to the first player. How do I go about adding credits to the second player?

I could be wrong, but it looks as though the 2P start button is wired fine. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
- Matt

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
BeaglePuss said:
Hello everyone!

I just picked up a Egret 29 and I have a question regarding the second player. When adding credits by hitting the little coin mech lever, I can only add credits to the first player. How do I go about adding credits to the second player?

I could be wrong, but it looks as though the 2P start button is wired fine. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
- Matt

Shot in the dark...

Don't most jp arcade games use a single coin slot?

There should be a setting for single coin slot on most games.

BeaglePuss

Mickey's Coach
norton9478 said:
Shot in the dark...

Don't most jp arcade games use a single coin slot?

There should be a setting for single coin slot on most games.
It is a single coin slot. Do MVS mobos have a setting for single coin slots?

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
You can only select between 2 and 4 (god knows why you'd have 4 coin mechs in a cab).

Either way try flicking switch 2.

Last edited:

BeaglePuss

Mickey's Coach
Hewitson said:
You can only select between 2 and 4 (god knows why you'd have 4 coin mechs in a cab).
Hmmmmm. . .
In thinking about it I realized I use(d) this same one slot mobo on my Cyberlead cab. The Cyberlead only has one coin slot as well, but I'm able to add credits to the second player without any trouble. On the Cyberlead I push a button to add credits and on the Egret I flip the little lever. I doubt that makes a difference, but in case it does I figured I'd let you know.

I also checked to make sure the 2P start button was hooked up correctly on the Egret, and according to the test mode on the Mobo it is.

Any other suggestions?

BeaglePuss

Mickey's Coach
Hewitson said:

Either way try flicking switch 2.
Good idea, except I don't know where switch two is. I don't even think there would be a second switch if there's only one coin slot, right? I could be wrong, but I don't know how that would work.

andy251203

Hardened Shock Trooper
This is why the Japanese neo bios only has one credit counter on the screen, to account for a single coin slot.

BeaglePuss

Mickey's Coach
andy251203 said:
This is why the Japanese neo bios only has one credit counter on the screen, to account for a single coin slot.
That's all well and good, but how does that help me?

HAHA! I'm sorry, I just don't follow. Should I get a Japanese mobo, or change my bios? Why would it work on one single coin slot cab and not the other?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Try to mess around with the soft dip settings,coin and credit...

I 'think' it you set it to 1 coin for two credits you can start a game on either side of the cab.
I may be wrong though..

I gotta check this out in my Candy cab and see what I can figure out...I always have my cabs on freeplay.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
BeaglePuss said:
Good idea, except I don't know where switch two is. I don't even think there would be a second switch if there's only one coin slot, right? I could be wrong, but I don't know how that would work.
Sorry, I meant DIP Switch 2 on the board.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I've only ever had an Egret 2 with both the JP and US BIOS. I've always had it set to free play because I don't want to mess around hitting levers or switches. Hit 1P or 2P and you're in the game. Why not put it into free play mode and be done?

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I think theres an option in the menu somewhere.

If the bios is socketed into your board, I highly recommend getting a Unibios chip. Best $30 you could shell out towards your neo-geo.

btw, congrats on the e29. i wouldn't mind one of my own one day.

BeaglePuss

Mickey's Coach
alec said:
I think theres an option in the menu somewhere.

If the bios is socketed into your board, I highly recommend getting a Unibios chip. Best $30 you could shell out towards your neo-geo.

btw, congrats on the e29. i wouldn't mind one of my own one day.
Thanks man! My bios is socketed, so I think I'll go ahead and switch it out.

I'm going to set the Mobo to free play and see how that goes. It sounds like it should work. I was running a Ghostbusters PCB on it, and it looks like it doesn't have a free play setting. Bummer. I was really hoping to play 2P on my Egret with my brother.

madman

For other boards that don't support a single coin slot, you can jumper P2 credit to P1 credit on the JAMMA edge.

BeaglePuss

Mickey's Coach
madman said:
For other boards that don't support a single coin slot, you can jumper P2 credit to P1 credit on the JAMMA edge.
Would that entail soldering? I'll probably hold off it is does. It would be too much of a hassle to solder every time I want to switch the board out. That's an excellent tip though, and I appreciate every added tidbit of knowledge. I am SUCH a totally noob when it comes to hardware.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
It would, I don't recommend that solution as you dont want to be modifying all your boards, especially the more expensive ones.

You could wire coin 2 on your harness to your coin mech as well, however thats not exactly an ideal solution either.

Allien133

Astra Superstar
BeaglePuss said:
Would that entail soldering? I'll probably hold off it is does. It would be too much of a hassle to solder every time I want to switch the board out. That's an excellent tip though, and I appreciate every added tidbit of knowledge. I am SUCH a totally noob when it comes to hardware.

if you did solder it, just put a quick disconnect in the two wires. that way when you take out the board, just disconnect the wires and one half will stay soldered to the jamma harness and the other will stay attached to your button.

madman

BeaglePuss said:
Not if you do it on the JAMMA connector wires. You can even buy test leads from radio shack with clips on the end to perform this.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
What is the purpose of all this????
Are you going to put the cab on location or something???

Here is my very simple suggestion:
Just wire up a second play coin button......

Run it wherever you want..
Mount it somewhere near the service door....

Or run the wires through the coin chute.... And stick the button at the bottom of the chute.

Or just run free play.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Ok,just messed with my Candy cab and I can't figure it out..the only game that I can play a two player game from starting it via player one switch is Baseball Stars 2 since in the games menu you can choose 1 or 2 player game..
I do see something in the Hard dips for Coin chutes..Mine is set to 2 but I still can't play a two player game with the cab set to credits in.(note my candy cab only has one credit LED)..back to free lay for me..

Then I went searching for threads about this>Using the term "Hard Dip Settings"
Note,the search enging sucks so you may want to search further.

Found:
how do I play 2 players on a candy cab??
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112224&highlight=Hard+Dip+settings
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112224

Search: Key Word(s): Hard, Dip, settings
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1760313

YouTube - Neo Geo MVS (arcade) - Service Menu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrctHslWQQY

BeaglePuss

Mickey's Coach
The cab will not be on location, unless of course my bedroom is considered "On location" (HI-OH!). The "point" of this is to play two player games with my brother on my new cab. Nothing more (although i don't think that's asking for much).

There is a fully functioning (and tested) 2P start button. However, when credits are added to the sole coin slot, only the first player start button responds. It's as if the second player doesn't receive credits. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to wire up another coin button somewhere else (you're looking at a serious noob here).

Also, the Ghostbuster board I purchased doesn't have a free play option. I'm looking for an alternative to free play as a result.

Thank you for the response and suggestion, I just figured I would clear up my dilemma a bit further.

For those of you answering the solder question: Thank you! I never thought to add quick disconnects, and that looks like an easy job.

norton9478 said:
What is the purpose of all this????
Are you going to put the cab on location or something???

Here is my very simple suggestion:
Just wire up a second play coin button......

Run it wherever you want..
Mount it somewhere near the service door....

Or run the wires through the coin chute.... And stick the button at the bottom of the chute.

Or just run free play.

BeaglePuss

Mickey's Coach

BeaglePuss

Mickey's Coach
Just tested my MVS mobo with free play set and it works fine. I'll still need to figure out what to do with my Ghostbusters pcb. . .

Thanks for the help everyone.