force 4.3 mode

S1

n00b
everytime i turn my aes on or switch on to change carts it is in widescreen mode on my sony tv and i have to switch it to 4.3 with the remote, is there a way to force the tv it to be 4.3 all the time like when im watching tv.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
If the scart has 5v wired to pin 8 it will automatically switch from TV mode to AV mode but in 16:9 aspect. To have 4:3 the voltage needs to be higher, say 12v, but an AES only has 5v on the A/V port. Solution: leave scart pin 8 unwired and use the remote to switch from TV mode to A/V mode.

S1

n00b
i tried cutting the wire on pin 8 and it did make the tv 4.3 but with a bad picture, like composite quality. their is also a resistor on pin 8 atatched to another pin but i left this alone, is their another solution or will another scart lead do the trick.

thanks

steve

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
The resistor is across pin 8 and 16. You need to remove it from pin 8 and solder it to the wire you cut. Basically you want the 5v wire to go to pin 16 through the resistor.

S1

n00b
are there any other scart cables i can get that will show the picture in 4.3 without having to cut and soldier

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
Like MKL said, 12v needs to be applied to the pin, and the Neo Geo only outputs 5v.

The only way to do it would be to use an external power supply or a battery applied to the pin, and yeah that would involve soldering...

If you still wanted your AES modding (which you posted about recently?), I'm sure I could work something out with the SCART cable as well.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You could use a dual voltage PSU and rewire the internals to take power from that PSU so you can get +5v and +12v. But I think it's better if you just use the remote since it's your TV thats the problem, not the AES.

S1

n00b
thanks but i just had it modded, and the neo i used to have never had this problem at all?, it was just in 4.3 all the time but it was used with another sony trinitron but slightly older model

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
S1 said:
thanks but i just had it modded, and the neo i used to have never had this problem at all?, it was just in 4.3 all the time but it was used with another sony trinitron but slightly older model

But you had to switch from TV mode to A/V mode with the remote, right? I mean, the console picture wasn't displayed automatically when tou turned on the console, was it? To get this all you need is a scart cable wired as I told you above. If you really want the console to automatically display a 4:3 picture though, that's possible if:

- the AES is a PRO-POW 3 (or PRO-POW E) model. Read the label under the console.

- the power supply is 12v (10v should also do, not sure about 9v).

- the AES undergoes a very simple mod (removing a ferrite and soldering a piece of wire).

S1

n00b
It says on bottom thats its pro pow e and i use a 10v megadrive power supply and with the old console i only had to put it in av mode on the remote once and it was 4.3 from then on