Attention! Afterburner mod on NGPC difficulties/problems! Pics! Warning dialup users!

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
Ok, I got the afterburner I ordered and thought I would open up one of my NGPCs and do a dry fit ( I wasn't going to do the mod tonight ). I found a couple of problem areas:

1. The afterburner is not big enough. As hard as it may seem, the GBA's screen is not as tall as the NGPC's... This I knew already, but since I couldn't find the actual size of the screen in millimeters, I calculated off the pixel size and count ( 160 * 0.3mm ). With this I anticipated the afterburner to be a little bit over 1 mm too short. Alas , it turned out to be a little over 2 mm too short. See pic:

ngpc10a

2. As I anticipated, the afterburner is too wide... Not too much of a problem, but there is quite a bit of plastic that has to be cut/filed off ( the yellow line is the outline of the afterburner, the red line is the plastic that has to be cut out ) :

ngpc11

3. The space inside the NGPC is tighter than I thought. By installing the afterburner , the LCD screen will be pushed back towards the PCB board, but it should still be ok...

4. Just a note for people who want to take the LCD screen out: The metal plate that's over it is NOT a cover, it is part of the screen. Be very careful when prying it off...

I might not do this afterburner mod, as I don't know how it will look as the afterburner is about 2mm's short...
I'll probably get 2 white LEDs to fool around with first. ;)

Sorry about the crappy pics, I can't really take close-ups with my cheap digi-cam...

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Bummer that it's not a closer fit.

I wonder if there would be a way to fill that space with something else that would help to light that area? Maybe an element or something reflective.

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by broken:
<strong>Bummer that it's not a closer fit.

I wonder if there would be a way to fill that space with something else that would help to light that area? Maybe an element or something reflective.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was thinking about filling it in with a piece of transparent plastic, but I don't wanna mess up the mod and lose the afterburner ( as I will get a GBA sooner or later anyway ) ;)