Some 4 slot weirdness

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
We all know that in 4 slots sometimes some games won't play nice with others, or that you have to move games around in different slots in order for all 4 to come up. I ran into something new tonight. My slots were filled w/Puzzle Bobble, MSX, Shock Troopers and Zupapa. I took Puzzle Bobble out to put a new game in, tested it, then put Puzzle Bobble back in. When I cycled through to Shock Troopers I'd get some corruption and then the 4 slot would reset.

I swapped Puzzle Bobble and Shock Troopers and now everything works again. Is the 4 slot ordering weirdness somehow also based upon the battery backed data? The only thing that changed was that I put a new game in that added new high score data to the 4 slot. Odd stuff.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Corruption and a reset is typically a bad connection on the cartridge.

The reset comes from a fault in reading/executing the data on the program ROMs.

madman

channelmaniac said:
Corruption and a reset is typically a bad connection on the cartridge.

The reset comes from a fault in reading/executing the data on the program ROMs.
When I was getting that, I'd take all the other carts out and Shock Troopers would work fine in the same slot. It worked fine prior to messing around and works fine now that I swapped the carts around. Really weird.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Take the cart apart and clean the contacts very well with a big pink pencil eraser.

madman

Already did that, it's spic and span. Like I said, the weird thing is that when it corrupted and rebooted with other carts in there, I could remove the other carts, leaving it in place and then it'd boot fine. Any time it was next to Puzzle Bobble, it'd give the same result. It works fine now so I'll just let it be.

Last edited:

MadSlacka

New Challenger
channelmaniac said:
Take the cart apart and clean the contacts very well with a big pink pencil eraser.
I've never heard of this?? Does it work well?? can the friction burn threw the contacts or possible rub them off ??? any other secret methods? I also heard something about a dishwasher ???

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I've used the big pink pencil eraser..

My method consists of Red industrial Scote Brite(home depot)...then cleaning off the residue with 91% alcohol.(the contacts on the carts are tough,you just can't go nuts with the stuff..
I've been using this method for years.all my MVS carts work(if not something else) when I clean them this way..I use this method for other game carts such as NES carts that still continue to work after 4 years..

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
madman said:
My slots were filled w/Puzzle Bobble, MSX, Shock Troopers and Zupapa.
lol Your slots were filled.