KOF '98 Ultimate Match is now out in arcades (Japan)

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
It's out, and it's awesome. In brief, KOF '98 Ultimate Match is a re-release of The King Of Fighters '98, put out in time for its 10th anniversary. Besides some tweaks to the main roster here and there, the biggest differences come from the added characters (Geese, Krauser, Mr. Big, Kasumi, and Eiji), and the new Ultimate play style. Ultimate is nothing more than a free select; you can pick and choose from both Advanced and Extra modes' features, meaning you can store power stocks and dodge instead of role, or make the perfect gauge by combining dashing and rolling with Extra mode's power gauge. (Thus rendering extra mode USELESS ) The regular cast remains essentially the same from what I saw (again, tweaks here and there...need to head back soon and play more!), however all of the "another" characters have been significantly changed up, gaining new or changed special moves. Another Terry, for instance, now has his ground wave as a dp motion with punch, and Another Mai has her shadow image attack from the Real Bout games (complete with afterimages) as a normal attack.

Unlike all of the other post-Neo-Geo MVS hardware SNK fighters, '98 Ultimate did not get any major aesthetic changes. The sprites and special moves all look just like they did on the Neo-Geo...there's no filtering going on, and no added effects. The backgrounds are the same too, and while there are new backgrounds that have been added (which I didn't get to see; the game never went to any of them when I was playing it!), the resolution also stays the same, so the sprites don't stand out. The music is also unchanged, being the original (and superior to the arranged) PCM versions. The select screen and pre/post match screens did get new music though. The life and power bars have been changed up, as has the "ready...go" text, but it all fits in perfectly with the game. The added characters and another characters have all gotten new portraits and win artwork that have been done in the same style as the original '98, too. While '98 UM offers nothing new, it's a nice anniversary title, and it's always fun to go back and play some KOF '98. I just wish that they would have gone all out and added EVERY character through KOF XI as playable characters; it would have made for a bigger last hurrah before they start all over again with KOF XII later this year.

I'd love to hear what the scene is like for the game in big cities...if maybe it's gotten people back into KOF, or if everyone is still just focused on Gundam Vs. Gundam, Accent Core, TK6, and VF5. My local game center unfortunately takes virtually every fighting game not named "Tekken" or "Virtua Fighter" (although that too has been shoved into the back) and puts them in the back of the building...you wouldn't even know the new games were out.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Good to hear. Now it just has to come out for the PS2.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
that sounds awesome.

I'm sure Fran can breathe a sigh of relief.

Robert

20 Year Member
The opinions I read on various forums gave the same message: Not a new game but I solid update which can give KOF player so pretty good hours.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
you sure about the look though. I know the sprites and backgrounds are the same but when I saw this a little over a week ago we had used 31khz monitor instead of the normal 15hz and the color and details looked alot criper. it was also filled in. Since the Taito type X puts out svga we had connected directly to that output for the picture. I wonder if the just put it in 15khz cab and down converted. I know the MVS could not put out that clean of a picture unless kurtz came out with something new :)

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Lyte Edge said:
Unlike all of the other post-Neo-Geo MVS hardware SNK fighters, '98 Ultimate did not get any major aesthetic changes. The sprites and special moves all look just like they did on the Neo-Geo...there's no filtering going on, and no added effects. The backgrounds are the same too, and while there are new backgrounds that have been added (which I didn't get to see; the game never went to any of them when I was playing it!), the resolution also stays the same, so the sprites don't stand out. The music is also unchanged, being the original (and superior to the arranged) PCM versions.

T H A N K S G O D

I just wish that they would have gone all out and added EVERY character through KOF XI as playable characters; it would have made for a bigger last hurrah before they start all over again with KOF XII later this year.

No way. This is 'KOF98 as it would have possibly be in '98 if not for the cart limits'. See, they added Kasumi in '96 style (no ponytail) even if they had a much newer spritr ('99) for that very reason. This makes sense.

Please let us now about:

The bosses, supposedly Omega Rugal, Goenintz and Orochi. The very very 'full cast up to '98' is there.

