How much did you pay for your Neo carts?

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Since we were talking about Neo collections, I thought it might be interesting if we could compare what we paid for our games, because alot of people pay WAY more than they need to for their carts. Also, I just included a short blurb on how I got into the scene.

I guess the reason I trip out about price is because I've done very well for myself in the Neo collecting department, but my success is due to patience, and not money.

I was originally planning NOT to buy Neo games when I got my Neo Geo. I bought my Neo STRICTLY for Samurai Shodown and SS2. The Neo I found happened to come with KOF 94 and Magician Lord, so I lucked out with games I didn't particularly need, but being a big Mai fan, it was still cool.

Well after surfing the internet the first time, I happened upon the erstwhile Big Bruno's Gym where I saw Phil's "Neo Geo Room" This freaked me out. I was like, "Wow I guess you don't have to be rich to get a bunch of Neo games!" (not to make a statement about Phil's finances, it's just what I thought when I saw it) and thus my search began.

I've decided to try my best to list my games and what I paid for them, plus where I got them, so you have an idea of why I'm so harsh about people charging alot.

My Original Purchase (Famous Pawn):
Neo Geo, 2 controllers, KOF 94
$300
Additional no box Magician Lord:
$15

Brand New:
Samurai Shodown 2 $250 (either Gamestuff or SNK?)

From Famous Pawnbrokers (Neo from a different location):
Samurai Showdown $100
Fatal Fury $15
View Point $15
World Heroes $15
(I told the store to either sell them to me or let them collect dust for another 6 months until I returned again. Pawnshops deserve it anyway...)

Steve Hanson(controller builder and friend of wonder):
Crossed Swords $10
Football Frenzy $5
King of Fighters 97 $100 (the week 98 came out)
World Heroes 2 $5
(Steve's battle cry: "Dude, get these off my shelf!")

J&L Video Games (internet)
Fatal Fury Special $65
Puzzled $50
BaseBall Stars 2 $70

From Lamagra:
Galaxy Fight
Last Blade
(I trade RBFF1 and FF3 for them, $70 originally Super Sellers)

Large Package From Kyle:
Art Of Fighting 3 $100 (came early)
King of Fighters 96
King of Fighters 98
Last Resort
Nam 1975
Sengoku
Street Hoop
Alpha Mission 2
ADK (gone now)

$500 total for all of the above (crazy deal!)

From Starland Videogames (local store):
2020 Super Baseball $30
Art Of Fighting $28
Art Of Fighting 2 $70 (worth every penny)
BaseBall Stars Professional $30
Blues Journey $30
Fatal Fury 2 $30
King of The Monsters $30
Ninja Combat $32
Riding Hero $30
Super Spy $35 (why??)

From Kevin Floyd:
League Bowling $20? (between $20 and $30)

From Steven Laisch
King of Fighters 99 $75

From Super Sellers:
Waku Waku 7 $235 (my most expensive used purchase)

I don't think I'm forgetting anything...

So, I dunno, around $2500 spent? (calculator uncerimoniously screwed up on me)

Now, I KNOW everybody can't find deals like this, but my point is, if you look hard enough you CAN find good games cheap.

I simply refused to pay more than I wanted to, and eventually all the games I wanted came to me.

Now as John said, if we simply IGNORE pricy resellers they'll go away, or be forced to sell their stock for what people want to pay, NOT what they say the game is "valued at".

Neo Geo is NOT as hot a commodity as we like to think. Many stores can't move Neo carts to save their lives. Check your local pawnshops and used toy stores. You might be surprised at what you find. Even if you bid with caution you can affect what the prices are on ebay. Take the copy of Ragnard/Shinoken that went for $160 recently, that's "supposed" to be a $300/$400 game, but since people were only willing to pay so much, it was cheap.

Pay what you want, not what you're told. Be patient and all will come to you.

I don't know if my "collecting" experience is similar to any you, but it would be interesting to see what some of you paid for these titles.

Thanks,
Billkwando
utngmlink.gif
http://www.undertheneogeomoon.com

[This message has been edited by Billkwando (edited October 03, 2000).]

