RGB Televisions

DIABLO -19

n00b
Hello Neo gamers.I jus brought a Neo Aes system and i was wondering how to get the best picture from it.I have heard about RGB and s-video which is the best and what name brands TV's have RGB.I see s-video,component video, and composite video on jus about all flat screen TV's.Especially
sony wega, i have yet to come across any that say RGB are they real expensive or something.Since i will be getting my something modded I was jus wanting to know what kind of TV should i buy first.
Thanks DIABLO -19

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
I'm no tech expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll tell you what I know. RGB is much better than S-video. S-video is good though. A noticeable improvement from composite from what I understand (I only have composite leads on my AES). S-video can be found on TVs, but RGB cannot. You'll have to get an RGB monitor for that (it's something like a PC monitor -- not intending for watching TV or anything like that). If you want one, check out happcontrols:

<a href="http://www.happcontrols.com" target="_blank">http://www.happcontrols.com</a>

You may have to construct a box for it and more, I'm not sure :( .

Chairman Kaga

Fio's Quartermaster
RGB doesn't exist in US TV's unfortunately. The best option you have currently is S-vid or wait for the component mod on the AES to become widely available. If you really want the best RGB picture get yourself an arcade cabinet, itll probably cost you less than a large RGB monitor by itself anyway.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Oh well, at least that's an advantage for we Europeans players. You know, our TVs run in PAL 50 Hz, while most games are produced for NTSC 60 Hz so we suffer from slowdown and black strips in top and bottom of the screen. Hopefully it can be solutioned in some way for most systems.
But at least our TVs support RGB directly, that's very good also when using superguns.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Amano Jacu:
<strong>Oh well, at least that's an advantage for we Europeans players. You know, our TVs run in PAL 50 Hz, while most games are produced for NTSC 60 Hz so we suffer from slowdown and black strips in top and bottom of the screen. Hopefully it can be solutioned in some way for most systems.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, it also depends on the TV model... When I play CPS games (for instance) on a crappy sub brand TV set I do get black bars at the top and bottom of the screen and furthermore the picture is slightly shifted to the left... But when I play the very same boards on a Sony Wega I get a perfectly centered full screen picture (no black bars at all) :)

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Originally posted by DIABLO -19:
<strong>So are Sony Wega TV's the way to go.Are they the best for playing the Neo on.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Look, Wega's are no doubt excellent TV's but the models available in the US can't possibly handle RGB inputs. Mine can because I'm in Italy.

DIABLO -19

n00b
So i need to move to Italy to get the best picture(LOL).Thanks for the Information.It really helped me out.Do foreign TV's work in the USA like the one u have or is it a different Frequency or Megahertz or something like that.If so where kan i buy one at.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
European TV's won't work in the US:

Europe: PAL 50Hz 230VAC

US: NTSC 60Hz 120VAC

If you have money to burn and want something exclusively for gaming purpose (or at least no telly), you might get an RGB monitor, like Mitsubishi's Megaview series (huge screens: 29" and above) or something like that...

Andy Geezer

Rugal's Thug
Buying RGB scart TVs in the US is fairly hard, there is the voltage problem (although I've been on a US military base here in England and there cheap LG/GoldStar TV had a SCART socket, it was also multi-region it had PAL/SECAM/NTSC tuner and also it was dual voltage 110/220).

TVs where quite cheap, around $200-$300 from the on base BX.

$hockwave

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
i would reccomend the sony wega xbr 40 looks like the one of the best tv's i have seen and yeah rgb may be better than s-video but any tv could support rgb scrat that has component video if i am not mistaken because the neo cannot produce the amount of resolution that component video holds which i believe is somewhere around 500 lines and the neo i heard only supports like 330 but there is a solution i found a converter that converts a scrat connection to component video but i do not now if you lose resolution or not i hope this helps imo i would go with the xbr 40 inch looks nice and in hdtv compatible

D.Holmes

Overtop Pathfinder
Why don't you get a XRGB-2 and get lovely RGB goodness through a computer monitor? A lot cheaper than a new TV :D

BTW Japanese WEGA TV's have a single RGB input and are NTSC.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Hey I just got a Sony Vega TV it is 27 inches, I got it for 549.00, it has svid, component, and composite! Its a awsome TV for a great price.