4-slot issue

Kuriakos

Kula's Candy
This might be a bit of a n00b issue, so please bear with me. I have a 4-slot MVS dedicated cab that I've had for about 6 years. About a year ago I moved it out of the way as we were cramped for space, and at that time it worked fine. Recently, I tried to run the machine and it turns on fine, but for some reason goes straight to the hardware settings cross-hatch screen as if there is no cartridge in the thing. I've cleaned the cart, but still nothing. Any ideas?

GeorgeM

New Challenger
Funny enough ive just had this problem on my 1slot i just bought and it turned out my mvs cart was not sitting right i pushed lightly down on the top and bingo worked sounds bizzare but now it just boots dir to the game, might be of some help bud, good luck

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Common problem on the 4 slot.

It's typically caused by a leaking backup battery that eats a few traces under & around it.

I can fix that as a service f you don't feel comfortable with working on it.

Raymond

Kuriakos

Kula's Candy
channelmaniac said:
Common problem on the 4 slot.

It's typically caused by a leaking backup battery that eats a few traces under & around it.

I can fix that as a service f you don't feel comfortable with working on it.

Raymond

I think this might be the problem, is there a way I can visually confirm this before going to the trouble to get it fixed?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Kuriakos said:
I think this might be the problem, is there a way I can visually confirm this before going to the trouble to get it fixed?

If your battery is leaking it would be obvious most times. Just look around the battery if there's any acid on or around the battery.

Kuriakos

Kula's Candy
well, I've never yanked the mobo and looked at it, where is the battery located?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
It's on the bottom board.

The battery leakage might not be very visible. It all depends on how much it leaked. Sometimes it looks like little dark discolorations on the green traces that run under and next to the battery.

To look you'll have to remove the screws that hold the metal shield to the top board. Then there are a few long tiny screws that hold the connectors together between the top and bottmo board. Don't lose the little bitty nuts. Next look at the slots themselves. Sometimes there are one or 2 screws there too.

Once those are all removed then the boards can easily be separated.

RJ