KOF98UM intro

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Dunno if anyone else already pointed this out, but SNKP has posted on the game official site the intro. Staying true to the idea of 'upgrading the original without altering its identity' the intro is also an updated version for KOF98 original intro.

Here is a direct link for your easiest reference:

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof98um/movie/index.html

Man I'm gonna get my very first PS2 for this one...

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
both music and intro had a weird and unbalanced feel about it. I don't know, just my impression.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The intro music has too many notes. If they took some away, it'd be perfect.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
C'mon, guyz!

We know SNK is doing a great effort to have this game art and style seamlessly fitting with the original 98. Just look of the Shinkirou-like art of the characters. Look at the new portraits. This is a very remarkable effort IMHO, devoted to the most devoted SNK fans! :)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Maybe it's the recording, but it sounds flat. I was never a big fan of the '98 opening to begin with, though.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Cipher is one of my favorite KOF introductions.
However, this opening sounds rushed compared to the original w/rhythm guitar.
I understand that they needed to edit to fit the new opening.
Here's hoping that they don't forsake the original AST BGM for the rest of the game though.

Sigh.

I may be hoping for the unthinkable.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
I was never a big fan of the '98 opening to begin with, though.

Same here. I always though '98 intro lacked the 'crescendo up to a climax' pace which made '96 intro just... perfect.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
BTW, full cast is made up of '98 original + '96 boss team + Eiji and Kasumi (edit character together with Shingo) + Goenitz (mid boss together with Omega Rugal) + Orochi (Final Boss).

Cool.

I love the fact they used Kasumi original '96 sprite (no ponytail!) instead of the '99 redone one, but edited the former. Again: consistency. This game really has the flavor of 'what original KOF98 could have been if not for the cart memory limitation'..

But does anyone knows the complete list of EX charas?

In original '98 they where 12 iirc.

Ryo
Robert
Yuri
Terry
Andy
Joe
Mai
Billy
Yashiro
Shermie
Chris
Rugal

right?

I think they announced something like 24 EX characters.

They added Orochi Iori and Orochi Leona, for you can spot them both in the new intro.

We saw quite a bit of new moves for more than one chara on various sources, but it's kind of hard to figure if those new moves has just been implemented in the regular chara move set, or they belongs to an EX version for that chara.

Any information?

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Rade said:
The intro music has too many notes. If they took some away, it'd be perfect.
I really, really hope you're making fun of the people bitching, because this thread is already full of some of the most idiotic, elitist fault-finding I've ever seen. And not just on this forum.

Looking down on ports and those who didn't spend tons of money on a Neo collection was (and, I suspect, still is), the stock in trade of one Dion Dakis.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Deuce said:
I really, really hope you're making fun of the people bitching, because this thread is already full of some of the most idiotic, elitist fault-finding I've ever seen. And not just on this forum.

Looking down on ports and those who didn't spend tons of money on a Neo collection was (and, I suspect, still is), the stock in trade of one Dion Dakis.
:spock:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Deuce said:

Who shit in your cereal? This thread contains 12 posts, NONE of which are bitching about or looking down on ports in any way whatsoever. Watch the video. The recording sounds flat. That is not a bitch about ports or anything else. It doesn't even necessarily reflect what the actual game will sound like in person. It's an observation.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
SouthtownKid said:
The recording sounds flat.
It's a streamed flash video. You're expecting 48kHz 24-bit audio or something?

And the bitching is about it being different from the original. No more, no less. Same as it ever was.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
Who shit in your cereal?
poopie flakes - comes with actual fecal matter! Deuce won't eat any other brand.
poopie flakes - it's the shit!

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Guys, you're all oh-so-cool and whatever, but you're basically talking about yourself, not about the game or the Neo. I know 'you come for the Neo you stay for the drama', but hey... if you're into this thread what about its subject?

You can start answering to my ideas and questions, yes.

Peace and love and Neo.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Shito said:
Guys, you're all oh-so-cool and whatever, but you're basically talking about yourself, not about the game or the Neo. I know 'you come for the Neo you stay for the drama', but hey... if you're into this thread what about its subject?

