Connecting two controllers to one Port on a CMVS

gleason

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have three custom controllers I would like to connect to one NEO GEO CMVS unit. My question is this, I have two extension cables, could I splice one into the other so I could simultaneously connect two controllers to one port and not have to change them out without any ill effects? Of course I would only use one at a time. Thanks.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
the neo-geo controllers are just switches so.... yes you can create a Y cable to do what you talk about.

The Webmiester

Pvt. Picklestein,
something like in the auction would work, a pc joystick Y adapter. However I can't tell from that particular picture if it's the right combo of male/female. If you happen to find these around, you could use a combination of two of them and connect all three at the same time.

linky: y-adapter

The Webmiester

Pvt. Picklestein,
hmm i wonder if the neo geo would get confused by the input of say, left and right at the same time? or up and down? ie if the two joysticks happened to be pushed in said directions at the same time.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Why dont you just make a quick rewired adapter in a small project box?

Female DB15>Male DB15
Custom Pinout>Neo Pinout

danox574

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
The Webmiester said:
hmm i wonder if the neo geo would get confused by the input of say, left and right at the same time? or up and down? ie if the two joysticks happened to be pushed in said directions at the same time.

Back in the day, if you closed up & down or left & right simultaneously on a lot of Atari 2600, 7800, or Atari computer games (who all used the same input scheme) you'd get some really unpredictable results.

-Dan

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
gleason said:
I have three custom controllers I would like to connect to one NEO GEO CMVS unit. My question is this, I have two extension cables, could I splice one into the other so I could simultaneously connect two controllers to one port and not have to change them out without any ill effects? Of course I would only use one at a time. Thanks.

Personally, I would play it safe and just plug and un-plug. Just use extension cables that way your not constantly un-plugging it directly from the CMVS.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
zapatistab said:
Personally, I would play it safe and just plug and un-plug. Just use extension cables that way your not constantly un-plugging it directly from the CMVS.

what he said...

The only time I used something like that in parell was the time i had Capcom Bowling on a test rig....

Last edited:

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
The Webmiester said:

No problems, I've had a controller hooked up to the joystick port while changing up the joystick on the CP. It actually screwed me up for a while because I entered input test mode and had the controller on a stool (forgot that it was there and was hooked up to controller port) and flipped the CP forward wich laid on the stick pushing it down. It took me a while to figure out why I was showing a constant direction on the with the down direction. I was convinced I had a short somewhere for about a half hour. Drove me nuts. Anyway, making a long story short, I hooked up the joystick on the CP while the joystick hooked up to the controller port was sending in a constant down direction signal and nothing wacky happened.

gleason

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I made a Y splice and it works great, thanks for the responses.

Testocules

Fio's Quartermaster
I have some of these in case you are looking for something that looks more refined. I bought a bulk of 12 PC joystick Y extenders. They have a 15 pin female end to plug into your joystick port and branches out into 2 15 pin male sockets. If you want one, send me a pm - and I will give you one if you'll cover the shipping.