volume issues with DC>VGA in a Impress cabinet

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
hey fellas
just got my DC hooked up in the tri sync Impress and I had a quick question in hopes someone could provide a solution that does not invlove buying more gear for this.

So basically everything works just fine, however since I cannot get normal Jamma mono since it is hooked up via the DC>VGA box how can I adjust the stereo volume? The VGA box has no volume adjustment and the Impress cabinet has only a potentiometer for mono volume. I am guessing it is assuming only CPS2/3 boards will be run in there.

The VGA box does have a headphone jack, dont know if anything cab be finagled with that or not though.

The volume is ridiculously loud and it comes in and out of the speakers because I believe it is overloading them. Some games have internal audio control which can be saved to the VMU but for games with no audio control I have to disconnect the speakers. Sucks.

Im guessing I may just need to buy a new VGA box but if anyone has any insights or had similar issues please let me know!

Dave_K.

NEST Puppet
Yep, this is a common problem when going Dreamcast VGA box to line input on an amp. I've always recommended buying the Gameware Madness adapter or Blaze DC VGA adapter (both the same design/manufacturer) for this very reason as they both have a volume control and dual headphone out.

You may be able to attenuate the volume on the adapter you have by rigging up your own potentiometer connecting to the plug you use to plug into it. Here was a schematic posted on the shmup board for attenuating for headphones (same thing).

pots-f6.gif

The second one is for mono, the fourth one is for stereo. Make sure you get the correct type of potentiometer for audio taper.

Last edited:

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
hey dave

I couldnt for the life of me remember what the name of that was, thanks for refreshing me though! Any idea where those can be had? Granted I did not spend a long time searching for one but they seem pretty scarce.

At any rate, thanks (as always) for the help bro, hope you are well.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
nice one Bill, I'll venture a try at that man. Thanks for the help dude.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
thanks for the advice Bill that worked out great with zero interference!