Cabinet Restoration v.KOF 2k (Pics)

.trunzx

n00b
I recently acquired a King of fighters 2000 arcade game. As you can tell by the pictures its not in good shape but the system does seem to be complete. When I plug it in the monitor powers on and a thin green line goes from one side of the screen to the other. I checked the monitors power connection and it is getting power. The PCB's (MV-1) power led does turn on, along with the power supply's led. The speakers emit a ringing sound with the speaker switch in the "right" position but not in the "left" position (left and right based on my pictures of the motherboard).

So basically I plug it in, the screen turns on, a ringing noise comes from the speakers and a green horizontal line is displayed on the screen. Nothing else happens no matter how long it is on for.

I'm confident it will look great once I'm done restoring it. Before I can get it running, I have some questions:

- Based on my description of the machine, is it likely that my pcb is dead? If the motherboard was working wouldn't there still be sound from the game?

- I just bought an MV-2F to replace my MV-1. Is it a plug and play replacement or do I need to modify the wiring?

Anyway, here are the pictures:

16813095eh9.jpg

38908707ui1.jpg

67903775jl6.jpg

17309405dl4.jpg

96452378ux8.jpg

83391349jw8.jpg

63328962ro0.jpg

Thats all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance for any guesses to what might be wrong.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Wow, dusty!

I'm no expert.
But first thing I'd do is disconnect the power and take a can of compressed air to it to dust it off. Then maybe take some Q-tips and clean it down with some electronics cleaner (contacts on the board and cart included.). Doubly clean the contacts with the cart and slot with a pencil eraser, just to be sure.

Eyeball the board and make sure no traces are broken.
After that, I'm not sure. But someone else is sure to jump to the rescue by then. I hope. :emb:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Does the monitor have a small adjustment board with pots.it would be somthing with wires coming frmo the monitor(looks like small PCB with circled pots)

Anyway..sometimes if they are not plugged in right or a pot is messed up you'll get a green line..

Behind that power supply looks to be an isolation transformer..make sure the wires are on that real good as that wil also cause a line in the monitor..

That looks to be a lockout/knockout switch in the back of the cab.....I think it has to be pulled out(clicked) to work on the cab with it on..(or taped in..

http://www.hardmvs.com/

.trunzx

n00b
KagerouSama said:
Wow, dusty!

I'm no expert.
But first thing I'd do is disconnect the power and take a can of compressed air to it to dust it off. Then maybe take some Q-tips and clean it down with some electronics cleaner (contacts on the board and cart included.). Doubly clean the contacts with the cart and slot with a pencil eraser, just to be sure.

Eyeball the board and make sure no traces are broken.
After that, I'm not sure. But someone else is sure to jump to the rescue by then. I hope. :emb:

Believe it or not thats after I thoroughly went over it with some compressed air :lolz: I pulled out the cartridge and noticed it was pretty badly scratched.

11hv5.jpg

Looks like someone really didn't like KOF 2000 :oh_no: I have another game coming in, I'll test out the mobo with that new game as well before I rip it out.

chris1 said:
Does the monitor have a small adjustment board with pots.it would be somthing with wires coming frmo the monitor(looks like small PCB with circled pots)

Anyway..sometimes if they are not plugged in right or a pot is messed up you'll get a green line..

Behind that power supply looks to be an isolation transformer..make sure the wires are on that real good as that wil also cause a line in the monitor..

That looks to be a lockout/knockout switch in the back of the cab.....I think it has to be pulled out(clicked) to work on the cab with it on..(or taped in..

http://www.hardmvs.com/

49154605uz1.jpg

I believe this is the board you're referring to. I played around with it and I can change the brightness, color of the line, and some other things. Didn't seem to make any significant changes.

The white switch is indeed a lockout switch. I normally have that door closed so I can turn on the machine.

After I read about you're comment on the isolation transformer I went to take another look at it. This is what I saw:

10wi5.jpg

12ct4.jpg

I'm a noob when it comes to this, but that doesn't look right :confused:

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
.trunzx said:
Believe it or not thats after I thoroughly went over it with some compressed air :lolz: I pulled out the cartridge and noticed it was pretty badly scratched.

11hv5.jpg

Looks like someone really didn't like KOF 2000 :oh_no: I have another game coming in, I'll test out the mobo with that new game as well before I rip it out.
Wow. I knew 2k wasn't a lot of people's favorite KOF, but I wouldn't think someone would go through the trouble to actually destroy the cart. (I liked the game, myself.)