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
That's great advice Bill. I try and tell people to avoid impulse purchases and be patient. (And towards the end of the neo home cart cycle, to buy all games brand new). It's hard for me to rationalize how people could pay $450 just a month or two after the release of MOTW just because they were too lazy to preorder it.

Some of the best deals I've gotten :

Waku Waku 7 $320 (doesn't beat your deal, but still
smile.gif
)
Last Blade 2 jap $80
Slug X jap $230
Slug 3 jap and MOTW US brand new (~$260-$280 each)
Last Resort $30
Windjammers (MINT!!) $85
KOF 98 $120
RB2 jap $120

Good things come to those who wait. The neo market is so flitty that there are always good deals to be had every once in a while.

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of people who get into the game and get out a couple months later... and then just get back into it again with a large purchase at market price. You have to be in it for the long haul to build up any sort of neo cart collection. Rapid buying and selling just justifies high prices to sellers. And when there are people around to pay, who can blame them?

John
geddon01@msn.com

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Hey I had a 3 cart deal from some guy a few years back I think around jan 99 for

Last Blade 2 US,
King of fighters 98 US and
samurai spirits 2 (which I sold on ebay for around $110)

for $500. I wonder who that was
smile.gif

Anway I have several good and bad deals

Bad (paying full price for whjet when it came out)

Good deal (all the carts I got at 50%-80% off when Babages was selling them of)

I had a log at one point but it has long since been lost I think, just a few reciepts from when I first got into the neo back in 93'

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
Originally posted by Geddon_jt:
That's great advice Bill. I try and tell people to avoid impulse purchases and be patient. (And towards the end of the neo home cart cycle, to buy all games brand new). It's hard for me to rationalize how people could pay $450 just a month or two after the release of MOTW just because they were too lazy to preorder it.

Some of the best deals I've gotten :

Waku Waku 7 $320 (doesn't beat your deal, but still
smile.gif
)
Last Blade 2 jap $80
Slug X jap $230
Slug 3 jap and MOTW US brand new (~$260-$280 each)
Last Resort $30
Windjammers (MINT!!) $85
KOF 98 $120
RB2 jap $120

Good things come to those who wait. The neo market is so flitty that there are always good deals to be had every once in a while.

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of people who get into the game and get out a couple months later... and then just get back into it again with a large purchase at market price. You have to be in it for the long haul to build up any sort of neo cart collection. Rapid buying and selling just justifies high prices to sellers. And when there are people around to pay, who can blame them?

John
geddon01@msn.com

Im green with jealousy, wish I could do that good. I just cant wait (and neither can most buyers).

Shawn

snkusa.com
I have had every deal you can think of, from paying well over the market value, to considerably under. Since I have honestly bought an average of 5 copies of every neo-geo home cart, over the last year, I have experienced a wide variety of prices. The good thing about this experience is that it gives me the capability of creating an exceptionally accurate price guide!

The overpriced:
The NGF carts that I bought directly from Chris or Dion.

Traded U.S. Metal Slug for Euro Ultimate 11.

I offered $1500 for Euro Aero Fighters 3 at one point, with no success. Even offered $200 just for a picture, still no luck.

Traded U.S. Last Blade 2 & Japanese Gowcaizer for U.S. Gowcaizer. This was a big loss, but I’m happy, the Gowcazier is like new.

The good deals:
I offered $1000 for U.S. Ninja Master’s for months, but ended up doing an even trade with my extra Jap NM.

Most collections that I acquire are accompanied with a generous discount.

Perfect mint English version Art of Fighting 3 for $180. Off of ebay! Seller didn’t mention if it was Jap or U.S. version.

That’s all I wish to comment on pertaining to good deals.

DIY

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Neobomberman gave me an amazing deal on FFS,KOF 96, and RBFF. all for 175! thanks! everything else I have i got for about 20-40(all older carts).

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I have had every deal you can think of, from paying well over the market value, to considerably under.

Wow, for the ones you paid "considerably under" for, did you charge "considerably under" what you usually charge for them?

Anybody else wanna share?

