where to tap +5V.UPDATED with pics!

hi,ive seen some consolized mvs unit with little wires.I wonder which point u guys tap the +5v and ground from.Is there a tread with pictures here or is this some sort of 'trade secret' within the neo community?

Last edited:

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
if your consoling a mvs tap from the bottom, use a multimeter to find a a spot away from the jamma edge

werejag said:
if your consoling a mvs tap from the bottom, use a multimeter to find a a spot away from the jamma edge

ok so it means tapping +5v from one point on the jamma edge will do to power up the whole mvs?If that is so,how come the mvs is designed to have many +5v pinout on the jamma edge?What's the theory behind this?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Sprites Lover said:
ok so it means tapping +5v from one point on the jamma edge will do to power up the whole mvs?If that is so,how come the mvs is designed to have many +5v pinout on the jamma edge?What's the theory behind this?

It is to reduce the voltage drop in the harness from the psu and the heat at the jamma/mvs edge connects.
An MVS mobo can draw up to 5 amps depending on model, so the edge connects can get hot and toasty.
A single decent gauge 5 volt connecting wire will suffice, you do not need them all connected, but the more the merrier for the sake of reliability..

ttooddddyy said:
It is to reduce the voltage drop in the harness from the psu and the heat at the jamma/mvs edge connects.
An MVS mobo can draw up to 5 amps depending on model, so the edge connects can get hot and toasty.
A single decent gauge 5 volt connecting wire will suffice, you do not need them all connected, but the more the merrier for the sake of reliability..

ah ic.now i get it.So for the Ground any ground will do i suppose since ground is common?And for the controller ports just trace with multimeter .i got a fully working consolized mvs with jamma connectors,db15 ports and PC PSU ,im looking forward to further streamline the mobo.Im thinking of using a Switching Power Supply Adapter which is selectable to 5V ,3amp.The place where i live in,i cant acquire the Jameco 5V power adapter.So will a switching power supply adapter have adverse effect on the mobo compared to those fixed 5V jameco power supply?

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
ive used the other 5vlt connections as power return for encoders etc

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The same goes for the grounds, as many as is practical is good ;)

An arcade type smps supply is ideal, after all said that is what mvs was designed to run off, and they can usually supply up to 15 amps.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The only Neo board that needs +5v on all 4 pins is the Hyper 64.

Otherwise you can tap the +5v from pretty much anywhere. A lot of people like to solder to the leg of a cap connected to the +5v trace.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
in my supergun which i made the video encoder is not connected to ground until its connected to the jamma connector. kind of a safety way.

werejag said:
in my supergun which i made the video encoder is not connected to ground until its connected to the jamma connector. kind of a safety way.

wat do u mean by "not connected to ground until its connected to the jamma connector"? btw where u usually tap the RGB,sync lines in MV1A/C?

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
meaning the grounds of the encoder get connected via the jamma grounds . return ground.

alright,i have hooked up and theres picture.But now there are no sound .I hv done the stereo mod on the MV1A.Is it because i need to tap power to the audio amp??

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Make sure you try playing the game because if its only looping through attract mode the sound might be off for it.

hmmm i thought even if in Demo Sound 'OFF' the neo geo boot up jingle still have sound?ok i check snd confirm.The problem is i havent connect the controller ports yet..

ok i connected a Test switch to start a game.There is a credit sound each time i press it but when the game starts,there is no sound.i tried with other cartridges and its the same.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If thats the case it sounds like you didnt tap the right points since you are only getting sound effects.

hmmmm..i go check again the points.I have get it work before for stereo mod on the mv1a.its R77,78 and the yamaha pin 27.

there is still no sound during gameplay,only 'credit insert' sound can be heard each time i insert credits.Is it because there is no +12V on the TA8201 chip?Im using a +5v 3A power supply now instead of a PSU power supply previously.

Last edited:

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
since you are not using +12 you need to mod your board do a search it been discused before