MS 1 with no instructions, probably not legit

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Hi,
After careful analysis of the insert of my MS1 AES game, I know that the box is not legit. In fact, it is a high quality lazer copy. Is there a way to tell if the cart is a boot as well without tearing it apart? I am reluctant to tear into the cart if there is another way to tell.

Thanks for any help,

TLH

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Yeah no instructions is a red flag

This game came to me in a collection of games. Out of 30 titles, this was the only one without instructions. After I discovered that the instructions were missing, I looked at the printing through a jeweler loop. Wow, the printing on this cart was clearly done with a lazer and not production SNK type printing equipment. I am now contemplating a lawsuit to force the individual to provide an original. Maybe that will dispel any future conduct.

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Yes, but I want to give ebay the opportunity to act first

I just found out today, that ebay has a division called trust and safety in Santa Clara CA that will spend the time to check out the boot and help go after the seller. I plan on traveling to Santa Clara and bring them the bootleg copy to show there investigators. I am going to offer to do this tomorrow when they open. Trust and safety division keeps regular hours. After I give ebay the chance to contact the seller, I will post to the neo community. Rest assured as a practicing lawyer, I plan on doing everything in my power, including prosecuting this seller, to protect legitimate collectors.

TLH

tony starks

Starks is always out.
TLH said:
I just found out today, that ebay has a division called trust and safety in Santa Clara CA that will spend the time to check out the boot and help go after the seller. I plan on traveling to Santa Clara and bring them the bootleg copy to show there investigators. I am going to offer to do this tomorrow when they open. Trust and safety division keeps regular hours. After I give ebay the chance to contact the seller, I will post to the neo community. Rest assured as a practicing lawyer, I plan on doing everything in my power, including prosecuting this seller, to protect legitimate collectors.

TLH

This could get very intresting indeed. Keep us posted on any progress.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Can you post some pics of the insert and the cart label? There are a few things to look for on them that is the best way to identify a boot. I'm not expert in Metal Slug, but I'm sure someone else could take one look at the insert and tell you.

aria

Former Moderator
I agree, it smells as fishy as you say, but pictures would confirm the situation.

Pas

Camel Slug
Do you have a link to the auction page? Depending on how they worded the auction there might not be much you can do unfortunatly. It could be a conversion using original MVS chips but a sac AES cart which is at least slightly better than a total bootleg...yet still not good if they promised a 100% original legit cart to you.

TLH

Zero's Secretary
OK heres an update and the plot thickens

I am not sure what to do. I have contacted the seller, and I have arranged to take legal action through ebay and civil court. Now, the seller claims that he didn't know that the game wasn't original. The seller is trying to make me feel sorry for him. My wife does feel sorry for him. So, do you give this guy the benefit of the doubt? or do you demand recourse? The other thing that bothers me about this transaction, is the collection that I bought does include some good original games. But, the only reason I purchased this guys collection was to get my hands on what was purported to be an original MS1. The bottom line is that I paid big money for a collection that is worth considerably less without the original MS1 game included. What would you guys do?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I just had a look at the auction and by the looks of it, you received a pretty good and or fair deal even with the converted MS1 imo. An original US MS1 would cost you between 2500 USD - 3000 USD alone.
His shipping and handling charges are also VERY reasonable. The auction definitely doesn't fit the profile of a seller trying to rip anyone off. It may have been a good idea to e-mail him first and confirm if the MS1 was legit and complete because In this age of converted carts,it is crucial that the manual be present with the original cartridge.
BB

Last edited:

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Yeah, I would agree except that I did email to confirm first

Prior to sale, I emailed the seller and asked him if he was sure that his collection was orginal. I also specifically asked him if his collection included any conversion carts. His reply was "I have had this collection for over 10 yrs and my collection contains only original AES carts I don't have any MVS conversions." I based my purchase on this information

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
Not trying to shit on your thread, but I was also inquiring about this bundle. I specifically asked to see pictures of certain games for this very same reason.

Keep in mind, not all people know when/if they have a conversion & the seller (in my opinion) did NOT advertise it as such. He was as informative as possible during our exchanges (to the best of his knowledge). I highly doubt he mislead you intentionally.

Have you asked him for a refund? If so, what was his response?

I hope you are able to work things out peacefully; we've all been there before.

Kpj

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Not at all KPL I welcome your comment

I am trying to decide what to do, and was hoping that others who checked out the bundle would comment. I appreciate your candid approach. This is a tough one because it wasn't the add that mislead me, but the emails from the seller during negotiations. Also as I said before, there are some really good carts in this bundle like Mark of the Wolves. The only boot was the MS1. I am trying to work it out with the seller, but I still feel that he was dishonest during our negotiations. I think that he knew his MS1 cart was a bootleg, and included that in his bundle to entice collectors, then played dumb when called on it. That said, his entire bundle isn't worth what I gave him without all of the games being original. I would imagine what interested you in his bundle was the opportunity to get an original MS game as well. By the way, did he tell you that MS1 wasn't original during your negotiations with him. Thanks for your reply TLH

Kuriakos

Kula's Candy
Do you really think this guy is a pirate? I highly doubt that a pirate would go to the trouble to buy 29 legit games and try to scam you with one. You are the sort of jerk who abuses the system. In short, hasseling this guy makes you an asshole.

