2nd Samurai Spirits SEN loke test info

CyberAkuma

n00b
This hails from Reno over at NeoGAF:

SNK Playmore updated their Samurai Spirits Sen/Flash page with new info on location tests starting on the 20th (Thursday) and ending on Christmas Eve. I guess it's a nice Christmas present for SNK fans. After seeing videos of the first location test, it seems like an interesting game, so I'll be making my rounds to check it out. Unfortunately I can't take any vids/screens but I'll try to post info after I play.

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/samurai_sen/

Here are the addresses/arcades for those who want to check it out for themselves and take videos/pictures. I'll probably hit this up on the 20th and 21st, since I'll be leaving the country on the 22nd.

Game World
Tokyo, Shinjuku Ward, Shinjuku 3-35-8

Silk Hat Keikyu Kawasaki
Kanagawa, Kawasaki City, Kawasaki Ward, Eki-mae Honmachi 16-1

Sonic Beam
Chiba, Matsudo city, Matsudo 1172-1

Namba Hills
Osaka City, Chuo Ward 3-2-34

Well, something more that I guess we'll have reason to squabble over in a few weeks. But in any case, I STILL choose to look forward to this game. And on another note, I also think it will probably be a better "2nd attempt at 2D->3D transition for a popular fighter", as opposed to a certain, game hailing from SNK's spirited rival... :D

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thanks for the info. I would have like to seen this if I were still in Osaka. Namba Hills is kind of odd... it's like the city's attempt to reinvigorate a somewhat run down section of south Osaka. NH is nice, and has a great ramen place somewhere near the top.. but the area outside of it is pretty poor and dirty. It's near Shin Sekai and Tsutenkaku tower. I wonder if the game center is near there.. SNK would be wise to have it closer to the arcades in the Shotengai in Shinsaibashi, that way it'd get more exposure.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
I might be up for Kawasaki if anyone wants to head down there.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
CyberAkuma said:
I also think it will probably be a better "2nd attempt at 2D->3D transition for a popular fighter", as opposed to a certain, game hailing from SNK's spirited rival... :D

Woah....are we talking SF4? Let's not TOO crazy here...

Wish you were right though....

GunDream

Zero's Secretary
update

from Professor at mmcafe.com ( LINK )

"Someone's uploaded a video to YT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ_t9_ApLPU

1. Graphics = PS2.
I was very wrong on my first impression on Samurai Sen's graphics, my apologies. With Tekken 6 cabinets now out in arcades and running side by side with Samurai Sen, there were clear differences. Samurai Sen looks like it has PS2 quality graphics. The texture is nowhere par to Tekken, the resolution is... surprizingly low. IMO, the graphics looked at a higher resolution during the first beta testing.

2. Gameplay feels like SS1
There hasn't been any game system or control changes since the first beta test. However, the damage rate has been massively, MASSIVELY, increased. One feirce slash can literally take away half a life bar or more. Two feirce slashes and the round is over. At the current point, people were playing the game a bit like an SS1 (albeit with combos), poking each other with weak attacks and looking for a chance to slice in a feirce.

When KO'ing an opponent with a feirce slash, the camera zooms into the loser as they slowly fall onto the ground. In the case of Suzuhime, she's not wearing a skirt so the camera shows her underga nevermind.

Rimururu and a new fencer
Two new characters were unlocked for this beta test; Rimururu, and a new male fencer named Killian. Judging from his looks and move names, he's Spanish. Two more character slots are still to be unlocked.

Nakoruru's got her bird
Nakoruru's Hawk is in the game. I'm not sure if she can command it to attack, but she can definitely grab onto its legs and fly.

That's about it for now!

[edit]
There was a crowd of people, but no waiting line. There weren't any staffs taking notes or keeping a watch either.

For anyone wondering, Samurai Sen runs on the PC-architecture based Taito TypeX 2 board. Tekken 6 runs on the new PS3-based System 357 board. "

CyberAkuma

n00b
So...game play's going back to its roots? Nakoruru's got her bird back (pointing to the notion that people were worrying about the pets' well-being, for nothing)? 1 vet and 1 newbie being revealed? PS2 (and Wii?) port pretty much confirmed?

...Sounds like good stuff to me. I really can't wait til the day I can see the final version of this game. It could stand to be the kind of SS game that I've wanted to fall in love with, but haven't been able to since like SS4.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
I was unaware that Mamahaha had ever disappeared.
Unless you mean BUST Nakoruru from SS3/4.

I don't understand the Rimururu player.
Does she use Konril at all besides the ice on her fierce slash?

The playing looks more like Soul Calibur than Samurai Shodown.

Caffeine Nicotine's stage is back. Haven't read enough to see if he or Kaifun are back this go round.

Are the classic specials disabled in this location test to be implemented later?
Or are those playing just clueless? (Maybe I just use too many specials when I play games. :emb: )

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
jeesh. looking at the specs of the typeX, the game should look better than that video. We'll see what happens.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Can't say Rimu's inclusion was that much of a surprise.

Wonder if anyone from SS V and SS IV will make the cut now that SS III's been covered.

Classic SS damage will definitely turn away players that aren't fans of the series.

