What kind of power supply I need for a NEO-AES3-6?

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi, please someone could tell me what kind of power supply I could use (also not original) for a NEO-AES3-6?

THANKS

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
yami said:
Hi, please someone could tell me what kind of power supply I could use (also not original) for a NEO-AES3-6?

THANKS

Is it US or Japanese?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
The region doesn't matter, they're all the same. You can use a 9v or 12v PSU rated at least 800mA.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I have a couple of 3-6 's that use 5v 3a
BB

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
MKL said:
The region doesn't matter, they're all the same. You can use a 9v or 12v PSU rated at least 800mA.

No they're not. There are 3 with the same output but 1 with a different one.

I asked if it was English because if it was then it would be the only 120v PSU which is 5v 3A.

PRO-POW
power input AC100V
power output DC5V 3A

PRO-POW-UL
power input AC120V
power output DC5V 3A

PRO-POW2
power in AC100V
power out DC5V 3A

PRO-POW3
power in AC100V
power out DC10V or DC11V

If your power in is AC100V then you've got a Japanese system. US Systems power input is AC120.

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
... so which "pro-pow" should i use ??? :conf:
Thanks

P.S. Ciao MKL !!! :)

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
No they're not. There are 3 with the same output but 1 with a different one.

I asked if it was English because if it was then it would be the only 120v PSU which is 5v 3A.

Trying to infer the specs of a given board revision from a list of official PSUs specs is an incorrect approach. Your list doesn't include the PRO-POW-PAL (AC220-240 DC5V 3A) and the PRO-POW-E (AC100-120-220-240 DC10V 1A) which render your line of reasoning inconclusive.

3-6 revisions have invariably the same power input circuit, there are no 5v versions unless it's a hack.

yami said:
... so which "pro-pow" should i use ???
Thanks

P.S. Ciao MKL !!! :)

ciao

You should use a PRO-POW-3 or a PRO-POW-E if you're looking for an official PSU. Or you could get a non official one with the specs I indicated in my first post. In this case the PSU also needs to have a plug with negative tip.

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
MKL said:
Trying to infer the specs of a given board revision from a list of official PSUs specs is an incorrect approach. Your list doesn't include the PRO-POW-PAL (AC220-240 DC5V 3A) and the PRO-POW-E (AC100-120-220-240 DC10V 1A) which render your line of reasoning inconclusive.

3-6 revisions have invariably the same power input circuit, there are no 5v versions unless it's a hack.

ciao

You should use a PRO-POW-3 or a PRO-POW-E if you're looking for an official PSU. Or you could get a non official one with the specs I indicated in my first post. In this case the PSU also needs to have a plug with negative tip.

Negative tip it means "polarità negativa"? ;)

And... there is a way to know FOR SURE if the AES it's japanese, or it doesn't matter?

THANKS !!!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
MKL said:

Why do you get so defensive? When you correct me I dont respond like that, you did that to Channelmaniac as well. Plus your response contradicts what you said earlier in the thread.

And BTW I had a 3-6 and my PSU was a 5v 3A.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
yami said:
Negative tip it means "polarità negativa"? ;)

Sì. Vuol dire che la spina ha il negativo all'interno e il positivo all'esterno. Purtroppo la maggior parte degli alimentatori in commercio sono invece a polarità positiva. Solo su alcuni alimentatori è possibile invertire la polarità.

yami said:
And... there is a way to know FOR SURE if the AES it's japanese, or it doesn't matter?

Matters for what? For power? Let's try to settle the matter once for all: if your board is, as I believe, like this:

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1314/s2022964ps9.jpg

then just stick to what I told you in the posts above. If it's different, i.e. if the components in the yellow area are missing or if there is a daughterboard or anything else, then post a pic. But I'm 100% sure that's not the case.

If you're just curious about the system region and currently have no cart to test it with, look at the code on the bios: if it says NEO-PO it's Japanese. Most probably it's Japanese as the vast majority of 3-6 revisions are Japanese.

Xian Xi said:
Why do you get so defensive? When you correct me I dont respond like that

Huh? I simply said "incorrect" and "inconclusive". Do you really find it harsh or aggressive? If so I apologize but it wasn't meant to be.

Xian Xi said:
Plus your response contradicts what you said earlier in the thread.

That must be a misunderstanding. I meant that 3-6 boards (not the PSUs) are all the same powerwise, no matter what the bios region is.

Xian Xi said:
And BTW I had a 3-6 and my PSU was a 5v 3A.

I posted above a pic of the power input circuit on a 3-6. There isn't room for a 5v circuit unlike on previous revisions. Post a pic (also Big Bear) and if it's really 5v we should see something non standard on it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
No problem dude, I just woke up when I read it. But when I look at that pic it doesnt look like the one I had because I remember my board having a 3 prong regulator as I had to replace it since it was cracked.

If I still had my AES I would post a pic but I sold it about 9 months ago or so. Hopefully BB has a pic or something because this is just weird. Unless SNK really didnt care about keeping things uniform with the 3-6.

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
Here is a photo of the AES board. I haven't power supply and carts to test, so I've done this photos to be sure:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/yami1983/DSCF0238.jpg

... so with this board I should use a PRO-POW-3 or PRO-POW-E or a generic power supply with 9v or 12v, 800mA and negative tip that's right?

Ehm... where is the bios? (to see if it's Japanese?) :D

MANY THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP!!!

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
yami said:
Here is a photo of the AES board. I haven't power supply and carts to test, so I've done this photos to be sure:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/yami1983/DSCF0238.jpg

... so with this board I should use a PRO-POW-3 or PRO-POW-E or a generic power supply with 9v or 12v, 800mA and negative tip that's right?

Yes. A Megadrive PSU will also do.

yami said:
Ehm... where is the bios? (to see if it's Japanese?) :D

It's the 40-pin Toshiba chip labelled SP1 close to the right edge of the board.

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
MKL said:
Yes. A Megadrive PSU will also do.

It's the 40-pin Toshiba chip labelled SP1 close to the right edge of the board.

Ok thanks, it's 100% japanese.

So you mean obvioulsy a japanese genesis PSU right?

GRAZIE !!!

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
yami said:
So you mean obvioulsy a japanese genesis PSU right?

No, I mean the PSU you use on your PAL Megadrive.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I made a mistake,my bad. The 3-3 and the 3-5 are 5v 3a and the versions in my possesion atm,the 3-6 is definitely a JPN unit 10v 1000ma model that I no longer have.
I snapped a photo fo my 3-5 for future reference.
Large AES 3-5 photo
BB

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
I made a mistake,my bad. The 3-3 and the 3-5 are 5v 3a and the versions in my possesion atm,the 3-6 is definitely a JPN unit 10v 1000ma model that I no longer have.
I snapped a photo fo my 3-5 for future reference.
Large AES 3-5 photo
BB

Ya I just looked up an old email when I was emailing Jeff for a Neobitz for my AES and ya it was a 3-5, sorry MKL. No wonder nothing in that picture looked familiar.

So just to clarify there were actually 6 different PSUs for the AES?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
So just to clarify there were actually 6 different PSUs for the AES?

To the best of my knowledge, yes. I don't know if more PRO-POW2 versions exist though. Oddly, the PRO-POW3 is actually called NEO-POW3.

PRO-POW
type: wall-mount
power input AC100V
power output DC5V 3A

PRO-POW-UL
type: wall-mount
power input AC120V
power output DC5V 3A

PRO-POW-PAL
type: desktop
power in AC220-240V
power out DC5V 3A