In the market for my first MVS. What do I need to look for?

riskVSreward

Rugal's Thug
There's a local collector selling a 4-slot MVS (with 4 standard games) for a cool $550. I definitely want to buy this, but I have no idea what I should be aware of before I do. I'm concerned that this "arcade enthusiast" might not know much about the MVS, or may be willing to leave some things out. I'd appreciate if you guys could give me some info, so if I drive up there to look at it I'll know if it's the real deal.

I really just want to play Garou on it, so if there's any requirements for me to play that (certain BIOS needed maybe?) I'd like to know those too.

Thanks, I can't wait to finally get myself a MVS. :multi_co:

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
make sure the monitor and mobo is good as well as the overall cab condition. I wouldn't worry about sticks and buttons as I generally replace them quickly anyway. For 550, the cab should be in real good shape.

Make sure all 4 slots are populated as well and rotate through all the games with select button, make sure you got sound from all 4 slots.

riskVSreward

Rugal's Thug
So you're saying $550 is a bit steep unless it's pristine? I just got a call about a 2-slot "woody" but the kid didn't want to make me an initial offer. He said he keeps it clean and replaced the buttons/battery. Would $300-400 be a fair offer?

Here's to hoping he's not on the site right now. :) :)

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Woodies are getting a bit long in the tooth, so be sure the CRT has good emission.
Replacing the tube can be an expensive excercise. If in doubt take a piccy of the image on the screen and post it here. Otherwise as topher said.

edit- it would be worth looking at the motherboard to see if the battery may have leaked and caused corrosion.

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
yeah, a nice monitor is #1 in importance.

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
Hhhmmm.. For a 4 slot, I'm not thinking $550 is too steep IF the cab is in good working order (Monitor, speakers, buttons, etc). Keep special mind to what the others have said about the monitor. Was the 4 slot a woody or a candy cab? I don't think you said. Sorry I'm going on the assumption that the 4 slot is a woody cab and not a candy. Is the cab a dedicated or a conversion? If dedicated is it a version 1 (Smooth sides all red, speakers below monitor), a version 2 (black bottom, red top, speakers below marquee), or a version 3 (aka a Big Red, Black bottom, speakers on front above marquee)? Big Red's tend to be more expensive (as well as bigger) anyway. Conversions I don't think are worth that much at all. Personally, if the person is a "arcade enthusiest", then he should have kept regular maintenence and not just let it fall to pieces. Offer him a little less than what he's asking though. If nothing else ask him to sell the cab without the games, which should slash the price $50-$100 if they're just low end games anyway, and use this towards games you really want. Oh to answer the question about garou, no you don't need a special bios. The standard bios will play it.

Last edited:

riskVSreward

Rugal's Thug
Great info, thanks for all the tips I think I might go with the 2-slot. I really don't need 4 slots and I'm hoping I can get woody and save a hundred or so dollars.