Please allow me to be your disciple. =)

koda

n00b
Hey everyone. =) I'm sure you've figured out by now that I'm new here-- well, in all honesty I'm new to the arcadescene in general. I'm 22 years old, and while I have fond memories of dumping my quarters into the big red MVS cabinets as a kid, arcades are nearly extinct here now, and I was never able to afford to bring my love of arcade games into my home. Thus, my gaming career consists primarily of PC/console/handheld games.

I'm still not able to afford it, but rather than sitting around and dwelling on how I wish I had an AES system, or how I wish I had a cabinet or two, I'd like to start making steps towards achieving these things. They might be babysteps for the time being, but so be it. I'll do what I can.

The first step I think that I need to take is acquainting myself with the hardware end of things. I've been lurking here off and on for the last month or so-- all of this arcade love absolutely fascinates me. I often find myself confused, though, when I see people talking about arcade hardware. Maybe some of you can help clear things up for me? I know that each platform is going to be different, but there seem to be similar concepts and mechanisms that they have in common. I know it's a tall order, but at this point I really need the whole thing spelled out for me. What all do I need to know about different components? If nobody feels like discussing it with me firsthand, links to places where I can learn these things would still be appreciated. =)

For the future.. what route should I be looking into for my first setup? I know you can't decide that for me, as it would depend on my tastes, but I'm sure some of you guys have great recommendations-- I'm a broke college student, so price is obviously a significant factor.. one way or another, though, I will make it happen. I do realize that this is a very expensive hobby. For my first foray, cheaper will be better. Should I expect to have to do a lot of wood/electrical work? What sort of skills/tools are commonly needed? Is there a huge price difference between cabinet styles, and what about compatibility between them? The smaller 'Astro City' (?) style Japanese cabinets are more appealing to me than the larger standup cabinets seen more commonly here in the west.

Is an MVS setup going to be the best route, maybe? While I would eventually love to own arcade hardware such as the NAOMI and the Atomiswave (they are both home to many games that I adore), I am also a big fan of SNK games and I would get so much enjoyment out of an MVS cabinet. The MVS has the potential to have several games installed at once. How do games work with other arcade hardware? I've seen arcade 'cartridges' pictured as gigantic boards, etc.. in these instances, is there even a common unit that they all plug into? Or is the 'cartridge' the full and complete hardware in of itself? It seems to appear that way, sometimes.

Is an MVS setup going to be cheaper than an AES setup? What sort of advantages/disadvantages am I going to be looking at either either of these?

Meh.. this post was certainly a mouthful. Huge thanks to anyone who stuck it out, and even huger thanks to anyone who takes the time out of their day to respond. I realize that it can be difficult to put up with new users who don't know what they're doing or talking about-- hopefully I will be enlightened as to avoid slopping this place up with my noobness. =)

- koda

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Most of your questions have been answered many times already, just browse General Discussion for a while or use the search function and you will find a lot of interesting threads by people in a similar situation.

Basically, going MVS requires a few basic technical skills, knowing how to use a solder stick can't hurt, specially if you want to build your own adaptors to use a MVS board on a standard telly. You could also buy one of those fancy consolized ready-to-play MVS systems but most of them are quite expensive so that does not seem to be an option for you at the moment.

Homecart systems are not that expensive if you don't insist a mint boxed one but the games definitely run into money, specially the newer ones.

I own a homecart system and NGCD and IMO that's the best of two world but that's probably just me.

Oh, and welcome to neo-geo.com, enjoy your stay (if you can).

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Takumaji said:
I own a homecart system and NGCD and IMO that's the best of two world but that's probably just me.

I think so. The NGCD is just good for exploring the 3-4 exclusive games
it has. Other than that, not even for sentimental purposes it's worth it.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
koda said:
Hey everyone. =) I'm sure you've figured out by now that I'm new here-- well, in all honesty I'm new to the arcadescene in general. I'm 22 years old, and while I have fond memories of dumping my quarters into the big red MVS cabinets as a kid, arcades are nearly extinct here now, and I was never able to afford to bring my love of arcade games into my home. Thus, my gaming career consists primarily of PC/console/handheld games.

I'm still not able to afford it, but rather than sitting around and dwelling on how I wish I had an AES system, or how I wish I had a cabinet or two, I'd like to start making steps towards achieving these things. They might be babysteps for the time being, but so be it. I'll do what I can.

