Can a PAL Neo Geo play NTSC games?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Can the Euro PAL Neo Geo play the later games (like King of Fighters 2001) that advertise on the box as being for NTSC only? I have a PAL Neo Geo that I've modded for 60Hz, but a full NTSC mod is much harder to do.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The carts do not have "region issues" apart from the label and box/artwork being different between say a Euro or Japanese version of a game, the hardware in the cart is the same.

The region is set by the systems bios.

NTSC or PAL video output only concerns the encoder stage in the consol.
Nothing to do with the game cart itself.

soopafamicom

Windjammers Wonder
joe8 said:
Can the Euro PAL Neo Geo play the later games (like King of Fighters 2001) that advertise on the box as being for NTSC only? I have a PAL Neo Geo that I've modded for 60Hz, but a full NTSC mod is much harder to do.

If you've done the 60hz mod then it is in NTSC already.

Between 'true' NTSC 3.58 and PAL 60(NTSC 4.44) the only difference is that the PAL 60 will have a better picture as it uses all 625 refresh rate lines whereas 'true' only uses 525 lines.

To mod a PAL machine to run in 60hz is the very simple mod and it works because out tv's are capable of running both PAL and NTSC(usually, both 3.58 and 4.44) out of the box.

If you were in the US and had a PAL system then you would probably have to go the whole hog and change the crystal inside the machine too as US sets aren't PAL compatible in any way and only display in ntsc 3.58.

All games should work fine, the main problem is with older games(like Fatal Fury and such), they didn't like running on PAL 50hz machines as they had graphical problems and glitching esp when jumping between planes.

If I remember well, to make a PAL Neo Geo work @ 60hz, all you need to do is to cut some jumper.