More Neo Geo classics for XBLA, and they're coming for PSN...

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
In response to Game|Life asking about the future of Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network releases of classic SNK titles (Metal Slug and 2D fighters specifically), the firm's representatives told me that the company plans to release classic titles on both systems during the next year.

Details were light (read: non-existant), but this news is the first confirmation that we will be seeing more of the company's classics on the popular downloadable services, and more importantly, an idea of when.

Try as I might they wouldn't reveal which titles will receive releases, but it was made clear that the company's popular series are already in the process of landing on the XBLA and PSN.
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/02/snk-confirms-20.html

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
Sweet! I've been waiting for more Neo classics to make it. Games like World Heroes and Fatal Fury made it to Wii, Last Blade on PSN, I want 'em on 360 heh...And what with the SF2 hd remix coming, I wish SNK would release RBFF2 on live arcade also!

DJ Daishi

Rugal's Thug
cyriades said:
Sweet! I've been waiting for more Neo classics to make it. Games like World Heroes and Fatal Fury made it to Wii, Last Blade on PSN, I want 'em on 360 heh...And what with the SF2 hd remix coming, I wish SNK would release RBFF2 on live arcade also!

World Heroes Collection is coming out this week.
can't wait to pick it up!

Last edited:

Rage of the Spyder

Zero's Secretary
This frosts me. Back in the XBOX days, I went out and paid full price for all the XBOX titles they released. Three months later, my XBOX broke and I went out and bought a 360, hoping to play my beloved SNK XBOX games. Now, instead of releasing patches for those games, they simply ignored their old customers, releasing many of those games on XBLA. I find that plain wrong, thinking that people are going to repurchase games for the same platform. And, for that reason, I wont support any of their XBLA games.

Battlesmurf

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Are the companies who produced the games responsible for patches- or is Microsoft the culprit?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Rage of the Spyder said:
This frosts me. Back in the XBOX days, I went out and paid full price for all the XBOX titles they released. Three months later, my XBOX broke and I went out and bought a 360, hoping to play my beloved SNK XBOX games. Now, instead of releasing patches for those games, they simply ignored their old customers, releasing many of those games on XBLA. I find that plain wrong, thinking that people are going to repurchase games for the same platform. And, for that reason, I wont support any of their XBLA games.

I think eventually they will get to them, but the process is taking forever. I'm in the same boat bro. I can play King of Fighters Neowave, but I can't play Samurai Showdown V. I can play Street Fighter Anniversary but I can't play Capcom vs Snk 2 EO. I don't know why Microsoft didn't just do what Sony did and go fully backward compatible.

Although I'm gonna disagree with you on the xbox live part. I think xbox live arcade titles are different than the original xbox games. They make them in hd with better sound quality and graphics unlike the Nintendo Virtual console that just emulates them. So I think when they release samsho 2 its gonna be an exact arcade port with no load times and probably in hd. Here is updated list of xbox originals that are playable on the 360 so far . A hard drive I believe is required.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Yeah but you'll buy a Wii game with many Samurai Showdown games on it for around $30 as opposed to buying just one XBLA game for about $10. I still say it's better to go with the Wii version.

KDash31987

Overtop Pathfinder
RAZO said:
I think eventually they will get to them, but the process is taking forever. I'm in the same boat bro. I can play King of Fighters Neowave, but I can't play Samurai Showdown V. I can play Street Fighter Anniversary but I can't play Capcom vs Snk 2 EO. I don't know why Microsoft didn't just do what Sony did and go fully backward compatible.

Microsoft didn't add full backwards compatibility because they couldn't. The Xbox used an NVidia card, and the Xbox 360 uses an ATI card. Their drivers are very different, thus, they were incompatible. The only way Microsoft could get them to be playable on the 360 is through emulation, and that can take a REALLY long time to do right, especially with how complex the original Xbox was compared to most other systems that have been emulated. So, people will just have to wait until Microsoft can emulate them.

