Connecting any console -> PC monitor

One-Up

Armored Scrum Object
XRGB does this, I gather. Is there any other device like it?

One-Up

Armored Scrum Object
The problem is, I don't own a TV and don't want to buy one either. And setting up the projector is annoying, since I have to pack it away after gaming. So what I am looking for is a solution to play any console on my TFT. XRGB3 seems awfully expensive, though. I do want decent picture quality, though.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Fair enough. You will get a much nicer (and bigger) picture on a TV though.

The XRGB and the board I posted a link to are the only two devices I know of that'll do the job.

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You could use a capture card and run DScaler (assuming you run Windows). It was how I console-gamed for about three years, and I turned out okay :emb:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The refresh rate is often not good on capture cards. That would be tough for games.

2point0

NEST Puppet
It depends on what you're looking for, function or picture quality.

I have this crappy converter hooked up in my office to my crappy monitor. The picture sucks, but it's cheap and it's clear enough to play.

I had an xrgb2+ a few years ago and it was much clearer. But even then it looked "blocky," too sharp around the edges.

search results for VGA at play-asia

You can find the alternatives to the xrgb boxes here for reference.

ravenmgs

Armored Scrum Object
I own a XRGB-3 and a Kworld PRO WSHD TV, and I also have a kworld x1920 ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3655607&CatId=1427 ) gamer's choice edition.

XRGB-3 is hands down the best, and worth the extra money to me. But if you are
not looking to spend 300+ then the kworld x1920 is a good choice. the PRO WSHD is no longer being made, but it is almost identical to a xrgb-3 in clarity on a CRT and just as good on a LCD.. the x1920 I find to a bit more blurry than either one, but probbaly still the best up-scaler out there next to the xrgb-2/3. It does have some very very nice cord management features though.

My main test was on Metal Gear Solid 3, Shadows of the Colossus, Ninja Gadien Black and some neo games on my xbox.

Basically the colors on the x1920 are much more hazey than the XRGB-3. The WSHD has darkening and lightening issues. The XRGB-3 gets some noise when doing d-terminal with a PS2/GC/XBOX and the kworld gets none at all. Really unless you are looking at the XRGB-3 side by side with the KWorld systems, you are not going to be hit with a major difference.

edit -

I found the TV Box WS Pro HD for sale here.
http://www.digiparks.lv/public/?id=218&ln=lv&bt_id=11184
Be warned it isn't the best thing in the world for trinitron CRT monitors. I had to amp down the signal do to the fact trinitrons amp the signal so high. Also on 640x480 the image is interlaced.

Last edited:

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
kworld 1600 tv box and a lcd.

works great and the tv box costs 60

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Neo Alec said:
The refresh rate is often not good on capture cards. That would be tough for games.
Maybe you used crappy cards, I was able to use my Hauppague ImpactVCB and ATI TV Wonder Pro cards perfectly for gaming. DScaler ran like a champ on my 600mhz Celeron with 64MB RAM, so I dunno man.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
I think the refresh also depends on if you're drawing to an overlay or whatever not overlay is.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:
Maybe you used crappy cards, I was able to use my Hauppague ImpactVCB and ATI TV Wonder Pro cards perfectly for gaming. DScaler ran like a champ on my 600mhz Celeron with 64MB RAM, so I dunno man.
Yeah, I've got a crappy card. Just wanted to bring attention to the fact that not all cards will work okay.

ravenmgs

Armored Scrum Object
Hauppague is really the best out there for running games. I've tested a few and found some with delay so bad it effects turn based RPG's and of course the Hauppague cards which are fine even for SHMUPS.

One-Up

Armored Scrum Object
datalogik said:

This looks nice for 60$, but it does not support 480i and lower, so it looks like will work with newer consoles only.
I have tried using a capture card but it was simply not very userfriendly.
Looks like I will have to get a XRGB3 after all...