You can start answering to my ideas and questions, yes.

Peace and love and Neo.

but it's not on the neo

(oh shit, now Deuce is going to go ballisttic! :( )

the intro variation is all right - it's not up to the level of the original - looks a bit tacky - but they went with the 16bit (24 bit) feel and that's great, because that's how an intro to a 2D fighting game should be, regardless of when it was made.

best art in a KOF game was 2K for me - no contest. that game has the best win intermission art of any KOF.
I actually think KOF94 has the best intro of any KOF - especially with Kyo at the end. classic and perfect. and very fresh - FF and AoF teams taunting each other for the first time ever (baring Ryo in FFS but that doesn't count) - it was amazing back then.

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I'll buy the game. It'll be interesting to see an SNKP spin on '98.. which is the best KOF, IMO and is a game that doesn't need any doctoring.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Shito said:
BTW, full cast is made up of '98 original + '96 boss team + Eiji and Kasumi (edit character together with Shingo) + Goenitz (mid boss together with Omega Rugal) + Orochi (Final Boss).

Cool.

I love the fact they used Kasumi original '96 sprite (no ponytail!) instead of the '99 redone one, but edited the former. Again: consistency. This game really has the flavor of 'what original KOF98 could have been if not for the cart memory limitation'..

But does anyone knows the complete list of EX charas?

In original '98 they where 12 iirc.

Ryo
Robert
Yuri
Terry
Andy
Joe
Mai
Billy
Yashiro
Shermie
Chris
Rugal

right?

I think they announced something like 24 EX characters.

They added Orochi Iori and Orochi Leona, for you can spot them both in the new intro.

We saw quite a bit of new moves for more than one chara on various sources, but it's kind of hard to figure if those new moves has just been implemented in the regular chara move set, or they belongs to an EX version for that chara.

Any information?
Your memory is good. Only one you missed is Kyo. (95 Style)
Did you have to get 97/98 wins to unlock him? Or is it just the pocket R1 that had this stipulation?

@Deuce:
This complaining in this thread isn't directed at my post, is it?
All I said was that it sounds rushed.
I didn't mean that in production terms. I meant it as far as tempo goes.
Also didn't say it was bad.

I also agree with jeff bogard. It does feel unbalanced. It just goes by a little too fast for my liking.

Or are you merely flame baiting again?

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
but it's not on the neo

(oh shit, now Deuce is going to go ballisttic! :( )

the intro variation is all right - it's not up to the level of the original - looks a bit tacky - but they went with the 16bit (24 bit) feel and that's great, because that's how an intro to a 2D fighting game should be, regardless of when it was made.

best art in a KOF game was 2K for me - no contest. that game has the best win intermission art of any KOF.
I actually think KOF94 has the best intro of any KOF - especially with Kyo at the end. classic and perfect. and very fresh - FF and AoF teams taunting each other for the first time ever (baring Ryo in FFS but that doesn't count) - it was amazing back then.

Mmmh, as for intros, I would say 95 and particularly 96 are the best ones, just to stylish a well paced. '98 always seemed a bit dull to me. KOF2003 had a stylish intro too, more cinematic (less 16-bittish one would say).

As for art and style, well for me KOF2001 is top notch. Nona did a remarkable work on that one, and that was the very first KOF sporting cool art with an attitude. I mean, c'mon, Shinkirou always pictured not the actual characters, but more likely *cosplayer dressing as those characters* to me. Nona actually put each character unique personality in his portrait. Same goes with in-game art: 2000 was nice, yes. But very, very anime-like. 2001 was stunning under that regard. 2001 demos are fantastic imho, and the opening is awesome as well (the most 'narrative/storytelling' intro in a series).

Oh, you say KOF2001 bgs and music were mostly shit? True that. But you cant' be perfect, they say... ;)

PS
Hiroaki is top notch as well. KoF2001 poster (have you ever seen the complete version, featuring Kula and K9999?) is most likely the very best KOF illust EVAR!)