RAZO said:
Although I'm gonna disagree with you on the xbox live part. I think xbox live arcade titles are different than the original xbox games. They make them in hd with better sound quality and graphics unlike the Nintendo Virtual console that just emulates them. So I think when they release samsho 2 its gonna be an exact arcade port with no load times and probably in hd. Here is updated list of xbox originals that are playable on the 360 so far . A hard drive I believe is required.

The Xbox Live Arcade versions are, usually, just emulated versions of the games running at a higher resolution, if I'm not mistaken. They usually also come with an option for filtering the graphics. They also have online play.
And, no, a hard drive is not required, but it is recommend. There's a size limit on Xbox Live Arcade titles so that any game can fit in a memory card. Recently, however, Microsoft upped the size limit, right when Castlevania: Symphony of the Night came out, which means that some newer titles might not fit in the original memory cards. However, Microsoft released memory cards with more space recently, to accommodate for it.

Tehcno said:
Yeah but you'll buy a Wii game with many Samurai Showdown games on it for around $30 as opposed to buying just one XBLA game for about $10. I still say it's better to go with the Wii version.

This is true, butttttt, the Xbox Live Arcade version has online play. ;D

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
KDash31987 said:
The Xbox Live Arcade versions are, usually, just emulated versions of the games running at a higher resolution, if I'm not mistaken.

Most xbox live games are redone in hd. And that goes for sound and graphics and the additional online play for certain games. If you call that an emualted version than your wrong. It is not an Emulated Version of the game. Do you even have an xbox 360? U must have not played rez hd, how about pac-man C.E, or maybe prince of persia, or puzzle fighter hd because if you did than you would notice the difference between the xbla version and the original versions of the game. I own a Wii and a 360 and I could tell the difference between an emulated version and a version that has been redone.

KDash31987

Overtop Pathfinder
RAZO said:
KDash31987 said:
The Xbox Live Arcade versions are, usually, just emulated versions of the games running at a higher resolution, if I'm not mistaken.

Most xbox live games are redone in hd. And that goes for sound and graphics and the additional online play for certain games. If you call that an emualted version than your wrong. It is not an Emulated Version of the game. Do you even have an xbox 360? U must have not played rez hd, how about pac-man C.E, or maybe prince of persia, or puzzle fighter hd because if you did than you would notice the difference between the xbla version and the original versions of the game. I own a Wii and a 360 and I could tell the difference between an emulated version and a version that has been redone.

I only meant Neo-Geo titles when I said that. And, yes, I do have an Xbox 360 (and Wii, as well, which you mentioned). And I've played all of those titles you mentioned, and, yes, those are indeed remade in high-definition. I was only referring to the Neo-Geo games, since, well, that's what the topic (and website) is about in the first place.

Last edited:

Rage of the Spyder

Zero's Secretary
RAZO said:

I hope you're right, but I seriously doubt it. It has been years, since these titles came out.

Last edited:

retro

Crazed MVS Addict
RAZO said:
...I don't know why Microsoft didn't just do what Sony did and go fully backward compatible.

Oh you mean that thing that Sony stopped doing too? As far as i know, hardware PS2 compatibility was only in the first version of the PS3. They even stopped doing that when the PS3 was released in Europe. All of the PS3's here work with software emulation, which means a lot less compatibility than the hardware version that was in the first batches of 60gb PS3's. And even that wasnt perfect.

Probably the biggest problem in getting the games to work isnt the ATI -> NVidia thing, but the fact that Xbox 1 used an x86 CPU (intel), and the 360 uses a PowerPC CPU which is a totally different beast.

KDash31987

Overtop Pathfinder
retro said:
Probably the biggest problem in getting the games to work isnt the ATI -> NVidia thing, but the fact that Xbox 1 used an x86 CPU (intel), and the 360 uses a PowerPC CPU which is a totally different beast.

Yeah, that, too. It's been a long time since I read about it... And since I read a lot about graphics cards, I guess that part just stuck with me better. Thanks for reminding me (and helping inform the others, too).

