Just a few generic questions

cack01

n00b
First off I have only been aware of the wonderful world of Neo Geo cabs and games for about 2 days. I have played them before, but I never actually thought of owning them. Just so you know I hope I use the right terms and so forth in this post and yes I have used the search on the site for most my info :) .

First off I found a SNK cab that I am going to buy this weekend. PICS: <a href="http://www21.brinkster.com/sn0rky/arcade.html" target="_blank">http://www21.brinkster.com/sn0rky/arcade.html</a> It is the single cart version. My question, is if it is possible to install one of the 4 cartridge MVS motherboards in this cab and just add the game select button. I am assuming it is, since it is a Jamma (sp?)cab; but sometimes a see people using Jamma as if it is not related to MVS. I hope that is clear.

P.S. How much do you think the cab in the pictures costs Everything is supposed to work fine, except if you cycle the power quickly then the monitor will not go on. I figure it is not a problem since that will never happen anyways. I just want to make sure I am not getting the crappy end of the deal.

thanks.

<small>[ March 05, 2003, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: cack01 ]</small>

wiseman9986

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
yes it is possible to put a 4 slot board in it without too much trouble i dont really now how much it would be worth im not an expert on stuff like that or anthing but it looks to me like it was converted from a different kind of cab but i cant really tell without seing a pic of the whole thing

wiseman9986

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
check out <a href="http://www.hardmvs.com" target="_blank">www.hardmvs.com</a> you can get alot of info there

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
That looks like a nice cab. The control panel looks good.

Putting in a 4 slot shouldn't be hard at all. You can check out the site wiseman linked above and find more info on jamma and mvs wiring.

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
Yup Briggs hard mvs is the place to look for really good info , as far as price goes , does it come with any games ? there is no way to tell what type of board is in it unless you look.
Red american cabs like that one usually fetch around 400.00 to 600.00 depending on the seller of course. As far as Motherboards go they are anywhere in price from about 90.00 for a single slot to 220.00 for a 4 or 6 slot.

The only thing you have to watch board wise is how the cabinet is wired , MVS or Jamma ? there are neo boards that are MVS and boards that are Jamma , so look into that before you buy a new board.

My advice to you is to look over the motherboards on hard mvs and see whats in it and it will tell you if its Jamma or MVS , then go from there.

Also I for one think you are choosing the right way to play the Neo , exactly as it was intended to be played MVS ! Plus the games are cheap as hell , which is great for all of us gamers out there.
Aes is cool but it just pales in comparrison to a cab and it just plain costs too much money for games.

<small>[ March 05, 2003, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: candycab ]</small>

cack01

n00b
OK I checked out the site you guys posted, and it says that MVS has 4 buttons and the cab I am getting has 4 buttons. So I guess it is a Jamma type since it only has 1 cart slot. Maybe if I'm lucky its the stereo version.
Found out it comes with Art of fighting 2.

<small>[ March 05, 2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: cack01 ]</small>

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
well every Neo board has 4 buttons Jamma or MVS.
the differences are on the wiring harness itself.

Jamma is mono bye definition , but some Neo boards do ahve a switch on them for mono or stereo { like mine an MV1-F } MVS is stereo and doesnt have the -5 volt lead on the harness which is used for the sound amps in some Jamma boards.

So you cant go bye the button numbers.

Come into chat if you want ? Im there now and I can help with any questions you have in real time.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
cack01:
OK I checked out the site you guys posted, and it says that MVS has 4 buttons and the cab I am looking at has 4 buttons. So correct me if I am wrong in that this is a MVS cab, and therefore it has stereo. (gets excited)

Found out it comes with Art of fighting 2.
Do you know what motherboard model it is? Not all the mvs board support stereo but if you are going to put a 4 slot in then you can wire it for stereo.

I dont know a lot about cab value, but if it was in really good condition then maybe 400? Someone please correct me if im wrong. You could always check ebay if you are looking for a rough value but as with all things on ebay someone is always willing to pay the extra dollar to get what they want.

edit: damn candycab beat me to it :)

<small>[ March 05, 2003, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Lagduf ]</small>

cack01

n00b
Thanks for the help guys, I'll try to get the mobo model from the guy. From what you've said so far, it looks like a getting a good deal if everything works. Thanks for the chat offer, but im at the library, so I really should be doing homework.

Again thanks for all the help. This is definatly a place I will come back to for a long time. Especially starting this weekend (which is when I pick it up).

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
No problem man , Im usually in chat on a regular basis , usually in the evenings from say 5 or 6 pm central to 1:00 am or sometimes all night.

Depends on work hours mostly , so you can catch me there and I will try to help you out if I can ?

Anyone else as well for that matter.

Welcome to the great experience that is NeoGeo !

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
wiseman9986
yes it is possible to put a 4 slot board in it without too much trouble
there's hardly enough space for the installed mv-1fz/mv-1a (can't really tell from those pictures) inside. that's why i doubt, that a 4-slot will fit in there.

i'd say, that it's most likely wired for use with mono boards. (mv-1fz & mv-1a are mono)

btw : it's definitely a converted cab, but the control panel is one of the best, i've seen.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
There are two different 4-slot versions: the older and bigger one is 18" x 11", the newer and smaller one about 15" x 11".

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
MKL:
There are two different 4-slot versions: the older and bigger one is 18" x 11", the newer and smaller one about 15" x 11".
i guess, same as those two different 2-slot versions.

anyway ...
the real problem seems to be the height of a 4-slot with inserted carts.