What would stop one button from working on a jamma board?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
So I am trying to help this guy with his cab and his second player #2 button isn't working. I redo all of the ground and still nothing. I check another game and bam, it works. Another game and bam, it works.

So, I put the heavy barrel board back in and everything works perfectly besides the #2 button on the 2nd player. Same as before. So, I turn it all on and wire a ground wire up so it's loose on one end. While everthing is on, I touch the ground wire to the 2nd players #2 button's pin on the fingerboard on the heavy barrel board itself. NOTHING. I touch the pin over for button one and the guy starts shooting. Back to #2 button and I get nothing.

So, what would cause a button on a game to stop working?

Broken trace on a board?

Ideas?

thanks!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If there is a way to reset the backup ram on the board that may work, if you can do it with that board.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
There may be resistor arrays between the jamma inputs and the buffer/inverter ICs
Check if there is a crack causing an open circuit.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
ttooddddyy said:
There may be resistor arrays between the jamma inputs and the buffer/inverter ICs
Check if there is a crack causing an open circuit.

Yes, I remember someone having that exact problem before.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Did you try switching the microswitch out with a known working one?

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
It's a board problem, not a switch problem Topher...

I'm not familar with that board but I had a similar problem with a Pit Fighter board. It used a simple 7400 series buffer on that pin. If yours is similar then you can check the inputs and outputs of the buffer IC and replace it if it is faulty.

RJ

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
NGT said:
While everthing is on, I touch the ground wire to the 2nd players #2 button's pin on the fingerboard on the heavy barrel board itself. NOTHING.!

I missed that line, disregard my comment. Thanks Channelmaniac for pointing that out --> note to self, be more observant.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
channelmaniac said:
It's a board problem, not a switch problem Topher...

I'm not familar with that board but I had a similar problem with a Pit Fighter board. It used a simple 7400 series buffer on that pin. If yours is similar then you can check the inputs and outputs of the buffer IC and replace it if it is faulty.

RJ

I'm not very firmiliar with board work....if I had the board in front of me, do you think I could figure out what the buffer IC is?

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
NGT said:
So I am trying to help this guy with his cab and his second player #2 button isn't working. I redo all of the ground and still nothing. I check another game and bam, it works. Another game and bam, it works.

So, I put the heavy barrel board back in and everything works perfectly besides the #2 button on the 2nd player. Same as before. So, I turn it all on and wire a ground wire up so it's loose on one end. While everthing is on, I touch the ground wire to the 2nd players #2 button's pin on the fingerboard on the heavy barrel board itself. NOTHING. I touch the pin over for button one and the guy starts shooting. Back to #2 button and I get nothing.

So, what would cause a button on a game to stop working?

Broken trace on a board?

Ideas?

thanks!

Clean the jamma connector of the game board.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
yami said:
Clean the jamma connector of the game board.

that was the first thing I did :(

I'll follow the traces :)