Portable JAMMA System Project

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Hello,

I looking for someone to make this for me with additional features??

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bit/6884/page1.html" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bit/6884/page1.html</a>

I would like a larger 15" LCD laptop screen, a second external JAMMA harness & a way to switch between it and the internal Neo Geo MV-1C board, a DVD player & a rechargeable battery. I'm also looking into modding the large Neo Geo controller with 3 extra buttons so I can also play Street Fighter games. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm not sure how you can make this very compact. And I'm REALLY not sure how you'd display an arcade RGB signal on a laptop VGA monitor.

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
That thing is sweet

Id love to have that and bring it to work to play, hell if someone could add support for a laptop battery or 2 it would be even better and far more portable.

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Yep,

That was my thinking on it. I know it can be done, just have to find right kind of person with the proper skills and all. Hey, what part of Louisiana are you from? I used to work in Morgan City @ CalDive International. Man, it was damn hot down there, no place for this Alaskan to be working :( .

I'm not sure how you can make this very compact. And I'm REALLY not sure how you'd display an arcade RGB signal on a laptop VGA monitor.
I'm not worried about it being too compact, just functional I suppose. Something I can bring with me on trips and being able to play my games at my friends house on either their tv or just use the monitor.

<small>[ August 24, 2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: SeaWolf69 ]</small>

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
"And I'm REALLY not sure how you'd display an arcade RGB signal on a laptop VGA monitor"

I was thinking about making something like this but this was the same problem I ran into. I was thinking about getting one of those car lcd screens but they are more like 7-10 inches and usually widescreen. I would have used the jrok to transfer the rgb to s-vid and l/r audio. They do have car dvd players for like 100 bucks that are VERY small.

I think the neo controller mod might be tough, as it's so thin. You would need japanese arcade buttons and most likely re-do everything inside the controller. You would need a kick harness, dual jamma hookup, etc...

It looks to me like you, or who ever builds this for you, is going to have their hands full.

good luck

neo*geo

Mickey's Coach
people we need to make this i need one i neeed blue prints and i will mAke alot and sell them off if i have blue prints this is the coolest thing since i found out how too cut sliced bread lol!

neo*geo

Mickey's Coach
people we need to make this i need one i neeed blue prints and i will mAke alot and sell them off if i have blue prints this is the coolest thing since i found out how too cut sliced bread lol!

neo*geo

Mickey's Coach
PEOPLE SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST BUT ID JSUT LIKE TOO SAY IM MAKING ONE AND I WILL POST IT

the binary c0de

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
20 Year Member
SeaWolf69:
Man, it was damn hot down there, no place for this Alaskan to be working :( .
Where in Alaska are you? I lived in Fairbanks for 4 yrs and in Valdez for about 6. Sorry for the spam. err...yeah, lets make one of these things. wink

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Are you making one with just the screen? Or this super one with the dvd and game switch? Either way, good luck :)

neo*geo

Mickey's Coach
the one with out the dvd but it is also gonna have a power pack and a quite large screen and

neo*geo

Mickey's Coach
the one with out the dvd but it is also gonna have a power pack and a quite large screen and

neo*geo

Mickey's Coach
people i can make probably a small batch of these i would make more jsut i have school and sell them but they would be quite expensive
around $300 each but a limit of these i can make cause i have school and it would in a month or so

Arakon

Robert Garcia's Butler
I doubt you can put this together for just 300 bucks in small quantities. the mvs board alone costs 130-170, the screen prolly another 100-150 (if it's a 7-10" car lcd), the jrok if it doesn't take RGB another 80, and you still don't have the case, wiring, connectors and not to mention the work included.

laptop screens don't even take normal VGA usually, most of them have a custom pinout.

as for what seawolf wants.. expect to spend 1000-1500 bucks or more on that, and it won't be overly portable either. custom cases aren't cheap, neither are lcd screens of that size, plus converters, plus stuffing an entire dvd player into it (which would need to be a portable player in the first place, which aren't cheap either), etc. that's something a large company could produce in quantities of a few thousand, but for a single item, I doubt the cost is worth it at all.

also, the neogeo stick is pretty slim, so extra buttons could be a real problem.. using the japanese style ones like the DC stick does MIGHT work.

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
SeaWolf69:
Yep,

That was my thinking on it. I know it can be done, just have to find right kind of person with the proper skills and all. Hey, what part of Louisiana are you from? I used to work in Morgan City @ CalDive International. Man, it was damn hot down there, no place for this Alaskan to be working :( .

I'm not worried about it being too compact, just functional I suppose. Something I can bring with me on trips and being able to play my games at my friends house on either their tv or just use the monitor.
Bogalusa, its about an hour North of New Orleans.

BILLY

Mr. Big's Thug
It's possible to use the LCD from the Sony PSOne screen to run 15kHz analog RGB. It actually looks really, really good (although small). I've run SNES games on this screen in RGB, so I'm sure the Neo can work as well.

This is the first party Sony screen only. I don't think the third party screens can support an RGB signal (composite only).

The only way I know of to go VGA is with an XRGB-2 which is gonna get expensive and not very compact. The PSOne screen is probably the cheapest way to build something portable that's gonna look good enough to justify building it.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
eek! Wow! That's awesome! Everytime I come onto the Tech Forums I see a great converson. Great job! buttrock

neo*geo

Mickey's Coach
i can get a 1 slot small for about $56 screen 5 inch about $80 and so fourth

Arakon

Robert Garcia's Butler
you can't get a 1C for 56 bucks, tho.
on all others the cart slides in along the PCB, that can't be put into a case nicely without heavy modification.
on the 1C, the cart slides in in a 90° angle from the pcb, allowing it to be put into a case much easier.

neo*geo

Mickey's Coach
i can and will i have a very nice contact in england too get me cheap 1 slots and stuff and mvs games

Arakon

Robert Garcia's Butler
how come you never replied to my PM about 1B/1C mvs then when you offered them in the sale forum? I'd still be interested in those models.

neo*geo

Mickey's Coach
sure ive just been having girl troubles at the moment and school stuff sorry about thatguys the mvs 1 slots will be coming shortly

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
neo*geo people we need to make this i need one i neeed blue prints and i will mAke alot and sell them off if i have blue prints this is the coolest thing since i found out how too cut sliced bread lol!
lol.
you need blue prints and still you're talking about selling such systems?
are you - sort of - related to 'zorro'?

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Hah,

Ok, scratch the DVD player and find a way to convert the 15 khz RGB signal to VGA Laptop screen. On the controllers I would just make them myself and use a Belkins DB-15 extension cable and just use the extra pins that are not used. I was thinking more or less installing it in a 1600 Pelican case as the size limitations. Something where you open up the case & the screen is mounted in the lid and either plug the controllers in while the case is open or cut out sections for them to plug in I suppose.
This is something for me, I not trying to mass produce them and it would be easier for me to transport a pelican case around than my Cabinet. I do live in South East Alaska, we get around 120+ inches of rain fall a year. Hey, I'm glad you guys are interested in this, that is the reason I posted this so I can hash out the pro's & Con's of making this. :cool: