US MVS Bios Question

Doc

n00b
I've seen it stated several times that the US MVS bios is "flaky", can anyone elaborate? Thanks -

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I'm not sure what you mean, I have 3 boards with US bios and 1 with UK. Never noticed a difference in the performance or how stable the boards run. The only thing I've heard are that some games are censored, but you can turn blood on in the soft dips and Mai is generally bouncy enough for me so I haven't paid much attention to what is censored exactly.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
If you like the arcade options, you like English, and you like the games uncensored, the US MVS bios is good for that.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
werejag said:
usa version is censored i thought
Are US arcade machines usually censored? No, I had the US MVS bios as my main system for at least a good 7 years. You can always turn off censorship in the soft dip settings, if not already off by default. If there are any small differences available only on a Japanese region system for any game, I'm sure it's small. It's the AES owners who got the short end of the stick.

Doc

n00b
Yeah, you know the only major differences that I've been aware of are the lack of a 'common' setting for coin, and of course, the censoring. Not sure, other than that, of any differences - I probably just mistook 'flaky' for something referring to reliability, when it was meant to be used in the context of performance

claymin

Rugal's Thug
normally, you can adjust violence level or blood color in soft dip mode in US bios.

But, some games are still censored and does not give you options to change.
For example, Mai's bouncy boobs (when she is just standing) are completely censored since KOF 96. (bouncy boobs are still featured in 94 and 95) and you have no way to change it in soft dip mode.

I guess that's why Unibios is so popular since it gives you every possible option, but I just stick with the original US bios. ;)

claymin

Rugal's Thug
oh, I was wrong. Mai's sweet bouncy breasts are still present in KOF 96 under US bios. Guess I got confused. :emb:

Pas

Camel Slug
Doc said:
Yeah, you know the only major differences that I've been aware of are the lack of a 'common' setting for coin, and of course, the censoring. Not sure, other than that, of any differences - I probably just mistook 'flaky' for something referring to reliability, when it was meant to be used in the context of performance

There are a couple of different versions of each regions bios. I have a US bios in my four slot MVS-U4 cab that uses a common coin input. But my six slot with a us bios uses dual coins readings and is a different version. I know of at least a few revisions of each region...although I have not tried burning them all to roms and swapping them around to figure out all the differences yet...its kind of a pain without a nice one slot board with an easily accessable bios to do so. But I hope to find a good board sometime soon to work with and hopefuly try to map out all the differences. I will post up more info once I do (unless anyone has already done this).