CyberAkuma

n00b
Personally, I would think that we could probably stand to see Shiki and/or Asura in this game. Especially if they were interested in doing more to retcon PSX Warrior's Rage from continuity, and take the two down a different storyline path after Asura Zanmaden.

But then again, with the stage being present, I would be pretty disappointed if neither of the members from the Caffeine family don't make an appearance.

Classic SS damage will definitely turn away players that aren't fans of the series.

I dunno. Again, this game has been doing quite well in its loke tests so far, probably the most fanfare a SNK arcade game has received in such an environment.

If anything, I'm hoping that this game does more to bring back the people who have been consistently turned off as the series did more to not be like the first few games.

For instance, I personally have not found favor in any of the games directed by Yuki (due more to the way the games "felt", than anything else), but I'm liking this game more and more, the more I see of it. The fact that the original guys are back in the saddle again, after like a decade, does definitely help.

But ah well...not like I can do much until this game comes to a home console any way...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I hope one of the remaining spots is Shizumaru, although I doubt it.

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
This game does seem to be regaining some of its former SS flavor, with big damage slashes back again to offset the juggling combos. Feels like Ehregiz, or to be more series related, SS3 in a ways. I'm relieved to see the pets were merely not programmed yet in the first beta test. The final spots are probably going to be given to Iroha and another newcomer, though I thought Rimururu was already revealed as a cast member with the first beta tests. I'm surprised that the graphics are merely PS2 quality, because they looked quite impressive from the vids I saw, even though style points are lost because SNKP is still too scared to put blood back in the series.

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
Moose said:
jeesh. looking at the specs of the typeX, the game should look better than that video. We'll see what happens.

What are the specs for the Type X?

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Not a graphics whore (like a lot of the kids in here) but I am definitely a "style whore" when it comes to Samurai Shodown. And this doesn't really do it for me so far...afro samurai is WAY too outta place for me on this one. I just can't get over it.

This new girl with a broadsword looks neat though...and once again (thanks to team galapagos or whoever) they made a neat female character that isn't Doujin/pedo fodder. Bravo.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Sp0o/\/?! said:
...afro samurai is WAY too outta place for me on this one. I just can't get over it.

Some cultural diversity's a bad thing? Personally, I'm happy to see a non-Japanese character make the roster that isn't caucasian for once. While I would have preferred a Mace Windu motive, you can't always have it your way.

Unless J can own you by spamming the hell out of the Ghetto man's Hadoken, he isn't nearly as lame as KOF's Lucky.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
YeldellGW said:
Some cultural diversity's a bad thing? Personally, I'm happy to see a non-Japanese character make the roster that isn't caucasian for once. While I would have preferred a Mace Windu motive, you can't always have it your way.

Unless J can own you by spamming the hell out of the Ghetto man's Hadoken, he isn't nearly as lame as KOF's Lucky.

No problems with racial diversity...unless its poorly integrated. A fly-assed afro makes this dude look like he just stepped out of a 70s blaxploitation film.

And his name is J?? Whatever.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Sp0o/\/?! said:
No problems with racial diversity...unless its poorly integrated. A fly-assed afro makes this dude look like he just stepped out of a 70s blaxploitation film.

And his name is J?? Whatever.
We've already had two white ninjas, one of them being a ridiculous looking big fat guy. This new guy bothers me not in the slightest.

CyberAkuma

n00b
SouthtownKid said:
We've already had two white ninjas, one of them being a ridiculous looking big fat guy. This new guy bothers me not in the slightest.

Pretty much. SS was never about historical accuracy, even when it came to representing people from other parts of the world at that time frame. To me, what matters most are if the characters are a) fun to play and b) have at least some what interesting designs. And SEN looks to at least have that covered.

Also, I'm thinking that as we see more people get exposure to this game, the better it will look when two people are playing against each other. After all, what non-sequel fighting game looks smooth right out the box? Slim to none, because people had to learn to play a new type of game all over again. But judging by the reports, it seems that people are at least interested in trying...

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:

Very true. I tried rationalizing how this J fellow would fit into feudal japan, but my long time acceptance of Earthquake tells me I need to re evaluate my viewpoint on this one.

Guess I'll give this dude a chance, what the hell.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
The game could turn out to be interesting.

GAMEFAN

*Richter*

Banned
Looks interesting but no blood and no fatalities makes a weapon based fighting game look like a piece of crap.

This is the reason why kids around the world think that its no problem to hit someone with a sword because in the game they are not bleeding, why should they bleed in real life...?

CyberAkuma

n00b
*Richter* said:
Looks interesting but no blood and no fatalities makes a weapon based fighting game look like a piece of crap.

This is the reason why kids around the world think that its no problem to hit someone with a sword because in the game they are not bleeding, why should they bleed in real life...?

Umm...WTF?

If you're just going to be yet another who's going to put the game on blast for it not satiating your bloodlusts, at least just be frank about it, and not try to loop what can only be described as utter BS as a viable reason.

I mean, what? The likes of Street Fighter and KOF haven't had blood as a part of the game in years. And yet people are still getting punched in the face, ripped apart, set on fire, thrown all over the places, slammed to the ground, electrocuted and everything else in between.

If you're not going to get on those games for their supposed "lack of realism", why focus on Samurai Spirits so much? Go back to playing Bushido Blade and Kengo if you really want a more "realistic" sword-based fighting game...