Thanks,
Billkwando
utngmlink.gif

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
I already made a half-post about this under another topic, but for the full story, here we go. Note that I'm only listing carts I still own; nothing I've just shipped of or am awaiting payment for:

Aero Fighters 2 $49 (new)
Ryuuko no Ken $30
Ryuuko no Ken 2 $10 (new)
Garou Densetsu $30
Garou Densetsu 2 $30
World Heroes $15.50
World Heroes 2 $30~35 (Euro)
World Heroes 2 Jet $35
Magical Drop 2 $93 (ninety-something at any rate)
Shin Samurai Spirits $200 (new)
Metal Slug 3 (new) $309
Raguy $42.50 (cardboard box)
King of the Monsters $37 (cardboard box)
Nam 1975 w/boxed system & mem card $258 (IF I've got the right exchange rate, from mid-'94)
The King of Fighters '94 $81
The King of Fighters '98 $15.55

On the way:
Sengoku 2 $38
Minasan no Okagesamadesu $28

Otherwise, I've had more great deals, and keep looking forward to more. My collection grows slowly thanks to this approach, but I value my money more than my games, and I get to appreciate them that much more the way I go about acquiring my carts. They'll always be around, so there's no need to buy them all at once.

The only other bit of advice I can offer, is come out of the shadows. Make a name for yourself, and make some contacts. You don't know how much you might one day value what others can offer you when it comes to the Neo·Geo.

HPMAN

UI resident
Here are some deals I got
smile.gif

SS1
SS2
FFS
KOF94
KOF95
KOF96
KOF97
KOF98
All japanese/mint, like new
=> for about $590 (didn't paid in $$$)
tongue.gif

FF3 jap NEW for about $65

Viewpoint US, mint, for about $20
redface.gif

2020 SB JAP, mint, for about $40

MS3 new for $350

Neo cart system (us) with 1 pad for about $55

Neo cart system (us) with 1 neo-cd pad, FF3 jap, AOF2 jap, s.sidekicks, AOF1, Mutation nation, FF1 (FF3 & AOF2 in good state, others in broken boxes/missing manuals) for about $110

Well, I think I managed to get some real good deals, what do you think about it ? This could have been worse...
tongue.gif

DIY

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I don't hate you! You could have sold them to some dip shit on eBay for $400!

Adol

The French Connection, ,
The overpriced:

Traded U.S. Metal Slug for Euro Ultimate 11.

that means my deal wasn't good?you know,i've done this for my friend,not for me,and you really wanted Ultimate 11

it's sad to see your opinion

Shawn

snkusa.com
Originally posted by Billkwando:
Wow, for the ones you paid "considerably under" for, did you charge "considerably under" what you usually charge for them?
Billkwando

I intentionally left the details of my bargain purchases as vague as possible to possibly avoid a personal attack from you. It always seems that you must have someone to attack, I would appreciate it if you would vent your frustration elsewhere. Dion, where are you?

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
>>>>>

Anybody else wanna share?

Thanks,
Billkwando
>>>>>

Give it a rest Bill.

If you went to sell that KOF 99 you paid $75 for, would you only ask $100 for it?

You'd be ripping yourself off. For what?

John
geddon01@msn.com

Shawn

snkusa.com
Adol,
Nowhere in my post did I say the trade with you was bad. I was stating that I overpaid, which is expected for the rarest of the rare. Even though I had to wait around 2 months for you to finally get the game from your friend. I also sent you full payment by cash and then your friend changed his mind and insisted on a Metal Slug. The purchase was very drawn out, as well as frustrating, but I wasn’t implying any of this in my post. I was still pleased to finally have a copy of Euro Ultimate 11.

There are no hard feelings, I am not upset. In fact, I airmailed you some goodies two days ago that you have been wanting for a very long time. The contents of the package are free to you, and so is the shipping. Even though you offered to pay for them, I consider you a fellow colleague in the world of neo collecting and selling.

