Static problems on pcb's?

Mike

Bead Banger
Does anyone know how easy it is to aquire a static charge on your pcb's to the point that they won't run anymore?

Anyone know how to de-charge it?

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
As for arcade game PCBs, I don't know just how susceptible they are to ESD (electrostatic discharge). ESD is a problem that plagues all sorts of electronics, and is a big nuisance to those who work with PCs on a regular basis. Some hardware is definitely more ESD sensitive than other types, requiring only a few millivolts of it in order to "kill" the hardware. Just observe a few obvious precautions with your PCBs and you should be just fine 1) don't walk across a carpet while holding a PCB or touch one after walking across a carpet and 2) if possible, store your boards in anti-static bags (old PC motherboard anti-static bags are perfect for this). 3) Always remember to "discharge" yourself by touching a bare metal surface before handling PCBs.

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
Oh, and I forgot to answer this...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Anyone know how to de-charge it?

Once a piece of hardware has been ESD damaged, it's almost always beyond repair. ESD physically changes/damages ICs, so as you can see, ESD problems are something you definitely want to take precautionary measures against. Metal melts, junction breakdowns and oxide failures are all common effects of ESD damage. ESD is a real pain in the arse.

[This message has been edited by DolphinLord (edited March 13, 2001).]

Mike

Bead Banger
I checked out this site that sells ESD protective bags and such.

They actually sell a bag that can de-charge pcb boards.

do you think that is true?

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
Could you post a link to this site? I'm interested in checking out their products. Maybe it means that it can "de-charge" a non-lethal level of static that may have accumulated on a PCB. Surely they aren't claiming that they sell a bag that can undo static induced damage that has already occured.

Mike

Bead Banger
Hey I saw a pic of your 2 slot neo hooked up to a supernova. How do you like that set up?
The reason I ask is that I am actually going for the same set up, and I was just curious how you like it. (I really hope I didn't get ESD on my 2 slot...I'd go crazy)