purple screen on a phoenixed cps2 game?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I just went to take pictures of my new arcade set up, and for some reason my cps2 game just showed a purple screen and nothing more. It's not the jamma set up itself, as I just tried two other games on it and they work great. What's up with this? Is it the mother board or the phoenixed game itself? It's worked for years, but just now didn't... anyone have a stab as to why?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Yeah, I tried that.... nothing. It's like I can't get a tight connection on it, as the motherboard is certainly fired up. It's not the Jamma... I'll keep messing with the A-B connection. I find it really odd, however, that it suddenly doesn't work after NOT touching it. Hmm.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
Yeah, I tried that.... nothing. It's like I can't get a tight connection on it, as the motherboard is certainly fired up. It's not the Jamma... I'll keep messing with the A-B connection. I find it really odd, however, that it suddenly doesn't work after NOT touching it. Hmm.

Did you try a different game in the A board? I had an A board corrode on the jamma edge so it didnt have contact with something.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I haven't any other CPS2 stuff to check it with, sadly... It's not the connection between the two boards, as I've played with that a lot (just now)... at one time I could barely get the back apart again. Hmmm. This sucks.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Connected tighter than hell, I opened up the B board to see if anything looked bad... everything looks normal. Is it possible the A board just went bad?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Okay, still can't get anything. Could it be the phoenixed roms or whatever are bad? (it should be obvious at this point I don't know WTF I'm talking about).

Blur2040

Crossed Swords Squire
Try checking your 5v. I recently had a problem where all my other Jamma games would boot with the exception of my sole CPS2 board. It turned out the 5v was a bit too low for the CPS2's taste.

If it's a new setup, it might be the problem.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Blur2040 said:
Try checking your 5v. I recently had a problem where all my other Jamma games would boot with the exception of my sole CPS2 board. It turned out the 5v was a bit too low for the CPS2's taste.

If it's a new setup, it might be the problem.

It's been in the same cab for years. YEARS. I'm not sure, but it's pissing me off. Really pissing me off. :mad:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Cheers to Blur for the pow supply theory. I cranked it up, and that shit works great again! Whew, crisis averted!

Blur2040

Crossed Swords Squire
Glad to hear it worked.

I purchased a Street Fighter Alpha 2 board locally---he demoed it, it worked, I got it for a pittance. When I got home and tested it a few hours later, I thought the battery had died in the meantime. I was a very unhappy pappy until I fiddled with the 5v.