Overpriced or Bargain deal, you decide:
Traded U.S. Metal Slug, which I bought for $1200, for Euro Ultimate 11, after sending over $800 in cash.

all with box and manual
Neo Geo(Jap version)+
2 joysticks+
memory card+
art of fighting 2+
fatal fury 2+
fatal fury Special+
fatal fury 3+
karnov's revenge+
samurai shodown 2+
Super Sidekicks 3+
Top Hunter+
World Heroes 2 Jet=
$305

Robi15

20 Year Member
Ok, here we go. If you don't belive me it's you'r problem...

I went to this little forgotten Toy Shop in some neighborhood after I got an tip that there could be Neo Geo games. While there she pulled up about 10 Games all new. Newer played. I got english Puzzled for 60 SEK (8 US Dollars). There was also another "Puzzled" but it did not have any insert so I offered 30 SEK (4 US dollar) for it and she sayd ok. She had no clue of what Neo Geo is/was and how rare these games where!
biggrin.gif

That's not enough. I allso bought:

Crossed Swords X 2 120 SEK (14 US)
Football Frenzy 60 SEK (7 US)
Eight Man 60 SEK (7 US)
Eight Man (no insert) 30 SEK(4 US)
League Bowling X 3 180SEK (21 US)
Blues Journey X 2 120SEK (14 US)

That was it. After that there remaind some Fatal Fury 1 games that she wanted 120 SEK each for. She thought cause they where fighting games the worth should be double up.
rolleyes.gif
I think they still have them.

Well yea. I quess it's once in a lifetime find..

Robi15

[This message has been edited by Robi15 (edited October 05, 2000).]

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I intentionally left the details of my bargain purchases as vague as possible to possibly avoid a personal attack from you. It always seems that you must have someone to attack, I would appreciate it if you would vent your frustration elsewhere. Dion, where are you?

What do you have a guilty conscience?

Get off my nuts unless you wanna have it out for real. It was a valid question. Are you ashamed of how you do deals? Unless you want to have an "in-depth" discussion about it, save your sarcasm for someone who cares. By the way, if you must think of it as an attack, I'd say it was a "business" attack, not a "personal" attack.

A personal attack would be, "Shawn McNutsack, you are a shitty capitalist pig who thinks everyone has his price".

Did I say that? No. I was simply inquiring about your practices. For the record, I don't "need" anyone to attack, and I've ALWAY addressed you the way I did in my previous post. Why drop the "good guy" act now?

Thanks,
Billkwando
utngmlink.gif

[This message has been edited by Billkwando (edited October 03, 2000).]

Shawn

snkusa.com
Bill, you are two-faced. That’s a fact. When posting on these forums, you have nothing good to say about neo-geo.com or me. Yet you ICQ me on a daily basis shooting the breeze in a friendly tone and asking if I’m mad at you. You have apologized to me numerous times on ICQ, but I don’t see you apologizing for your outbursts here on the forums.

Check your ICQ history, how often have I ICQ’d you first, if ever? I haven’t yet. And why would I? You’re two faced. In public, you bash this site and me then try to point the traffic in your direction. I’m fed up with you buttering up to me behind the scenes, only to get away with another spit in public.

It’s like you’re testing me, trying to get me into an argument. I’m not going to let you have what you want. You want a flame war, find someone else. I have better things to do. I don’t want to ban or delete you, because I’m totally against it.

However, I will add you to my ICQ ignore list. I realize that all your apologies were hollow, or else you wouldn’t continue attacking me in public. You can join the only other annoying and insulting fellow you have so very much in common with, Dion. I can do without people talking down to me, and I can do without your two-faced chatting.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Bull man, you basically just summed up why you're wrong.

I ask you REPEATEDLY on ICQ if my comments bother you and you say "no", yet in a public forum all of a sudden you have an attitude.

YES, I ask you if you're mad, because I think you're a nice guy as far as I can tell, and I've told you repeatedly that I'd stop haranguing you if it bothered you. If you feel the way you've said, it's either YOU who are two faced, or you need to check YOUR history.

Behold the undoctored message history:

Message Billkwando 9/15/00 12:16 PM I don't mean to be mean to you....I just
have to say what I feel......

I have to go to lunch I'll catch you in
20 minutes.

Message Billkwando 9/15/00 2:11 PM I thought you had all the unreleased
games anyway?

Message Shawn 9/15/00 2:40 PM i keep selling them. sold 3 more today.

sold the captain tomaday i just bought
as well.

i guess you could say i'm not a true
collector eh?

Message Billkwando 9/15/00 2:55 PM LOL you're a truly confusing fellow is
what you are.
wink.gif

Message Shawn 9/15/00 2:56 PM hey, i'm confused my self.

i don't know if i want to own the NGF
carts, or sell them. so i do both

Message Billkwando 9/15/00 2:57 PM so you're not mad at me?

probably should be I dunno....

