neo geo anime

JRock917

, ,
Keeping in kindof the same vein as the soundtracks, what about anime? How much neo inspired anime is there, I know there is some, at least for Samurai Showdown....

lump505

Kabuki Klasher
No offense but I think all anime is very stupid. Am I the only one who thinks so?

There is nothing wrong with liking anime but I just can't stand it.

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
Anime does not suck. Well, all that shitty martial arts/space wars/robots crap that saturates America does, but real plot oriented series (Marmalade Boy, Hana Yori Dango, Kimagure Orange Road) are great. Saying anime sucks is like saying "books suck,". It's such a broad category.

JRock917

, ,
well, anime is I suppose an aquired taste, sure was for me, but then again I do like kung fu, robot wars, and related stuff, crap, ect.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
There were the two Fatal Fury TV Specials & the Motion picture, all available stateside. There is the Samurai Shodown Motion Picture, as well as a two-part anime OVA series in Japan, named "Samurai Spirits 2 Asura Zanmaden" parts 1 & 2. There is the Art of Fighting TV special, there's Gowcaizer, I think a short OAV series & a film or something like that plus at least two Legend of Success Joe TV series (old & new versions, with what updated I have no clue). That's all that comes to mind. It's possible more Ashita no Joe Densetsu might exist, but you would have to ask someone else for confirmation on that.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
I think that legend of success joe was a anime before it was a neo game. Also Eightman was also an anime before it was a Neo game. hmmmm besides that maybe the double dragon movie (of course that was not a anime). I actually surprised there was never a KOF anime being that it is the most popular neo game in asia.

what about Kabuki Klash. was that every an anime? I know it was a RPG.

JRock917

, ,
dude, ninja scroll is what got me into anime
smile.gif

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
Id like to see adult neo geo spun anime... haha Blue mai x Red mai... twins that share everything...heheh

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Ninja Scroll was damn good, I also like the Fatal Fury Motion Picture. And Dream we all know where your head is at
smile.gif

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
Witch one? Hey sex is good, and if it envolves SNK females... or women dressed as SNK females, all the better.

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Ok man here is the deal. I'm gonna tell you a secret. SNK females aren't real. Hope you understand this.

JRock917

, ,
ever heard of Cool Devices? it you wanna see hentai at its best....I dont know, maybe even the twins are in that one.

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
I actually just got Ninja Scroll on DVD. I was watching it the other night and I noticed that one of the background scenes was almost an exact match to a Samurai Showdown 2 background. There is a part when Jubei and the old man are standing in front of the steps of a temple. It is very similar to Nicotene's background in SS2, with the mist and everything. We already know the old man is an exact match of Nicotene, but I didn't realize they also used the same backgrounds.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Hmmm, a Final Romance 2 anime? Well, who knows. I'm sure one of the underground anime companies must have done something with Mai, Yuri etc. but then they usually get carried away with char. design, and production budgets are incredibly low I would think.

Cool Devices is supposed to be almost free from hentai itself, but has so many other far nastier goings on from what I've read, that one would probably just appreciate the change.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Now that you mention that about Ninja scroll, it makes me wonder if it all has some historical significance. I mean, Jubei was based off a real fighter of centuries past, the temple could very well exist, or have existed, as could have some old monk who had an important role in some story involving him and so on. Could be rather interesting to research, should one have the time that is.

And to do two posts in one, yes indeed Legend of Success Joe was an anime series (Tezuka comes to mind; don't know why) prior to its being made into an utter catastrophe of a boxing game. Anyone have an official count as to how many LoSJ TV series there were?

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
I don't know about the inspiration for the Nicotein/Ninja scroll monk, but the SS character Yagyu Jubei is based on an actual historical figure. The real Yagyu Jubei Mitsuyoshi was a famous swordsman from feudal Japan, who was rumored to also be a Ninja (hence the Jubei character in Ninja Scroll.) I'm pretty sure that Haomaru is based on the real life Samurai duelist Miyamoto Mushashi, as is the Mushashi character in Last Blade 1.

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Maybe you didn't get a very good real girl then. I have a girlfriend and thats why I don't have to look at cartoon sex.

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Gambit (edited October 12, 2000).]

JRock917

, ,
I did not know about all the history behind "Jubei" and "Haomaru"; thats fascinating stuff. Just in case anybody cares to know, cool devices has a little bit of everything in it, far more than I can express in this forum...

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest Samurai, wasn't he? Some things I remarked also made me think there was some sort of realtionship between the two, though I'm "making the bits fit together" to a small degree, if you get what I'm saying.

I was told that Kyoshiro was also probably based off a real person. Be there any light to be shed on this?

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
I read somewhere that Ukyo is possibly based on a real person in Japan's history also. I forget the name of this person, but he was a swordsman famous for being able to slice swallows (the bird) in half with his sword as they flew by. One of Ukyo's moves is called the Tsumabe Gaeshi or "swallow slice".

M

metalslug2k

Ukyo is not the only one. There was a FAQ written a while back that tried to tie many of the original Samurai Shodown characters back to historical figures. I am sure that it can still be found on GameFAQs.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Hanzo (Samurai Shodown & World Heroes) was also real as far as I know, as the most famous head of the Iga Ningja, but was Fuuma invented for the WH series, just to give Hanzo a rival? With a game (SS) so inherently Japanese, they've probably all got some close or far relation to Japanese history.