Though, from the pictures, it almost looks like graphite from a pencil.
Have you tried the eraser trick yet? Or can you feel the scratches etched into the cart?
(I'm trying to be optimistic. Could just be a destroyed cart. But I must see it live! LIVE!)

As per the electrical wires, it looks like someone filleted them with a knife to yank something out of there. Alas, I are a elektronik n00b as well. Good luck on that part of the project.

You should be able to score a MVS copy of 2k on the cheap if you want that as a dedicated cab. Heck, any game '99-2k2 should fit the theme with most all the same characters and fit the overall theme if you're going for that timeline in the series.

I can personally recommend ckchan. He's in Hong Kong, and shipping can be a little expensive. But you get a great deal all in all. Great seller.

His current selling thread doesn't list anything MVS, but you can always PM him and ask.

SSS

neo retired
rofl, who in their right mind would cram a neo in an ugly Gremlin/Sega convert-a-cab?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Even with a bum cart, he should still get the MVS cross hatch pattern and test mode.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
what about the power supply to the motherboard?

.trunzx

n00b
KagerouSama said:
Wow. I knew 2k wasn't a lot of people's favorite KOF, but I wouldn't think someone would go through the trouble to actually destroy the cart. (I liked the game, myself.)

Though, from the pictures, it almost looks like graphite from a pencil.
Have you tried the eraser trick yet? Or can you feel the scratches etched into the cart?
(I'm trying to be optimistic. Could just be a destroyed cart. But I must see it live! LIVE!)

As per the electrical wires, it looks like someone filleted them with a knife to yank something out of there. Alas, I are a elektronik n00b as well. Good luck on that part of the project.

You should be able to score a MVS copy of 2k on the cheap if you want that as a dedicated cab. Heck, any game '99-2k2 should fit the theme with most all the same characters and fit the overall theme if you're going for that timeline in the series.

I can personally recommend ckchan. He's in Hong Kong, and shipping can be a little expensive. But you get a great deal all in all. Great seller.

His current selling thread doesn't list anything MVS, but you can always PM him and ask.

I tried the eraser trick but the scratches are too deep. Looks like someone took a screwdriver and went to town.

Thanks, I'll contact him once I get it working properly.

Xavier said:
what about the power supply to the motherboard?

Looks like the motherboard has power. I haven't measured it yet, but the led works and the switches have an impact on the speakers. I'm quite sure this pcb is fried at this point. I'll just junk it and try out the 2 slot I'm getting.

.trunzx

n00b
I just received the 2-slot.

On hard-mvs the MV-1 is a Jamma board while the 2 slot is MVS. Is it plug and play or do I have to modify the harness?

Kuriakos

Kula's Candy
the 2 slot only has a couple differences like stereo sound and the need for a select button to go between the two games. You can look at the comparison on http://www.hardmvs.com . I'm pretty sure it won't damage the board or the cab to put it in there and fire it up, but I don't think you will get any sound.

GF_74

n00b
.trunzx said:
Well I tested out the 2 slot and it works however the monitor doesn't. My question is will this monitor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/25-INCH-STANDAR...ryZ13718QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

work with my mvs board and power supply? I have RGB, gnd and sync. Is that different from CGA?

The monitor looks like it should work fine with either board (in good condition). You said that the two-slot worked but the monitor did not. I am guessing that you had sound but no picture? Did you have anything on the screen? Do you see a glow from the end of the tube?

The isolating transformer looks a little odd to me. Generally you have you AC voltage in on one side and your isolated voltage out on the other. From the pictures you posted, it looks like the outputs have been cut. Are there any outputs from the transformer to the monitor board and have you tested their voltage (it should be either 100v or 110v)?

Also, with the cart, as long as those connectors are not completely cut, the scratches are likely to be just cosmetic.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Before buying another monitor.

I would check to see if the monitor in the cab is atleast wired/hooked up ..as it just may not be for some reason..

If you buy another monitor your going to still be in the same boat with hooking it up so I'd make sure the current one in it is hooked up right first.

.trunzx

n00b
GF_74 said:
The monitor looks like it should work fine with either board (in good condition). You said that the two-slot worked but the monitor did not. I am guessing that you had sound but no picture? Did you have anything on the screen? Do you see a glow from the end of the tube?