The EX chara complete list. Orochi Iori and Leona are also supposed to be there, and I spotted an EX Geese here and there.

Well, thanks for the nice report! :)
Seems time for me to buy my very first PS2 after all... :annoyed:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
nice!
good to hear they didnt screw with 98 like they could have. I can't wait to get this on ps2

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
I guess it's just the PS2 version that'll get the new, and 3-D styled backgrounds. It'd definitely like to see an option for HD widescreen play for the home release, without sprite stretching. Can you imagine what a kickass, huge battle stage that'd make?

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
it is at my local.

had a few games tonight.

no shortage of competition.

kept getting caught out by andys new move.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
KRONOS said:
I guess it's just the PS2 version that'll get the new, and 3-D styled backgrounds. It'd definitely like to see an option for HD widescreen play for the home release, without sprite stretching. Can you imagine what a kickass, huge battle stage that'd make?

They took the 480p option out of KOFXI and NGBC for the US release...not that that's HD anyway, but it would have been better than nothing. I don't expect much from SNK-P ports anymore.

Nickn

Swords, Dragons & Big Breasted Women
Is this a MVS cart or a dedicated Jamma machine?

shadowfamicom

Rugal's Thug

dark penguin said:
They took the 480p option out of KOFXI and NGBC for the US release...not that that's HD anyway, but it would have been better than nothing. I don't expect much from SNK-P ports anymore.

same I'm still kinda mad about no 480p in the US KOFXI, but i already had the japanese version so I wasnt that pissed.

I dont think I'm gonna wait for the US port on this game either.

Either way I cant wait to try this game out.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
/Vader mode ON

I found your lack of interest in this game disturbing...

/Vadel mode OFF

Ok, the game is out and so few reports/news. I don't get it. This is an incredible release. Any serious neo-freak should just be drooling on this one. So am I, thus I'll try to resume what I got after watching many many videos here and there.

1) Four (at least) new bgs, each one changing from round to round. Nice.

2) New bgmusic. Many new tunes, mostly remixes of ol themes. A Ryuuko1 Ryo theme remix is there, so is a Terry GarouDen2/Sp theme remix. Again, nice.

3) Speaker voice seems from KOF96, my very fav one in a series. Nice nice nice.

4) Gameplay seems faster than classic 98 to me. The general feel I get is a bit closer to 96, actually.

5) Note on characters.
-Krauser has new animations and moves. First, his front walking has been re-designed. Has his 'throw opponed in the air and pucnh as he comes down' throw. Has his block (see GarouDen2/sp) back, followed-up by a nice burning slam to the ground. Has a new 'autocombo' special, ending with a nice flamming leg tomahawk. Has a nice new custom intro pose with Geese, where he appears with his RBS cape and says 'I'll chisel your gravestone, sleep we-hel'. Love it.

-Geese. It's based on his KOf96 version, not on his SVC version. Thanks god. Deadly Rave is now his second special, but I think is just automatic: connect and get the whole combo. He's cool as ever, Takuma was missing in KOF96, so having the chance to mix Geese with Takuma in a KOF is great. :)

-Eiji. Based on his KOF95 version, not on his XI version. Seems quite speedy, and Kasumigiri is a natural follow-up for any poke. His Kikohou is fast and has an impressive reach. Seems to be a natural jumper. Apart from Pegasus Kick, poking opponents with low jumps seems just his nature. ut I've not seen very much of him.

More to follow (?)

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
Wow, great stuff...Seems I'll have to get a PS2 as well. With this and KoFXII, sounds like I really gotta get back to serious practice on the series!

hanafuda

Shito said:
/Vader mode ON

I found your lack of interest in this game disturbing...

/Vadel mode OFF

Ok, the game is out and so few reports/news. I don't get it. This is an incredible release. Any serious neo-freak should just be drooling on this one. So am I, thus I'll try to resume what I got after watching many many videos here and there.

1) Four (at least) new bgs, each one changing from round to round. Nice.

2) New bgmusic. Many new tunes, mostly remixes of ol themes. A Ryuuko1 Ryo theme remix is there, so is a Terry GarouDen2/Sp theme remix. Again, nice.

