2 slot cab to 6 slot conversion

Cleatis

n00b
Is there anything stopping me from buying a 2 slot and throwing a 6 slot board into it? I imagine it to be a pretty simple conversion that wont cost much more than the price of a new board. Any thoughts?

Kaike

Geese's Thug
I would just think your power supply would need to be able to handle the 6-slot. So it wuld have to be wired correctly.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There's nothing stopping you. Go ahead with it.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The only issue would be with the memory card reader, it is onboard on the 2 slot and on a seperate PCB (MVIC) for the 6 slot.

Cleatis

n00b
ttooddddyy said:
The only issue would be with the memory card reader, it is onboard on the 2 slot and on a seperate PCB (MVIC) for the 6 slot.

I don't think that will be a very hard thing to take care of. The whole thing seems pretty easy. I'll probably go with a 4 slot though, those 6 slot boards are pricey. Plus, if I go with a 4 slot, I can convert the marquee from a 2 to a 4, I don't know if 6 cards would fit up there.

As a side question, is there anybody running more than 6 carts in one cab? That would be an interesting mod.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Cleatis said:
I don't think that will be a very hard thing to take care of. The whole thing seems pretty easy. I'll probably go with a 4 slot though, those 6 slot boards are pricey. Plus, if I go with a 4 slot, I can convert the marquee from a 2 to a 4, I don't know if 6 cards would fit up there.
If you've got a cab with a memory slot on the front, then it could be an issue. The MV-IC memory card reader is rather difficult to come by, and otherwise you're going to have to make your own out of a PC card reader and ribbon cable.

Cleatis said:
As a side question, is there anybody running more than 6 carts in one cab? That would be an interesting mod.
I think I've seen the question before, and the short answer is there's no conceivable way to do it.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Cleatis said:

I think it was ttooddddyy who showed a link of several Jamma boards in one cab hooked up to some kind of multiboard jamma adapter.

I'm not sure if they make something like that for MVS..(maye change a jamma multi boards adapters wiring around)
I think it can be done if you know how to wire up stuff.

Put two 6 slot boards in one cab and switch from one to the other board.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I wouldn't do it unless you are always changing carts or have one on location.

6 Slots are such a pain in the ass.