RGB/TV monitor, can it be this easy ?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
In a word... 'YES' No RGB-NTSC Converter is needed when you use an RGB Monitor (Commercial or Arcade) Thi is the arcade unit broken down into parts:
The monitor= TRUE RGB
The Super Gun = Control Panel with break-away joysticks & BASE(the under body of the machine that the control panel rests on)The harness is along the side of the base and the power supply,ISO rest on the bottom.
You can't house a PCB in a Super Gun but that would be the third part of it.
raid.gif

-BB

searchingtom

NEST Puppet
Thanks for responding Big Bear,

If you drill into the specs on the link you will see that RGB signal compatibility is: VGA, SVGA, XGA, & MAC - which one is the MVS ??

The input terminal is 15 pin D-Sub x2...

that would be a fairly is terminal to solder on to the Jamma harness ??

Thanks,

searchingtom

C

Caris Nautilus

Searching Tom what exactley are you trying to figure out?

MVS uses Raster RGB, as do 95% of jamma games. That link you have to that TV looks nothing more than a monitor set to accept TV signal, and RGB. It could just be a TV with an RGB to NTSC converter built in.

To hook a super gun up to a non arcade RGB monitor you will have to find out what kind of plug the RGB input for the monitor is. If it is a Scart plug
(Which most are) the easiest way is to buy a cheap scart cable for whatever, and hack the end off of it. You would then wire up the sync, ground, red, green and blue lines FROM the jamma harness to that scart cable. Then wallah, you have video to your monitor.

I do the same thing for my home consoles on my arcade monitor. I wire up the video from say a dreamcast or PSX scart cable to a jamma fingerboard, then hook that to my cabinet and you've got video in RGB.

All you need for arcade rgb is sync, red, green, blue and ground. it's that simple.

[This message has been edited by Caris Nautilus (edited March 14, 2001).]

searchingtom

NEST Puppet
Thanks for responding Caris,

What I am trying to do is use the same TV for my Dreamcast that I do for my super gun. I am unsure as to what RGB to NTSC converter to use because I have heard horror stories of the converter killing a WEGA TV for example (expensive problem). Also, when I owned an HGA, the TV would break up everytime the action got intense - this really hurts the quality of the gaming...

Best option would be a very good converter, but which one is the issue...

Thanks,

searchingtom

C

Caris Nautilus

Hey,

RGB - NTSC converters tend to suck. Jamma games are in no way meant to be played on a regular TV. If you own a super gun I would suggest using S-Video.

If you want to use the same monitor for your home systems and jamma games its simple. I would suggest getting an arcade cabinet, or an RGB monitor. You will be able to hook all your systems up to it, with the use of RGB scart cables which are very cheap (5-15 dollars each).

You could then wire the scart cable directly into the monitor with a custom end, or just get a jamma finger board and hook the custom system cable to your jamma harness, playing to te monitor that way.

The best bet is to get an RGB capable monitor, I have my saturn, dreamcast, psx and PS2 running into my arcade cabinets monitor, so it will work for you too. Virtually every system runs in RGB, save a few like the Jaguar i think.

[This message has been edited by Caris Nautilus (edited March 14, 2001).]

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Oh forgot to mention that the RGB monitor must be 'Analog'.The monitor you have pointed out to us is digital.I have been told that it is not possible to hook an MVS board to a digital monitor.
I own an old 1989 Magnavox 13" monitor with the digital 8 pin connection and after plugging in the pinouts it works fine.
This monitor is equivalent to the 1084S digital. I attach all the connections minus the intensity.
Here is a linkhttp://www.hwb.acc.umu.se//co_C1084d.html

You know Sony Triniton (PVM models,etc) work.
They have the BNC & VTR Connections.
raid.gif

-BB

mliu92

n00b
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by searchingtom:
{snip}

If you drill into the specs on the link you will see that RGB signal compatibility is: VGA, SVGA, XGA, & MAC - which one is the MVS ??

{snip}

Short answer: none of the above.

Long and potentially boring answer: MVS RGB is analog RGB sync'ing at 15.7 KHz, whereas VGA/SVGA/XGA signals are analog RGB sync'ing at 30+ KHz (generally around 85-100 for most modern VGA monitors).

Back when IBM was introducing the PS/2's (1990-91 ish), they introduced the VGA standard, which was a high-sync analog RGB system to replace the then defacto standard of CGA/EGA, which was a low-sync (15.7 KHz) digital RGB signal. Other computers - such as the Apple //gs and Amiga - utilized a low-sync analog RGB signal. To cut down on production costs, several companies including NEC and Magnavox introduced monitors that could be used with both Amigas and IBM-compatibles - hence they could do either digital or analog, and sync at multiple refresh rates.

As the Amiga and other computers were pretty much crushed out of existence by the Wintel behemoth, many monitors dropped the option to sync at 15.7 KHz; hence most commercially available RGB to NTSC converters won't accept a 15.7 KHz signal without something like an upscan converter (which would let you use the same VGA monitor with the supergun and the Dreamcast) for $200+.

Analog Devices has a few good chips that handle the RGB to NTSC conversion in a single chip, with a few external discrete components. Look for the AD722 or AD724.

------------------
Cheers - Mike

neonut

Crossed Swords Squire
I too am looking for a rgb monitor. I have a mvs dediceted. I recently bought a home cart system an after playing my neo on a rgb, s video is not good enough. I want to play it on a rgb, but the only one I can find is MAS which is $ 800 not bad but it has a wood casing and no audio. The link posted by seachingtom, will that do and give me exact same quality as my RGB in my cabinet. THANKS................ NEONUT http://www.sampo.com.tw/english/show/monitor/monitor.htm

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
If you really want to play your Dreamcast and your neo geo mvs on the same screen than get a 6 button jamma cab and an mvs board and one of these babies!!!!!!!!

http://www.lik-sang.com/msie.php3?dest=us&lang=en&curr1=usd&country=us&ref=&session=3d22249e786068db2852a290f7c7d141

[DC Arcade System

This item is for all those hardcore video game players with a Arcade Machine in their home or even for Arcade Hall owners. The DC Arcade system will let you add the DC machine to your Arcade Rack using the industry standard Arcade connector. The Arcade Joypads, Guns, Steering Wheel or even the coin-counter will work as usual. Dreamcast machine is not included. This new version supports PAL and NTSC systems, as well as NTSC and PAL games.]

------------------
--Shaper MC
neogeo.gif

--BUY MVS ONLY--