Hey single slot MVS owners, help me out...

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I need some info regarding two of the single slot MVS models, the MV-1C and the MV-1FZ. Here we go:

1) Most importantly, do either models have a SOCKETED BIOS? I plan on swapping in the debug/AES BIOS and I don't want to mess around with permanent shit. If it doesn't want to move I say let it be.

2) Does the MV-1C have any moving parts?

3) The MV-1C holds the carts perpendicular to the PCB while the MV-1FZ holds them parallel, correct?

4) Do both models support stereo sound?

5) Do either models have extra features like AES joystick, headphone and memory card support?

6) Anything special I should now about either model?

Thanks for the help. :D

Arakon

Robert Garcia's Butler
Originally posted by FeelGood:
I need some info regarding two of the single slot MVS models, the MV-1C and the MV-1FZ. Here we go:

1) Most importantly, do either models have a SOCKETED BIOS? I plan on swapping in the debug/AES BIOS and I don't want to mess around with permanent shit. If it doesn't want to move I say let it be.
<hr></blockquote>

the mini definately does NOT have a socketed BIOS. AES will work fine, debug BIOS will not.

2) Does the MV-1C have any moving parts?
<hr></blockquote>

none of them really have any moving parts, actually.

3) The MV-1C holds the carts perpendicular to the PCB while the MV-1FZ holds them parallel, correct?
<hr></blockquote>

not entirely sure about the 1C, but the 1FZ does, yeah.

4) Do both models support stereo sound?
<hr></blockquote>

the 1FZ definately doesn't.

5) Do either models have extra features like AES joystick, headphone and memory card support?
<hr></blockquote>

the 1FZ is called mini for a reason.. there's nothing extra on it. It does have the advantage of size, tho.. it's only slightly bigger than a cart.

[ March 06, 2002: Message edited by: Arakon ]</p>

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The MVS-1F has stereo, joystck ports and memory card support. Its the one to go for for versatility.

The MVS-1FZ has none of this, allowing for the more compact size PCB, basic model for plugging into a jamma cab.

The MVS-1C is similar to the MVS-1FZ in terms of features, main difference is that the cart mounts vertically.

You can see piccys of each at <a href="http://www.hardmvs.com/" target="_blank">http://www.hardmvs.com/</a>

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Keep in mind that the Debug bios requires a select button...something the MVS doesn't have.

Venturis41002

B. Jenet's Firstmate
besides a 2-slot i have one MV1-F. with it's stereo/mono switch (also the old, big MV-1T has that switch) it's really perfect, besides the missing connectors for a memory card reader.

by the way, all MV-1Fs or FZs i know have a socketed bios. but i don't know if this goes for *all* versions.

lfo

ray_7

So if I'm getting one of these 1 slots, which one is technically the best/which one do you guys recommend?

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
The MV-1F because it supports stereo sound through an external connection, has the hookups for the memory card/headphone daughterboard, and has built in joystick connections. Not to mention the convienent slider volume controls.

The 1Z may be smalller but it has stripped out all the extra perks.

ray_7

Thanks for that, RevQuixo! :D

This is the one you're talkin about right?
MV-1Fsm.jpg

Do you know any place where I can get this thing cheap??

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the help.

What I meant by debug/AES BIOS was the MVS BIOS that allows for language and format select. I wasn't sure what term you guys were familiar with so I just used those two. I'm not trying to pull off anything sneaking in hopes that it works, just a BIOS switch. What did you mean requires a select button Rev? To my knowledge, the new BIOS renders the select button useless on multi0slot cabs, so does it work on single slots?

Really though, aren't the MV-1C AND the MV-1FZ both considered a mini? I realize the MV-1F is best in terms a featuers, but I really don't want something giant like that and I could live without joystick and memory card and on-board volume control and stuff. The main concern of mine is stereo support and a socketed BIOS (By the way, some say they know for sure that the MV-1FZ doesn't have a socket and others say it does, which one is it?)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, the board I got (still waiting for it to arrive) is <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1331344126" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1331344126</a> . I think is the MV-1F one :D . I'm lucky because I didn't even know there were different models. I was very interested in having joy ports.

[ March 06, 2002: Message edited by: Amano Jacu ]</p>

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Originally posted by ray_7:
<strong>Thanks for that, RevQuixo! :D

This is the one you're talkin about right?
MV-1Fsm.jpg

Do you know any place where I can get this thing cheap??</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes thats the one to go for, the actual board in the pic I owned a few months ago, now have a 1FZ, wish I had kept the 1F.

[ March 06, 2002: Message edited by: ttooddddyy ]</p>

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Originally posted by FeelGood:
<strong>Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the help.

What I meant by debug/AES BIOS was the MVS BIOS that allows for language and format select. I wasn't sure what term you guys were familiar with so I just used those two. I'm not trying to pull off anything sneaking in hopes that it works, just a BIOS switch. What did you mean requires a select button Rev? To my knowledge, the new BIOS renders the select button useless on multi0slot cabs, so does it work on single slots?

Really though, aren't the MV-1C AND the MV-1FZ both considered a mini? I realize the MV-1F is best in terms a featuers, but I really don't want something giant like that and I could live without joystick and memory card and on-board volume control and stuff. The main concern of mine is stereo support and a socketed BIOS (By the way, some say they know for sure that the MV-1FZ doesn't have a socket and others say it does, which one is it?)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Okay the debug bios allows you to fiddle around with the variables of the game. It WILL NOT work on the MVS because it is looking for the AES select button...which doesn't exist on the MVS.

The 4x bios however will work on the MVS. This is the bios that Briggs installed on HardMVS.

All minis only support mono. Minis were designed for simple swap out conversions in a jamma cabinet. And since Jamma is mono only...so are the boards. As far as the bios is concerned it is sitting in a removeable socket...it is not surface mounted on the boards...I have yet to come across a surface mounted bios.

So if you want stereo...you need to either get a big board one slot OR get a multi slot and rewire the harness.

Devilman78

Camel Slug
Originally posted by RevQuixo:
<strong>

Okay the debug bios allows you to fiddle around with the variables of the game. It WILL NOT work on the MVS because it is looking for the AES select button...which doesn't exist on the MVS.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Rev, I tried the Debug Bios on a MVS board, and the select button did work, I was able to go to the Debug Settings menu, and change region/etc., but the graphics are very glitchy.

So I guess it didn't really work..., but the select button did.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Devilman78:
<strong>

Rev, I tried the Debug Bios on a MVS board, and the select button did work, I was able to go to the Debug Settings menu, and change region/etc., but the graphics are very glitchy.

So I guess it didn't really work..., but the select button did.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm..okay...well still doesn't work properly :p

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
If you do have a MoBo with controller ports you can use the Debug BIOS by plugging in a Neo•Geo stick and using that select button.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Ok, thanks for the clarification Rev. Are you saying the only difference between a MV-1C and a MV-1FZ is the way the cart sits?

Yes, I use the 4X BIOS. I guess it's simply a matter of wanting stereo sound or not then (since I don't care about those other features). I just may have to go with the big ugly...

Is getting stereo sound out of a MV-1C or MV-1FZ out of the question, or is there a way? Well, there's always a way, but is it a recommended task for your average dude (keep in mind I have electrocuted myself several times simply trying to unplug things from a powerstrip, not very techie-like).