monitor probs - advice needed

gargoyle7

20 Year Member
Okay, my Super Neo 29 candy just arrived, very nice cab. Only thing - I have some slight discoloration in the lower left hand corner of the monitor, about 15 mm wide and 3 inches high.

I have degaused, but its still there. Any suggestions?

I can definitely live with it, and love the cab, but one question.

Will the problem get worse over time? I mean, will the spot ever get larger?

I am going to try to leave the monitor on for more than 15 minutes to see if it goes away when warmed up.

Anyone with advice would be great, thanks in advance.

Lee (garg7)
<a href="http://www.neogeotemple.com" target="_blank">http://www.neogeotemple.com</a>

[ February 09, 2002: Message edited by: gargoyle7 ]</p>

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
It should not get any worse :)
Sometimes CRTs need to be manually degaused.
I find a small magnet (like the strip magnets from a fridge door seal) stratigically placed on the inside of the cab fixes the problem 90% of the time.
The last resort is to adjust the purity ring magnets on the neck of the tube,infront of the convergence adjustments, but you really need to know what you are doing !!
In real bad cases Ive found turning the CRT 180 degs can help, trouble is the EHT anode lead may not reach plus you will have to reverse the H/V scan.
Sometimes you just have to live with it.

gargoyle7

20 Year Member
URETHRA!!!! I had a steel wardrobe right next to it, and that was skewing the picture. I moved it and it was PERFECT. Hey, if I leave the metal wardrobe next to the screen (limited space here), will it damage the monitor in the long run?

Thanks guys for your suggestions, they gave me hope in my time of need. :p

BC_Gambit

Beni,
Wow that's messed up, but its good to know!

I'll keep that in mind for my future, that's for sure. :D

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
I had a similar problem with my arcade cabs. I keep most of them at work, and we moved them into a different room. When we turned them back on, most of the monitors looked horrible.

Turned out that there was a 220 power line running throught the wall behind where the cabs were lined up.

One trick to see if monitor discoloration is due to interference instead of a degaussing problem is to turn the cab while it is on. If the discoloration moves, most likely it is interference.

Neo-Newbie

n00b
Wow, just got done cleaning out the inside of my cab, when I turned it back on all the colors seemed abit washed out.

Came to the forums to look for some answers and what ya know... Briggs has done it again. Just moved my cab away from the wall and my screen got alot brighter, had me worried for a sec.

Thx again guys :)

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Have you turned the cab around at a different angle, that may have caused this if it was "warm" to start with. Otherwise you have accidentaly pulled out the degauss plug from the monitor PCB.