3) Speaker voice seems from KOF96, my very fav one in a series. Nice nice nice.

4) Gameplay seems faster than classic 98 to me. The general feel I get is a bit closer to 96, actually.

5) Note on characters.
-Krauser has new animations and moves. First, his front walking has been re-designed. Has his 'throw opponed in the air and pucnh as he comes down' throw. Has his block (see GarouDen2/sp) back, followed-up by a nice burning slam to the ground. Has a new 'autocombo' special, ending with a nice flamming leg tomahawk. Has a nice new custom intro pose with Geese, where he appears with his RBS cape and says 'I'll chisel your gravestone, sleep we-hel'. Love it.

-Geese. It's based on his KOf96 version, not on his SVC version. Thanks god. Deadly Rave is now his second special, but I think is just automatic: connect and get the whole combo. He's cool as ever, Takuma was missing in KOF96, so having the chance to mix Geese with Takuma in a KOF is great. :)

-Eiji. Based on his KOF95 version, not on his XI version. Seems quite speedy, and Kasumigiri is a natural follow-up for any poke. His Kikohou is fast and has an impressive reach. Seems to be a natural jumper. Apart from Pegasus Kick, poking opponents with low jumps seems just his nature. ut I've not seen very much of him.

More to follow (?)

i played some more yesterday.

damage much reduced.

plays quite a lot different to 98. feels tighter.

CPU is a monster.

visuals dont look nice on a big monitor.

Ura Yamazaki has some cool new moves.

I won my first match!

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Thank you for the update!

I think any complete URA-chara list is still missing from the whole (english) net, so would you give it a try in compiling it?

SNKP announced a total of 24.
Original '98 had 12.

Ultimate Match should have added: Orochi Iori & Orochi Leona, URA-Geese, URA-Yamazaki, URA-King... plus? Possibly an URA-Krauser?

Maybe they're also counting the other two bosses (Goenitz & Orochi), eventually selectable?

hanafuda

Shito said:
Thank you for the update!

I think any complete URA-chara list is still missing from the whole (english) net, so would you give it a try in compiling it?

SNKP announced a total of 24.
Original '98 had 12.

Ultimate Match should have added: Orochi Iori & Orochi Leona, URA-Geese, URA-Yamazaki, URA-King... plus? Possibly an URA-Krauser?

Maybe they're also counting the other two bosses (Goenitz & Orochi), eventually selectable?

Well, according to the latest Arcadia there are:

Geese
Kyo
Terry
Joe
Andy
Ryo
Robert
Yuri
Mai
King
Yamazaki
Blue Mary
Billy

Note that the alternate Yashiro, Chris, and Shermie are in too but they are not 'Ura' characters as such.

Orochi Leona and Iori are not listed.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Geese
Kyo
Terry
Joe
Andy
Ryo
Robert
Yuri
Mai
King
Yamazaki
Blue Mary
Billy

I bolded those not present in KOF98 standard.
I guess secret characters as a whole are supposed to counted in. :)
Following the same logic pattern:

Orochi Yashiro
Orochi Shermie
Orochi Chris
Orochi Iori
Orochi Leona

Omega Rugal
Goenitz (?)
Orochi (?)

That would make a totla of 21...

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
In the JP PS2 KOF XI & NGBC games is there an option to select the screen refresh rate, such as 480p? I read here this was removed on the US versions, which is strange as I thought the US & Japan share the same SDTV specs.

DJ Long Cat

Armored Scrum Object
KRONOS said:
In the JP PS2 KOF XI & NGBC games is there an option to select the screen refresh rate, such as 480p? I read here this was removed on the US versions, which is strange as I thought the US & Japan share the same SDTV specs.

We used the UK version and since it didn't have 480p, we didn't get it either.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Snair said:
What is "URA" an abbreviation for?

Literally should be 'reverse(back', in the sense of 'reverse side, bavj side'. The idea is something hidden from the light, thus someway secret. The back door of a shop is its 'uraguchi'. The dark side of the moon is ie its 'ura' side. 'Urawaza' means 'secret technique', etc etc... :)