Rage of the Spyder

Zero's Secretary
KDash31987 said:
Yeah, that, too. It's been a long time since I read about it... And since I read a lot about graphics cards, I guess that part just stuck with me better. Thanks for reminding me (and helping inform the others, too).

Nobody in this thread is worried about why backwards compatibility isn't a given. THis isn't a hardware discussion, but one of ethics. The question on the table is why is SNK so lazy that they can do the patch work for KOF02, but not for KOF03, which were included as a two disc set for the XBOX. That's just crap, man, any way you want to slice it, so let's not make this about backwards compatibility.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
KDash31987 said:
RAZO said:
I only meant Neo-Geo titles when I said that. And, yes, I do have an Xbox 360 (and Wii, as well, which you mentioned). And I've played all of those titles you mentioned, and, yes, those are indeed remade in high-definition. I was only referring to the Neo-Geo games, since, well, that's what the topic (and website) is about in the first place.

Ok your right on with the neo-geo titles, but why would they even try to mess with neo-geo titles if there already arcade perfect games. And they only have 2 titles so far and thats Fatal Fury Special and metal slug 3. For us it doesn't matter because we own most of these games on MVS or Aes, but for the people who don't have Neo-Geo consoles or arcades look forward for these titles to be released on PS2, Xbox, WII, whatever... Hopefully in the future they remix these games like Super Street Fighter II.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Rage of the Spyder said:
I hope you're right, but I seriously doubt it. It has been years, since these titles came out.

It sucks, but if you really feel like playing those xbox titles, pick up a used Xbox @ gamestop for $55, or emulate those xbox titles on a super computer. I know it sucks that you have to have an extra system lying around, but for now thats the only solution.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
retro said:
Oh you mean that thing that Sony stopped doing too? As far as i know, hardware PS2 compatibility was only in the first version of the PS3. They even stopped doing that when the PS3 was released in Europe. All of the PS3's here work with software emulation, which means a lot less compatibility than the hardware version that was in the first batches of 60gb PS3's. And even that wasnt perfect.

I happen to have a 60gb Ps3 that I regret paying all that money for. Sony promises all these awesome original titles and I haven't seen anything worth buying yet. I'm happier with the 360 and I think it is a better system than the ps3, but thats a whole other topic. My ps2 games get more play on my ps3 then ps3 titles. I was pissed when I found out I couldn't play my Import Ps2 titles on it. And your right, even on my 60gb I noticed some problelms running Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on my ps3 (Sound Issues). Very disappointed with sony.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Rage of the Spyder said:
The question on the table is why is SNK so lazy that they can do the patch work for KOF02, but not for KOF03, which were included as a two disc set for the XBOX.
You mean why is Microsoft so lazy, not SNK. The 3rd party licensees don't work on 360 backwards compatibility drivers.

Rage of the Spyder

Zero's Secretary
Deuce said:
You mean why is Microsoft so lazy, not SNK. The 3rd party licensees don't work on 360 backwards compatibility drivers.

No. I meant what I originally said, not what you think I meant to say.

Rage of the Spyder

Zero's Secretary
RAZO said:
It sucks, but if you really feel like playing those xbox titles, pick up a used Xbox @ gamestop for $55, or emulate those xbox titles on a super computer. I know it sucks that you have to have an extra system lying around, but for now thats the only solution.

But, you see, that's my point. We shouldn't be forced to do that. That is just wrong.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Rage of the Spyder said:
But, you see, that's my point. We shouldn't be forced to do that. That is just wrong.

I understand were your coming from, but when you Owned a Sega Saturn, were you able to play Sega Cd games on it. When you owned a Sega Dreamcast, were you able to play Sega Saturn games on it. They don't have to make anything backwards compatible if they don't want to. They do if they want.

Last edited:

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Rage of the Spyder said:
No. I meant what I originally said, not what you think I meant to say.
Ah, okay. Then you're one of those.