The first step I think that I need to take is acquainting myself with the hardware end of things. I've been lurking here off and on for the last month or so-- all of this arcade love absolutely fascinates me. I often find myself confused, though, when I see people talking about arcade hardware. Maybe some of you can help clear things up for me? I know that each platform is going to be different, but there seem to be similar concepts and mechanisms that they have in common. I know it's a tall order, but at this point I really need the whole thing spelled out for me. What all do I need to know about different components? If nobody feels like discussing it with me firsthand, links to places where I can learn these things would still be appreciated. =)

For the future.. what route should I be looking into for my first setup? I know you can't decide that for me, as it would depend on my tastes, but I'm sure some of you guys have great recommendations-- I'm a broke college student, so price is obviously a significant factor.. one way or another, though, I will make it happen. I do realize that this is a very expensive hobby. For my first foray, cheaper will be better. Should I expect to have to do a lot of wood/electrical work? What sort of skills/tools are commonly needed? Is there a huge price difference between cabinet styles, and what about compatibility between them? The smaller 'Astro City' (?) style Japanese cabinets are more appealing to me than the larger standup cabinets seen more commonly here in the west.

Is an MVS setup going to be the best route, maybe? While I would eventually love to own arcade hardware such as the NAOMI and the Atomiswave (they are both home to many games that I adore), I am also a big fan of SNK games and I would get so much enjoyment out of an MVS cabinet. The MVS has the potential to have several games installed at once. How do games work with other arcade hardware? I've seen arcade 'cartridges' pictured as gigantic boards, etc.. in these instances, is there even a common unit that they all plug into? Or is the 'cartridge' the full and complete hardware in of itself? It seems to appear that way, sometimes.

Is an MVS setup going to be cheaper than an AES setup? What sort of advantages/disadvantages am I going to be looking at either either of these?

Meh.. this post was certainly a mouthful. Huge thanks to anyone who stuck it out, and even huger thanks to anyone who takes the time out of their day to respond. I realize that it can be difficult to put up with new users who don't know what they're doing or talking about-- hopefully I will be enlightened as to avoid slopping this place up with my noobness. =)

- koda

For a first set up, I would say to get a neo candy and stock it with some killer titles. I can't think of a better way to play neo games.

koda

n00b
Thanks for the responses. I'll do some more reading around.

How much should I be expecting to pay for a candy cab and the guts to go in it?

jar155

n00b
koda said:

I paid $350 for a candy cab with a BRAND NEW 25" monitor and the Neo Geo wiring harness included. I bought a 4-slot MVS board from another member here for under $200 (already can't remember the price). I'd say depending on availability in your area, you could do it for $500-$600 (possibly with some carts).

Oh, and to everybody deciding to be an elitist prick, what's the deal? Why are you so resistant to new blood? I've only been here for a very short time, but I've already had great experiences with several long-time members. Can't you give a guy a chance before you decide to write them off? Just because somebody found this forum later than you did, it doesn't make them any less valuable to the community unless they choose to be.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
INfintido said:
which is 2 years :oh_no:

Two years, wow, I'm honestly impressed, seems that you still have a bit of catching up to do even after all these months. Bashing on War Room-only n00b trolls is okay but not on people actually looking for info like this guy here, I really HATE that.

So guys (that goes for our old bbs farts and the n00bs alike), save your stupid comments and flames for the real idiots, thank you.

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
Being an elitist snob as part of some kind of secret society that could only be joined through great cost and personal hardship might actually make some sense.

Being an elitist snob on a public internet board dedicated to a dead video game system that half the people here have never even played, much less owned and enjoyed in its original format, is beyond retarded. Even for these forums.

Being hostile to newcomers is a great way to make sure the community doesn't grow. Here's a hint to the rocket surgeons in this thread, the same hint I always give on this topic: this community is always shrinking as people lose interest and move on. We've already seen countless days where the only posts are from the same morons posting the same tired shit. Without new blood, it will dwindle down to nothing.

New guy: Don't mind the idiots, there are still some Neo enthusiasts here who are willing to talk hardware and games. Welcome aboard.

joe_higashi19

Life is an Illusion, The Magic is Down My Pants.,
Takumaji said:
That's a mouthful for someone who joined in 2005. :oh_no:

I think thats a mouthful for anyone.:spock:

EX_Andy said:
New guy: Don't mind the idiots, there are still some Neo enthusiasts here who are willing to talk hardware and games. Welcome aboard.

Ditto.:smirk:

Last edited:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
koda said:

- koda

i just wanted to take the time to say i didn't take the time to read anything you wrote.

Lordstar

New Challenger
koda said:

how long is a piece of string. you can pay a few hundred to a few K

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
SNKJorge said:
I think so. The NGCD is just good for exploring the 3-4 exclusive games
it has. Other than that, not even for sentimental purposes it's worth it.

If you lack a MVS set up, the CD is a good way to play some of the earlier pricey titles (MS1, Viewpoint..etc ).

As for the later games, I simply lack the patience with the load times.