greets from a noob.

kazuo

New Challenger
new member here. I've been lurking here on and off for the past few years; my recent interest in japanese arcade cabs, mvs, atomiswave, naomi & type x/x2 stuffs forced me to register, hahaaha! :P

as far as I go? I'm a broke-ass college student (yeah, I know, bad idea to be into this stuff when you're as poor as me!) grinding it out 'til I can make a better situation for myself. Mostly into "oldschool" games (NES to PS1), and I've always loved the neo since I first played one in SoCal back in like '90 or '91. Nam and Baseball Stars, woo!

One day I hope to own a MVS 4-slot woody and a Candy cab. I'm good with that. :)

Greets to all and hopefully we'll get along ;)

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
Welcome. Keep in mind that there are other routes to play arcade games until you get a cab. You can buy or build a supergun or get a consoled MVS board. Either way works fine, and is cheaper then an aes system.

JLZ

Rugal's Thug
noob with noob questions

*> Seems I can't make a new post, so I thought I would post my message onto the end of this one, hope that's okay <*

Hi all,

I am a long time SNK fan, and I just bought my first non-portable SNK system. I was in Japan, and I picked up an AES system, memory cart, 2 sticks, and 8 games (everything Japanese versions):

Fatal Fury Special
Fatal Fury 3
Art of Fighting 2
Samurai Spirits 2
King of Fighters 94
World Heroes 2
Joy Joy Kid
Thrash Rally

It has always been a dream of mine to buy a NeoGeo, and I got a pretty good deal. I have some newbie questions:

1) Of the games I have, FF3, SS2 and AOF2 have English Language modes. Is there a code to unlock English modes for the other games?

2) Is there a way to get English language and blood on at the same time on SS2?

3) What other Japanese AES games have English language modes (esp. fighting games)

4) Is there any chance of getting RBFF, RBFFS, RBFF2, KOF94-98, Fighters History Dynamite or Double Dragon for under £30 (per game) or is that wishful thinking?

5) Are there any good online sources for AES cartridges (besides ebay)

6) I have been using a MegaDrive power supply on my AES in the UK, is there any potential damage from doing this? I think the Japanese plug is 10vDC, 1000mA, whereas the MD one is 10vDC, 500mA; but I am not really sure what this means (seems to play fine though...)

Sorry if the questions are kind dumb, but the hardware/scene is new to me.

Thanks in advance!!

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
1), 2) and 3) get a unibios

4) no clue

5)we have carts check selling area

6) i dont have aes dont know

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
answer to question 6

as long as it isn't more eg 12v 1000Ma or 10v 1500Ma,it should not be a problem. it just has lower amperage(forgive my english i'm dutch)
just check if the power supply don't get to hot.
Tomorrow i will know more i have some electrician friends.
And by the way welcome i am also new here(about two weeks ago)
i also bought an aes console with two joysticks 5 games mem card for only 275 euros. will be back with more info:buttrock:

Last edited:

JLZ

Rugal's Thug
I would be especially interested to know which (if any) of the following games have an English language mode on the Japanese version:

kof 95-97
rbff
rbffs
rbff2
world heroes 2 jet
fighters history dynamite
last blade (if so, can you have blood and english at the same time?)

Cheers y'all

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
JLZ said:
I would be especially interested to know which (if any) of the following games have an English language mode on the Japanese version:

kof 95-97
rbff
rbffs
rbff2
world heroes 2 jet
fighters history dynamite
last blade (if so, can you have blood and english at the same time?)

Cheers y'all
All Neo Geo games have an English mode except the quiz games and some of the mahjong games. Again, get the bios changed if you wish to access all of them, and to get options for blood.

JLZ

Rugal's Thug
How do I change the bios? Is it expensive/difficult to do?

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Check http://www.hardmvs.com/html/PCBcompare.htm

If the board that you choose have a socketed bios, it is an easy task. If don't you need some good soldering skills to replace the bios.

In some games, the "violence" and language settings are separated. So you can put these in english with blood.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Verythrax said:
In some games, the "violence" and language settings are separated. So you can put these in english with blood.
There's always a way to do it. Whether use a cheat, change the language in the in-game option menu, or use MVS mode.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Neo Alec said:
There's always a way to do it. Whether use a cheat, change the language in the in-game option menu, or use MVS mode.

I was talking about the config menu in MVS mode without an unibios ;)

JLZ

Rugal's Thug
I'm afraid I still don't quite follow (neogeo hardware is totally new to me). So do you have to buy a new component, open up your system, and replace an old component with it? Where do you get the gear?

I thought of a good way to answer my question though, since nobody seemed to know, I downloaded Neorage, and set it to 'home' and 'Japanese', and found out that kof96,97, rbff and last blade all have English modes (and with last blade, you get the blood too.)

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Black IcE said:
Welcome. Keep in mind that there are other routes to play arcade games until you get a cab. You can buy or build a supergun or get a consoled MVS board. Either way works fine, and is cheaper then an aes system.

But an AES rules!

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
Tehcno said:
But an AES rules!

I'm not saying it doesn't. An AES ruling has nothing to do with the fact that it is too expensive for most games. If I were to get an equivilent AES collection for the MVS carts that I have then I would have to take out a second mortgage on my house. Thats all I'm saying. I used to own an aes and plan it eventually get one again.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
JLZ said:
I'm afraid I still don't quite follow (neogeo hardware is totally new to me). So do you have to buy a new component, open up your system, and replace an old component with it? Where do you get the gear?
I guess no one posted the link yet:

http://unibios.free.fr/

Read "requirements" to get you started on installation. Not the first thing to worry about though if you haven't even got a system yet. There are members on the board who can do system mods for you.