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
KagerouSama said:
Your memory is good. Only one you missed is Kyo. (95 Style)
Did you have to get 97/98 wins to unlock him? Or is it just the pocket R1 that had this stipulation?

Right, classic Kyo was in. Actually EX chara were 12 EXCLUDING Omega Rugal, which was available in AES mode only, not on MVS iirc...

Man I hope for a toned-down, selectable (via code) version of Goenitz as well.
Orochi I can do without him as a playable chara. Too much of a cheesy boss, can't even crouch, not really ever intended to be playable.

An EX version of Geese is highly expected, for a pic sported his 'nightmare grab' (the one with the lighting coming down) plus double shippukken.

Also an EX version of Mary is very possible. EX (classic) King is also expected.

So including Omega Rugal, Orochi Iori and Orochi Leona, that would means 6 ex chara to add to the original 12. If the announced 24 is respected, we're still missing another 6!

Mmmh... Yamazaki maybe? Mr.Big?

Maybe they're also counting bosses (Goenitz, Orochi) as secret characters...

Man, I'm really excited for this release...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Shito said:
As for art and style, well for me KOF2001 is top notch. Nona did a remarkable work on that one...

...2001 was stunning under that regard. 2001 demos are fantastic imho, and the opening is awesome as well (the most 'narrative/storytelling' intro in a series).
Yeah, I agree. 2001 is my favorite intro...my other favorites being '96, '94, and 2000 (not to sound like a complete bandwagon jumper by saying so...I know this has come up before and my answer is always the same).

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
But what would an EX Mr. Big have that's different from normal version?

Also, Yamazaki? The only thing I can think of is giving him the Charged up :qcb: :A: /:B:/ :C: like in the Real Bout series.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
actually I don't see 2k art a very anime in style at all - I like the clear outlines and flawless proportions. it's extremely proffesional - later KOFs have an amaturish or unrefined quality to them.

that said - I love 2K1s art style. saw the game on a huge rear projection monitor at a local arcade once and the select screen with the portraits looked fantastic - it is a great way to appreciate the art in that game - on a larger monitor. it's very odd and unsettling even - but it is definetly art.
when I first saw the game I couldn't believe it was a KOF - the quality of the graphics had dipped so much, honest to god I thought it was some hack or homebrew.
but after a while the whole ambience grew on me - and the backrounds I find to be great in a bizzaro kind of way. that game had it's own identity, moreso than other KOFs (which up until 2K1 used to each be different from the next in series - that's why KOF was always brilliant).

this title is going to be fun, but you can tell that it's a filler with respect to the arcades, whilst they throw most of their time and money at KOFXII.

Shito said:
Mmmh, as for intros, I would say 95 and particularly 96 are the best ones, just to stylish a well paced. '98 always seemed a bit dull to me. KOF2003 had a stylish intro too, more cinematic (less 16-bittish one would say).

As for art and style, well for me KOF2001 is top notch. Nona did a remarkable work on that one, and that was the very first KOF sporting cool art with an attitude. I mean, c'mon, Shinkirou always pictured not the actual characters, but more likely *cosplayer dressing as those characters* to me. Nona actually put each character unique personality in his portrait. Same goes with in-game art: 2000 was nice, yes. But very, very anime-like. 2001 was stunning under that regard. 2001 demos are fantastic imho, and the opening is awesome as well (the most 'narrative/storytelling' intro in a series).

Oh, you say KOF2001 bgs and music were mostly shit? True that. But you cant' be perfect, they say... ;)

PS
Hiroaki is top notch as well. KoF2001 poster (have you ever seen the complete version, featuring Kula and K9999?) is most likely the very best KOF illust EVAR!)

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
DARK ANDY said:
But what would an EX Mr. Big have that's different from normal version?

Also, Yamazaki? The only thing I can think of is giving him the Charged up :qcb: :A: /:B:/ :C: like in the Real Bout series.

Mr.Big could be given back his full range projectile move, and polished of the multi-hit autoguard moves a là '96, to make a 'classic Mr.Big'.

Also Yama could just have a 'less move, higher attack level version' I think...