P.S. Please don't sue me for slander.

TLH

Zero's Secretary
You have a point, but....

I have been trying to collect games for a number of years, it is not very often that you come across a guy selling his entire collection and purports to have an orginal copy of MS1. That said, I wouldn't even have looked at this bundle for the price he was asking if he hadn't listed MS1 as one of the games included. Most of the games, were the low dollar non collectors interest type, except for a couple. What I expect to get when I negotiate a buy it now for thousands of dollars are original games. After careful review of all of our communications, I believe that this seller lied. It is too convenient of an argument to say, oh I didn't know. I believe that the seller included MS1 in this bundle to entice collectors to look and submit bids. That's all there is too it! He could have said in his reply to my inquiries, that MS1 was not an orginal. But he didn't! He told me " my entire collection is orginal." In repsonse to your statement, yes I do believe that he would include a boot to generate interest and try and pass it off as original. Simply put, that is what happened. And by the way, if was going to sue you for your comments it wouldn't be for slander it would be for libel. Slander is spoken, libel is written! FYI I wasn't trying to take advantage of this guy, I just had an expectation of honesty. I enjoyed your post...

Kuriakos

Kula's Candy
Did you simply ask for a refund? If so, did he refuse? I think you are overreacting big time.

P.S. This isn't broadcast or print

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Yeah, I am trying to work it out and have ,,

I am trying to work it out and have emailed the seller several times with no response. In short, he is ignoring my attempts to resolve this. Part of me wants to just forget it, busy schedule and all. On the other hand, I am upset that the guy flat out lied. Forget about the legal stuff, and put yourself in my shoes for a minute. What would you do? Let this go, lick your wounds and go home. Or force the issue? I might be willing to drop this thing if the seller would respond, and tell me where he got the game. So far, he won't even do that!

TLH

Kuriakos

Kula's Candy
The problem for me is the 29 legit carts and BB's assessment that you got a fair dealeven without MS1. I understand that if all you wanted out of the lot was MS1 how this would be irritating. If you do sue, what do you hope to gain? I bet he'd give a refund if simply threatened with legal action.

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Hey, I got continue this till later, but...

I don't want to sue, unless I can't work it out through the proper ebay channels.
Right now, I am waiting on this sellers response. I want to know where he got the game, and what he paid for it ect.... As far a value for the collection, that is in the eye of the beholder. You need to take into consideration, that my deal with this seller was for an immediate transaction for over two thousand dollars. As collectors, we have placed values on these old games based on internet info,ect... And, truth to tell these are somewhat accurate depending on economics ect.. But what a cart/collection is really worth, is only what someone is willing to pay for it at the time. When you trust someone enough to immediately Pay Pal a large sum of money, you should expect to get the benefit of your bargain, not a bootleg copy. Thank for your replies... TLH

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
All these fucking crying smilies ... reminds me of the "It can't be done!!" thread.

Why don't you tell us a little more about the auction?

What did the guy tell you about MS1? How much did you pay for the bundle? What games were included in the bundle?

Seems like you're flying off the handle.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I pulled this link from he other thread.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170172747158
There are a series of questions that must be asked to verify that the Metal Slug game is real. Just for the fact that the MS1 didn't include the manual should have steered you clear from the auction. As I stated before,even an authentic copy of MS1 without the manual is devalued considerably.
I don't know if you have the time but you could always resell the items you have no interest in.
BB

galfordo said:
All these fucking crying smilies ... reminds me of the "It can't be done!!" thread.

Why don't you tell us a little more about the auction?

What did the guy tell you about MS1? How much did you pay for the bundle? What games were included in the bundle?

Seems like you're flying off the handle.

TLH

Zero's Secretary
I was told all carts were original with instructions

The seller stated in his add that his games and system was mint to near mint. In my emails to the seller, I inquried about whether or not his collection was original. As stated before, the seller stated in his email "all of my games are originals." I based my purchase on this information and the photos he provided. FYI I did not post this thread to whine about this unfortunate transaction. I posted the thread to get input from other collectors. How many of us can afford to pay over $2500 for a guys used neo collection this time of year, and justify it to the wife? How many times have collectors been ripped off in a similar fashion? Its simply is too convenient an argument to pass a boot in an ebay transaction, and feign confusion (the proverbial some other dude sold it to me this way). I don't accept that excuse, but I wanted to get input from others before I spend a whole lot more money trying to resolve this. Also, I have not threatend this guy, as some have suggested. I have tried to get him to tell me where he got this game from. I think that may be where this ends up. Wouldn't it be nice to reduce the amount of fraud and passing of bootlegs? This really sucks, but I recognize it is a reality. So far this seller has ignored my emails to him asking for additional information.

bulletnyourass

noble trader
BIG BEAR said:
I pulled this link from he other thread.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170172747158
There are a series of questions that must be asked to verify that the Metal Slug game is real. Just for the fact that the MS1 didn't include the manual should have steered you clear from the auction. As I stated before,even an authentic copy of MS1 without the manual is devalued considerably.
I don't know if you have the time but you could always resell the items you have no interest in.
BB

BB,

I tried to check out the link but it's coming up page not found. Can either you or KPJ send me the link again via PM ..or at least the contents of the bundle and the price that it went for?

Phillip

Last edited: