Killer Instinct HDD

X

Y,
Can you use a regular IDE drive on a KI board? I have got the image file but wanted to know if it would work before I got the board.

Rigel

The Ultimate 11
Originally posted by X:
<strong>Can you use a regular IDE drive on a KI board? I have got the image file but wanted to know if it would work before I got the board.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I saw someone selling a KI board and HD on eBay. The HD was an IDE, and the description said he put it on the IDE drive for better reliability. I guess it is possible. You'd have to get a ribbon cable that fights right though, KI uses a laptop size cable and HD. (I think there's a difference,)

Say uh, what version image is that? I recently acquired a v1.5 board with no HD, think you can hook me up with the location from where you got it?

X

Y,
Rigel...Drop me an email, and we'll figure a way to send it to you.

Arakon

Robert Garcia's Butler
as far as I know, the HD has to be a special type, tho.. it's one certain 2.5" seagate HD.

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
There was a guy on usenet named Matt (gamefixer@aol.com) who used to offer a harddisk replacement solution (an IDE drive instead of the standard laptop drive) for Killer Instinct 1. Don't know if he's still in business though ...

Rigel

The Ultimate 11
Originally posted by X:
<strong>Rigel...Drop me an email, and we'll figure a way to send it to you.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just sent you an e-mail. If you like, I can put the image on a drive and test it out. I've got a v1.0 and v1.5 KI main-board.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by X:
<strong>Can you use a regular IDE drive on a KI board? I have got the image file but wanted to know if it would work before I got the board.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dude!!
When the hell did you score that puppy?!?!? :eek:

C

Caris Nautilus

I'm pretty sure it's a special drive, because if you could just use any PC hard drive, there wouldn't be so many people out there with KI boards they can't use because their HDD died.

I think the HDD KI 1 uses is a 200meg custom Seagate.

[ February 24, 2002: Message edited by: Drift King EX ]</p>

Rigel

The Ultimate 11
Originally posted by Drift King EX:
<strong>I think the HDD KI 1 uses is a 200meg custom Seagate.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think it's just a seagate laptop drive. It's definately smaller than IDE, but I've heard numerous people describe it as a laptop drive. And I must say, when I compare my KI drive to a laptop drive, they look to have the same size cable-pins. The KI drive doesn't require a seperate power source either, where-as and IDE drive does (not sure about a laptop drive, forgot to check that).

I think the hard part isn't getting another drive, but getting the information onto a new drive. Who knows what format the info is stored in.

Anyways, I'll see if anything can be done if I can get a hold of the image.

X

Y,
Did some digging and here is what i needed to know thanks to all.<a href="http://home.austin.rr.com/sking/ki.html" target="_blank">KI backup stuff</a>

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
Wierd. I remmeber the KI 1 drive being a 120-150 meg with a custom BIOS, to prevent copying. Its EIDE format. KI@ is a standard EIDE drive, copyable.
I fsomeopne has KI1 cracked, very very excellent.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by X:
<strong>Did some digging and here is what i needed to know thanks to all.<a href="http://home.austin.rr.com/sking/ki.html" target="_blank">KI backup stuff</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey when you get a chance, We need to hook up again sometime ok? Let me know when the freetime comes around again. Also email mail me here bonuskun@prodigy.net Latahs!!! :D

LastResort

King's Dry Cleaner
This is one of the games that i need to play on my supergun :) can't wait to get it.
Btw, the HD are not regular HD, but they can be copied, dont know how, but i've seen copied replacement HD for this game.

LastResort