6-slot less reliable?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Is the 6-slot version of the MVS less reliable than the 4-slot? Is there any reason to get a 4-slot rather than a 6-slot, even though it hold holds less games?

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
My 6-slot works just fine. The 4-slot should use less power and be smaller naturally if you care about that.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I have owned crap load of mvs 6 slot and have never had a problem with any. They are not less reliable.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
More chance of a problem with a slot.

They are also large boardsets and more prone to broken traces due to flexing, also higher current draw leads to toasty 5 volt edge connects ;)

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,

They are also large boardsets and more prone to broken traces due to flexing, also higher current draw leads to toasty 5 volt edge connects ;)

Generaly speaking, no less reliable imho

Edit: sorry double post

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
ttooddddyy said:

I read somewhere that it's "reccommended" that you run a +5v line to the back of the 6 slot to take heat away from the edge.

Anyone else heard that or was someone trying to adapt the HNG64 "extra" harness theory?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
That is to do with the 5 volt and ground connection between the top and bottom boards, it will not reduce the current drawn through the jamma/mvs edge connect as it is resultant for both boards.

Some board sets (not all) have a two pin socket on each board and and an inter connect lead. Could always hard wire them for good measure.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
ttooddddyy said:
That is to do with the 5 volt and ground connection between the top and bottom boards, it will not reduce the current drawn through the jamma/mvs edge connect as it is resultant for both boards.

What I meant in that link is that you need to connect those connectors not to each other but independently to the power supply. The contacts on those connectors are double-sided and rated 10A by the manufacturer, much better than the jamma pins. In fact, if I were to consolize a 6-slot I would use those connections.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Exactly.

If you do connect those to the power supply you WILL reduce the current draw through the JAMMA connector as the power will have another path to be drawn from.

RJ

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
So can you use just those pins on the top and bottom boards to power it?

What size/brand connector fits on to those?