Dreamcast's S-video signal is WEAK.

claymin

Rugal's Thug
I've had 4 Dreamcasts so far and none of them had rock solid crisp S-video like Saturn does.

Even my S-video modded (exactly the same as Neo mod) genesis consoles have much better picture quality than Dreamcast.

I've tried official SEGA S-video cables and S-video out from a generic VGA box also, but the results were the same.

Is there any way to improve S-video picture quality on Dreamcast?

Color separation looks fine to me actually, but I think the sync signal for S-video is weak on Dreamcast. I can see the picture wobbles a bit (it's very subtle)

I can't remember if it was Luma or Chrominance that carries the sync information, but if I amplify one of those, could I get stronger sync? (by attaching a capacitor maybe?)

Any input to ease my curiosity will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Have you tried using a neobitz/jrok on an RGB signal from the Dreamcast?

claymin

Rugal's Thug
No, I have not. But I do have a spare Neobitz-S lying around now.

Has anyone done this with Neobitz-S?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
S-video from a Dreamcast? :eek_2:

Why aren't you using VGA?

turbo D

Not so MEGA, eh?
I use vga with my dreamcast and it rocks :mr_t: I imagine he wants s-video to play the games that aren't compatible with vga.

claymin

Rugal's Thug
It's just my curiosity. :) I have aways been wondering if I could improve S-video on Dreamcast.

Seriously though, is it only me? or has anyone had the same feeling that Dreamcast's S-video is inferior to Saturn or modded Genesis?

gundamalpha

Rugal's Thug
claymin said:
It's just my curiosity. :) I have aways been wondering if I could improve S-video on Dreamcast.

Seriously though, is it only me? or has anyone had the same feeling that Dreamcast's S-video is inferior to Saturn or modded Genesis?

i do, that's why i only use rgb or vga for my dc. dc's s-video is really blurrish

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I agree that is has a lot of flicker to it and wobbles some. Using a 3 comb filter capable TV may be why it looks a little better for me. It does seem the Saturn has the best S-video output ever.

The sync signal is in the Luminance I believe since the Chroma is just really color. A capacitor sounds like a good idea, but not sure if it will really do much. Try an external video encoder using RGB to convert to Component or something. I was thinking of doing this myself for my 2D fighting games as my main reason.

claymin

Rugal's Thug
SNKNostalgia said:
I agree that is has a lot of flicker to it and wobbles some. Using a 3 comb filter capable TV may be why it looks a little better for me. It does seem the Saturn has the best S-video output ever.

The sync signal is in the Luminance I believe since the Chroma is just really color. A capacitor sounds like a good idea, but not sure if it will really do much. Try an external video encoder using RGB to convert to Component or something. I was thinking of doing this myself for my 2D fighting games as my main reason.

maybe I should try my spare Neobitz-S on it and see how it goes.

Marshall

New Challenger
Well, Deramcast may have weak signal outputs itself. If you want more strong and clear signal output from it, why not just use one of RGB(VGA) upscanners then downscan it using (VGA TO S/RF)converters usually used for PC to TV outputs.It'll cost a bit, but upscan it first, then downscan it will increase signal power, I think.Also, try not to use long cables,it'll weaken and adds goasts and noise.and use magnet filters on it to reduce them.Don't forget to adjust your TV(or RGB-monitor)'s OSD too, since all the signal output levels on all hardwares are not the same, you know... :)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Drop s-video and go VGA. You won't want to go back.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
There's abit of a difference here; In games like MvC, KOF99 Dreammatch & Evolution, JoJo's BA, SFA3, SFIII3rdS with code, Bangai-O, Gunbird 2, the S-video signal is very sharp and colorful, there's very little difference to the Saturn S-Video quality. However with games like MOTW, CvS, CvS2, Gigawing, MvC2, Vamp CH, SSF2X, the S-Video Signal is not only weak, but filtered somehow. I think is a matter of the Video game encoding more than the DC's signal at all.

I agree with XX and most folks here why not just use VGA, although Jojo's, KOF99DM & KOF99Evo don't support it. :oh_no:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
All the SNK ports on the DC look like crap since it's just emulation iirc. It looks cloudy and faded.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
All the SNK ports on the DC look like crap since it's just emulation iirc. It looks cloudy and faded.
I have to disagree on the remakes of KOF98 & 99, but evrything else looks pretty bad...actually Last Blade looks pretty damn good now that I remember this game does not look cloudy at all, but in no way am I atesting to this game being better than the real thing though.

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
lachlan said:
Drop s-video and go VGA. You won't want to go back.

Quoted for fucking truth.

The only thing that rivals VGA is running CHankast or nullDC.