The isolating transformer looks a little odd to me. Generally you have you AC voltage in on one side and your isolated voltage out on the other. From the pictures you posted, it looks like the outputs have been cut. Are there any outputs from the transformer to the monitor board and have you tested their voltage (it should be either 100v or 110v)?

Also, with the cart, as long as those connectors are not completely cut, the scratches are likely to be just cosmetic.

The monitor basically lights up black with a thin vertical colored line. Without input it is usually green. When I hook up the dead 1-slot it doesn't change. If I hook up the 2-slot it starts to change colors and pulsates with small circles going across (keep in mind this is all happening in a 0.5cm tall line so I can't see in too much detail), this leads me to believe the 1-slot is dead. I didn't hook up the sound but either way I'm sure the 2-slot works.

I haven't tried simply reattaching the wires on the transformer. Is there a risk I might get badly shocked if I took some wire strippers and connected the cut wires? Thats pretty much the only reason I haven't tried that yet.

Looking at the cart, the 1-slot and the transformer makes me think someone did all that damage on purpose so the machine wouldn't work. I think theres a chance the cart still works, I haven't been able to test it for sure yet though.

chris1 said:
I would check to see if the monitor in the cab is atleast wired/hooked up ..as it just may not be for some reason..

If you buy another monitor your going to still be in the same boat with hooking it up so I'd make sure the current one in it is hooked up right first.

The only thing not hooked up are the wires on the transformer (which are cut). The RGB, sync and ground are all hooked up, as well as power for the monitor.

I figured if I bought a new monitor it wouldn't have a charge that I would have to worry about shocking me. I just bought a Simpsons machine a couple days ago so even if the monitors good I can use it in the Simpsons machine which has a small 19inch. The Simpsons monitor is darker on one side, but after it warms up it brightens up. Sounds like a cap kit might fix it.

So should I just connect the cut wires before I rip that monitor out? Any danger of getting shocked?

I started restoring the cabinet, finished sanding and patching the cracks. I got the first coat of paint on the majority of the cabinet.
This a photoshop of what it'll look like when its done:

38908707ui1.jpg
89162484jv5.jpg

And actual pics:

21195144kh4.jpg

12291663vq2.jpg

40532860xx2.jpg

49206610tf9.jpg

60100927li5.jpg

22557936po6.jpg

and the Simpsons Cabinet (This one actually works :drool:) :

19928657gh0.jpg

GF_74

n00b
My cabinet had a very similar issue with the picture.
IMG_2171.JPG

Small oscillating line in the center. It turned out that one of the windings on the vertical deflection coil on the yoke was broken. Have you tested the resistance of the vertical and horizontal deflection on the yoke. You should be able to find some advice on this in this board as well as some reference resistances.

With regards to the transformer if it does not have two lead in (ac in) and two or more that terminate on the monitor board i am not sure the monitor would work too well. Then again, your monitor may not need an isolating transformer at all so that is why the wires have been cut.

I would check the yoke first and ignore the transformer for the moment.

.trunzx

n00b
Thanks to everyone that helped. I installed the new monitor, still waiting on the t-molding however.

Final pics:

78974523ag7.jpg

53520765jq6.jpg

13375817ew5.jpg

82144168yn8.jpg

43501475hv2.jpg

49926052dz4.jpg

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Nice improvement.. I wouldn't have thought you could see the credit counters through the marquee.

WTF is with the control panel on the Simpsons? :lolz:

Last edited:

.trunzx

n00b
Hewitson said:
Nice improvement.. I wouldn't have thought you could see the credit counters through the marquee.

WTF is with the control panel on the Simpsons? :lolz:

Yeah, I don't know why they would put them behind the marquee . I would have moved them somewhere else but I couldn't find a good spot, besides behind the monitor bezel, but I don't want to cut it up.

The Simpsons machine used to be a Crime Fighters Cab. Both are 4-player Konami games but Crime Fighters came out 2 years earlier, so the control panel isn't exactly the same shape. This is the overlay for the conversion which I'm using. Oh, and the control panel is missing the t-molding.

untitlseded1vl9.jpg

Kuriakos said:
did the one slot end up being bad?

Don't know yet. Tomorrow I'll plug it in and see what happens.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
That came out real nice, good job!

I couldn't see the credit counters. Good idea there.

.trunzx

n00b
Kuriakos said:
if it works ok, I might be interested in taking it off your hands.

I just tried it, doesn't work.

And it fried my KOF2k cartridge :blow_top: I get lots of graphical glitches and no sound. :(