Super Novas

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
I am new to the whole "Play the MVS on the TV" deal and I want to ask some questions.

1. When you get the Super Nova, how do you attach the one-slot to it? Does it sit on top? Do I need to cover it once it is on top?

2. What is the best kind to get? I know there are different kinds of "Super Novas" as Mas likes to call them.

3. Are they worth it?

Thanks for your help! I want to be able to play MVS games on my TV, but I have no idea how...Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Bryan

------------------
kofKAnimated2.gif
-Long live the Neo-

Bad Mofo

Neo Geo Cup '98
I recently got my SuperNOVA from Massystems. The MVS sits on top of the NOVA, as the JAMMA-cable is very short. Same goes for other systems like CPS2 etc. You can't possible hook it up the wrong way; it's idiot-proof! I don't cover the MVS with anything; it's built to last, it doesn't even matter whether or not you touch the print or if it gets covered in dust. Good thing about the MVS is that you don't need to hook up extra cables that you'd need for the extra buttons in games like SFII. (That's one of the few minor gripes that comes with the NOVA; the documentation isn't all that good.) If you have only the slightest knowledge of electronics, ie; you know your red from your yellow, you can hook this baby up)

The joysticks that came with the NOVA are SUPER! They rule. They have the perfect size to sit on your lap, and you can rest both your hands comfortably on top. The buttons are the same ones you'd find at your local arcade: GREAT! The joystick itself is very rigid, as in stiff, and I would say it is not as precise as the original Neo joystick. But it's waaay better than the CD joystick IMO.

Videoquality; Depends on how you hook up your Neo to your TV. I run my Neo homeconsole through RGB, which gives the best picture available. PERIOD. The NOVA is composite and/or S-video. Which SUCKS (sorry to say to all those with a Jeff Kurtz mod!).
If you can, have the NOVA converted to RGB signal out. It shouldn't be that hard, I am told...

Are they worth it? Hell yeah. Not to play MVS games on (buy an !Arcade! convertor for that), but to play CPSII/III etc on. And if you can't run a RGB signal through your TV at all you don't have a reason not to buy the NOVA.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
Can I use a "Mas Super Pro Stick" that I already purchased to play a Super Nova? Or do I need the new ones that come with it. The only real reason that I want a Nova is to play MVS games! What kinda connection would I have to get to do that and make it look good on the TV?

------------------
kofKAnimated2.gif
-Long live the Neo-

Wan-Fu

Galford's Armourer
Actually, the Super Nova already outputs RGB through the 8-pin connector. You just need to get the right cable made for it to work with your monitor. If you buy one of those RGB monitors from MAS, they will give you a cable for free.

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
But can I just go ahead and hook a super nova up to my TV until I get one of those connectors?

Just added:

I'm now thinking about buying an !Arcade! converter. Anyone have one of these little devices? I would like some feedback on the quality of them. Any help on this matter would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Bryan

------------------
kofKAnimated2.gif
-Long live the Neo-

[This message has been edited by BryLmoo (edited February 27, 2001).]

Wan-Fu

Galford's Armourer
You can connect the Super Nova to your TV through S-Video. They provide a cable for that. Just make sure you get one of those older 1-slot MVS boards that come with joystick ports and stereo-out. You will thank me later.

[This message has been edited by Wan-Fu (edited February 28, 2001).]

Bad Mofo

Neo Geo Cup '98
All I know is that the official MAS-RGB cable was FUCKIN' expensive; that's the reason I didn't buy it. I don't know if Wan-Fu means the same RGB cable I mean, because he talks of a monitor (as in an arcade monitor). I mean a RGB-Scart cable, as in the cable that comes from my Neo Home console.

I don't know if you can connect your MAS controllers to the NOVA; the connectors on the NOVA look like the printerports on your PC. The 4 slot MVS I had had 2 Neo joystick ports and 1 or 2 stereo outs (don't remember exactly).

I have just today purchased an !Arcade! convertor, to play MVS games. I will let you know how this goes/looks..

Wan-Fu

Galford's Armourer
Yeah, the RGB cable I was talking about is for use with the MAS RGB monitors. If you want a RGB-SCART cable (does anyone use these in US?) that will probably cost you extra. Anyway this conversation has gotten off topic.

I would recommend getting the !Arcade! adaptor if you already have the AES.

Bad Mofo

Neo Geo Cup '98
Why doesn't anyone in the US use RGB-Scart? I don't get it; you pay hundreds of dollars to play the best games in the world on the best system in the world, and settle with drab colors and an overall shitty picture quality. S-Vid SUCKS ASS.

mliu92

n00b
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bad Mofo:
Why doesn't anyone in the US use RGB-Scart? I don't get it; you pay hundreds of dollars to play the best games in the world on the best system in the world, and settle with drab colors and an overall shitty picture quality. S-Vid SUCKS ASS.

Pretty simple - SCART hasn't been an option for the US except on very esoteric TV/Monitors - only recently have we gotten component video, although I know I've seen old TV's from the 80's that were designed for Amigas, etc. ...

------------------
Cheers - Mike