'fake' MVS 1-slot motherboard?

Mithotyn

n00b
Today I got a 'Neo MVH Slot1F' motherboard for my Super Gun and tried it out with the following games:

Pulstar
Metal Slug
King of Fighters '98
Last Blade 1 & 2
Garou: MotW

Now here's the problem: While Pulstar and Metal Slug work without a hitch, with the other games I get the following message after the Neo Geo jingle:

'WARNING
THIS ROM CARTRIDGE IS FOR USE WITH ORIGINAL SNK BOARDS ONLY. COPYING OF SNK BOARDS IS PROHIBITED AND MAY RESULT IN SEVERE CIVIL AND CRIMINAL PENALTIES AND WILL BE PROSECUTED TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT OF THE LAW'

So what's the deal? Do I have a bootleg motherboard? HELP!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
You have got to be kidding me! Does this board have any branding on it? Does it look like an SNK product?

-Nick

Mithotyn

n00b
Well, there is an 'ORIGINAL SEAL No. 440926 SNK ELECTRONICS CORP.' in the lower right corner of the board where it hooks up to Jamma. It also says 'SNK' on various other places, and many of the chips seem to be made by 'Sony Japan' and 'Toshiba' - not the mark of a pirate product methinks. Now if the carts are messed up somehow (i.e. bootlegs, damaged, etc.), why do I get the message that suggests my board is 'fake'???

mliu92

n00b
Just a quick question - 'authentic SNK boards' could refer to the motherboard or to the ROM boards within the carts - have you cracked open the cart to check if they're boots?

------------------
Cheers - Mike

Mithotyn

n00b
Well, I just checked them all. Seems like the Garou is a bootleg (damn!) but the others look legit to me, i.e. SNK stamped all over the place and no flash roms.

Mithotyn

n00b
About the Garou cart: the two boards seem to be original SNK ones made in 1999 but there are four Singapore eproms on one of them numbered EP1 to EP4, the latter has some black wire connected to it. Can somebody confirm this is a bootleg? Thanks.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
That sounds like a bootleg to me, or a fix. See, if SNK made it with the epprom (which they do once in a while) there would be no wire. If it was damaged and repaired however, that is another story... some epprom games are just fine. A lot of people freaked out about epproms lately (me included), but I have done some research and they are not as self destructive as people think. The only big problem with an eppromed Garou, is that there are no ROMs of the final game... which means even if it is a legit repaired cart, the ROMs may be beta
frown.gif

-Nick

I edited this post because it made very little sense in my tired state, hopefully it will be more consice now
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by nruva (edited February 28, 2001).]

sonofx51

If you're even THINKING about TRADING with this us
Have you tried moving around the Cart while in place. I used to get that message with my Metal Slug X cart, I had to adjust it a little to get it to work. Or clean off the contacts that also helps. Later.

Mithotyn

n00b
I have moved the carts around while in place and also cleaned their connections but they still don't work ...

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Sounds to me like you just need to check the motherboard dipswitch settings and fix them, probably they're set wrong. I've actually seen that message when messing with my modded Neo Geo home cart system . . .
biggrin.gif

Mithotyn

n00b
CHIMPMEISTER YOU ARE MY HERO!!!

I followed your advice, and after messing around with the dipswitch settings a bit, I finally got all the games to work. Thanks a lot!!!

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Usually you will see this message when trying to play a newer game on the home system in MVS mode. Very odd coming from an MVS machine.

Is the BIOS of your MVS board in a socket, or is it the smaller surface mount SOP style rom? The chip will have something like T531024, or something along those lines - the main number is the 1024, look for that. If it's in a socket, pop it out and try a bios from an older Neo board.

Jeff

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
WOW, this is good to know. So the dipswitches messed everything up. Man, well... chock that up as knowledge gained.

-Nick

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mithotyn:
CHIMPMEISTER YOU ARE MY HERO!!!

I followed your advice, and after messing around with the dipswitch settings a bit, I finally got all the games to work. Thanks a lot!!!

You're welcome Mithotyn, I'm glad I could help!
biggrin.gif

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
ACK! Double Post . . . sorry.
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by chimpmeister (edited March 02, 2001).]