Concave vs. Convex Buttons.

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
I was just at Happs website (someone mentioned the controlers and that reminded me to check out thier optical guns) and I saw the competition buttons.

The convex ones (for those who don't know, think about a magnifying glass, curved up).

I've heard good things about these.

Does it really make any difference?

I know most if not all candy's use them now, so that's a definate sign.

Anyone have an opinion?

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Depends. Fighting=convex
Shooter=concave

the convex (for me) makes it more precise while concave is good for mashing.

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
it would come down to personal preference since the micro switch on the bottom is the same on both.

C

Caris Nautilus

Convex rules.

Concave give you blisters, and slip more when your hands get sweaty.

T

TRIEUMINATOR

convex buttons are meant to be "flicked" instead of "pushed" like the concave buttons.

the japanese players prefer the convex buttons when competing in tourneys such as fighting games like street fighter and the like, because the response is "quicker" and is lower in height overall, which allows you to do combos without hitting the side of the next button you're going to push to connect the combo.

concave buttons work well for shooters and generally last longer since it's more solid and rarely suffer the same type of abuse.

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
I agree DRIFT KING just about every american cab I own has concave buttons , my candy of course has the convex buttons and they are more comfortable.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Concave.

mvs cabs were originally fitted with concave.
why not stick to the original design.

Do agree that for fighting games, convex may have the edge.