Off Topic: How the hell do you install a program with Linux?

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Sorry, I know it's off-topic but I'm desperate, I require some technical info on linux software, I hope somebody in this forum can help it.

I've temporarily enrolled as a PhD student in Newcastle and they have assigned me a computer... that uses Debian Linux. Well, I'm ashamed to say I'm used to fucking Windows. The fact is that I need to use this computer to write a work with lots of mathematical formulaes. With windows I used a LATEX processor called Scientific Workplace. I want to use a similar program. Well, I made a search and found <a href="http://www.lyx.org" target="_blank">lyx</a> , that looks like the program I need. I've donwloaded and unzipped it, but now I don't know how to install or rum it. It uncompressed to some files and folders, but clicking on them has no effect.

Anybody can help me or point me to some other place? help

Thanks in advance.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
There should be a text file called INSTALL or README in the directory of Lyx, check it out with less or vi to get a clue about how to install the software.

Usually, if it's an open source software, all you have to do is:

- cd to program directory

- ./configure

- make

- (as root) make install

...don't forget to RTFM (read the fine manual).

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well yes, I already read that instructions in some documents that came in the package, but the linux I have has a windows-based interface. There's a tab in the file manager that allows me to write commands, but I didn't notice that made anything. Also I have a student login, but I don't think I can login as root...

Oh well, I'll guess I'll have to give-up and assume the shame of asking the other students around here, or the department computer manager... :rolleyes:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Amano Jacu:
Well yes, I already read that instructions in some documents that came in the package, but the linux I have has a windows-based interface. There's a tab in the file manager that allows me to write commands, but I didn't notice that made anything. Also I have a student login, but I don't think I can login as root...

Oh well, I'll guess I'll have to give-up and assume the shame of asking the other students around here, or the department computer manager... :rolleyes:
In that case, you don't have to issue the 'make install' line if you don't have access to the root pw.

Depending on the window manager you use (I guess it's fukn KDE), open a shell window and look what kind of prompt you get; they should have given you a username+pw, so in most cases (if you are logged in with your user) you will find yourself in your own home directory if you open a shell.

Next, unpack the program into your home directory and follow the steps until 'make' (leave out 'make install'); you don't have to install anything, 'make' is enough if you just want to use the program. After the compilation is complete, you can start lyx by typing "lyx" in the program directory.

You can email/PM me if you need more help.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
OK, I just found a tab in the "Start"-like button (it says IceWM on it) that says Terminal, by pressing it I got a small window with commands like DOS, I wrote ./configure in that directory and know it looks like it is compiling it. Well, now it says there have been some errors and that some files are missing oh_no . Hell, more error messages if try "make" crying
Definately I need to ask somebody, in fact they may already have a program installed that suits my needs, and if not I can ask for assistance on succesfully installing this lyx.

I guess I'm just to used to just double-clicking set-up to install something... :rolleyes: You don't appreciate the value of things til you miss them. :cool:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
you coult get the binary lyx distribution if one exists.

edit: <a href="ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/bin/1.3.2/" target="_blank">ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/bin/1.3.2/</a>

RPM's (useless to you and debian), and binary tar.gz which looks like it might be an XWindows application by the name.

<small>[ June 11, 2003, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: kernow ]</small>

Shred

Bead Banger
Debian uses the APT system to download and install software.
<a href="http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html" target="_blank">APT How-to</a>

Of course you will probably still need root access and the software will need to be on one of the servers that are referenced in the \etc\apt\sources.list file.

<small>[ June 11, 2003, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Shred ]</small>

There's a book called "Running Linux" that is awesome.

<a href="http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/runux4/" target="_blank">http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/runux4/</a>

B

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I'm starting to hate this Linux thingy...I guess the dark force of uncle Billy has gone deep inside me... the end of the world is near eye eye

I'll give another shot at the binary kernow says, and if doesn't work I'll just ask.
By the way, I also wanted to install another program ( <a href="http://www.r-project.org/" target="_blank">R</a>) and I only managed to download a RPM file, which I don't know how to use at all. :o

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
R for Debian

<a href="ftp://cran.r-project.org/pub/R/bin/linux/debian/" target="_blank">ftp://cran.r-project.org/pub/R/bin/linux/debian/</a>

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, I uncompressed the Lyx binary and managed to run ./configure in the directory share/lyx, and I think it was configured OK. However I don't know what to do now, it doesn't respond to command "make" (it says there's no make file). In the readme it says that after the ./configure step I need to make sure that the directory bin/ is in my path... whatever that means spock . Step 4 is only related if I want to use reLyx. And there's no step 5, it just says "That's it". Oh well.... blow_top

Shred

Bead Banger
Amano Jacu:
Well, I uncompressed the Lyx binary and managed to run ./configure in the directory share/lyx, and I think it was configured OK. However I don't know what to do now, it doesn't respond to command "make" (it says there's no make file). In the readme it says that after the ./configure step I need to make sure that the directory bin/ is in my path... whatever that means spock . Step 4 is only related if I want to use reLyx. And there's no step 5, it just says "That's it". Oh well.... blow_top
Forget this trying to compile the program bs. If you are using Debian Linux and have an internet connection just try this.
Open a terminal
Type "apt-get install lyx"
Their is already a compiled deb package that this command should down load and install.
As far as the R program goes the Debian web site lists these packages as available.
r-base 1.5.1-0woody1
GNU R statistical computing language and environment
r-base-core 1.5.1-0woody1
GNU R core of statistical computing language and environment
r-base-dev 1.5.1-0woody1
GNU R installation of auxiliary GNU R packages
r-base-html 1.5.1-0woody1
GNU R html docs for statistical computing system functions
r-base-latex 1.5.1-0woody1
GNU R LaTeX docs for statistical computing system functions
r-gnome 1.5.1-0woody1
GNU R Gnome gui for statistical computing system
r-mathlib 1.5.1-0woody1
GNU R standalone mathematics library
r-recommended 1.5.1-0woody1
GNU R collection of recommended packages

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Thanks, I tried the "apt-get install lyx" command and it looks like is the way to go, the problem is that it says that I need to be logged as root :( . So that's it, I need to talk with the computer manager as I'm afraid regular users like me are not supposed to install programs themselves.

About R, I guess I should downloaded it from here
<a href="ftp://cran.r-project.org/pub/R/bin/linux/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-all/" target="_blank">ftp://cran.r-project.org/pub/R/bin/linux/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-all/</a>

A file with extension .deb . If I click on it the it goes "inside" the file and there are 2 folders (contents and debian) and two file, one of them named "install". If I click on it I get this message:

WARNING
Don't use this method if you are not willing to reinstall everything...

This is not a real file. It is a way to install the package you are browsing.

To install this package go back to the panel and press Enter on this file.

In Debian systems, a package is automatically upgraded when you install a new
version of it. There is no special upgrade option. Install always works.
But I can't understand "To install this package go back to the panel and press Enter on this file." annoyed

I feel like Ben Stiller in Zoolander mr_t

Shred

Bead Banger
Amano Jacu:
Thanks, I tried the "apt-get install lyx" command and it looks like is the way to go, the problem is that it says that I need to be logged as root :( . So that's it, I need to talk with the computer manager as I'm afraid regular users like me are not supposed to install programs themselves.

About R, I guess I should downloaded it from here
<a href="ftp://cran.r-project.org/pub/R/bin/linux/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-all/" target="_blank">ftp://cran.r-project.org/pub/R/bin/linux/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-all/</a>

A file with extension .deb . If I click on it the it goes "inside" the file and there are 2 folders (contents and debian) and two file, one of them named "install". If I click on it I get this message:

WARNING
Don't use this method if you are not willing to reinstall everything...

This is not a real file. It is a way to install the package you are browsing.

To install this package go back to the panel and press Enter on this file.

In Debian systems, a package is automatically upgraded when you install a new
version of it. There is no special upgrade option. Install always works.
But I can't understand "To install this package go back to the panel and press Enter on this file." annoyed

I feel like Ben Stiller in Zoolander mr_t
Yeah that is what I thought you would have to be root. Anything with .deb is the program package for Debian. This is what apt-get pulls off the server and installs. I wouldn't recomend installing anything in a Debian system unless it is done through apt. Since apt will resolve dependancy issues when you tell it to install something.
Debian can be rather complex and frustrating which is why I do not recomend it for people who have little to no experience with Linux.
I would talk to your admin and get them to add anything you need.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, I've finally asked another student that is used to linux, and R was already installed and I only needed to type "R" for it to appear glee

About Lyx, he has told me that everybody around here uses direct Latex inputs, and editors such as Lyx or Scientific Workplace are for losers :rolleyes: . In any case he has tried to install Lyx in my computer for almost an hour, but unsuccessfully... Appearently it needs some libraries like xfonts tha we couldn't find anywhere crying

But he has lent me a Latex manual annoyed :cool: :p spock loco