OT: Why is XP So f'd up (DOS question)

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
When I load up dos using a boot disc (either through a 98ce boot or an XP Dos boot) I start out on the A:\ drive. If I try to go to my hard drive it says that it is an invalid drive or come thing there is no way to get to it.

If I open up a command prompt in winXP I can get to my C:\ drive and it is still a problem with my older games (cesarII) It looks like it is going to work and then all a sudden there is alot of none sence and then it says to report the error. WTF any help would be great!

Thanx!

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
This is probably because your hard drive is in NTFS format...which DOS CANNOT read. As stated previously, you will need to partition your drive making part of it the old style FAT32 format...and then you can use DOS (assuming you install DOS on your system).

Windows XP eliminates DOS entirely it is not the underlying OS as it was with 98. Now XP does have its own DOS shell, but it's basically XP emulating DOS and not true dos itself...

Basically you will need to do more than just toss in a boot disc.

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Is there any way to partition your drive without ( :mad: ) Formating the hard drive?