Message Shawn 9/15/00 2:58 PM yes bill.
i'm very angry with you.

lol, no i'm fine.

Message Shawn 9/15/00 2:59 PM i consider you my conscience sometimes.

but i don't always listen to it

Message Billkwando 9/15/00 2:59 PM I don't mean to bust your balls, but
sometimes things you do make NOOOO sense
to me... I just want to help the
community....

Message Billkwando 9/15/00 2:59 PM LOL thanks I'm touched really.

such a nice compliment!

Message Shawn 9/15/00 3:00 PM then say how you feel about this at the
forums.

if you think what i'm doing is stupid,
may be it is. if i don't get my games
next week, then i'm an official retard

Message Shawn 9/15/00 3:00 PM or sucker

Message Billkwando 9/15/00 3:01 PM I already did, no wonder you're not mad
yet...... you will be...

Message Shawn 9/15/00 3:01 PM oh goody, i read it later. packing up
shipments for the post office. until i'm
finished moving, i only ship on
weekends.

Message Billkwando 9/15/00 3:04 PM lazy bastard =)

Message Billkwando 9/15/00 3:05 PM My post:

This is a f*cking joke.....

"Gee... these Nazis offered me a really
good deal on some gold fillings! Since
the price is right I guess I'll take
it...."
Credibility goes POOF, just when you'd
started to get some...... Too bad.
What a bad example to set for the
newcomers. "If at first you get jerked
around, buy, buy again!"
Thanks,
Billkwando

Message Shawn 9/15/00 3:06 PM that's pretty funny

Message Billkwando 9/15/00 3:07 PM I thought so

I've asked you REPEATEDLY if what I was saying bothered you and you said NO, and went on to call me your conscience. Is that the act of someone who's suddenly offended by my behavior?

Now, I could fight with you about this, but I have no personal prob with you. I've had issues with a couple things you've said in the past, but who's to say my opinion is right? We've been talking since June, and I make cracks here and there, and you always laugh it off, because you obviously see some measure of truth in what I'm saying. Now to go and call me two-faced is ill founded, when I tell you MYSELF that I'm ambivalent about your business practices, and you tell me to go ahead and state my opinion.

I THOUGHT there was enough room for both of our points of view, considering that I've never just attacked you for no reason or called you names, and you've always taken me with a grain of salt.

If you wanna say I was "testing" you, then I guess you were right, but if it was a test, you passed. As far as I can tell I like you, and I though I don't understand some of your values, I BELIEVE your comments to me were genuine and sincere. That is to say, as far as I can tell you're a pretty nice guy.

I do have a couple issues w/ your practices, but those issues are my own, and I'm very reluctant to dirty your name or try to put you down just because I and a fair amount of other people have a few probs with you (professionally), but since you obviously don't have the same prob (you appear to have some pretty nasty opinions about me, if you're so un-two-faced, why didn't you say them over ICQ?) I'll leave it up to you.

If you want to take to "moral high ground" and continue to claim that I've suddenly wronged you, feel free, but then I will be forced to counter the unsavory things you've said. As far as talking down to people, I'd say you've been doing more of that than I, but I'd give you the benefit of the doubt, as I do harangue you a fair bit, but always with your blessing, which you've suddenly forgotten.

I KNOW why you're attacking me now, and it has nothing to do with what I posted above.

If you wanna insult me openly (I've never done that to you) and claim that you know my motives, then I'll reluctantly but thoroughly tell everyone what I think of the way you do things (not your personality mind you, I DO like you, and I'd rather not have to fight) AND what I think YOUR motives are, and I don't think you'd like that at all.

I'm not the only one in the community that has probs with you, I'm just the only one who speaks out. If you want to welcome the commentary of every occupant of the peanut gallery, then feel free to open this debate, but I guarantee you'll wish you'd never started it.

Thanks,
Billkwando
utngmlink.gif

[This message has been edited by Billkwando (edited October 04, 2000).]

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
Originally posted by Robi15:
Ok, here we go. If you don't belive me it's you'r problem...

I went to this little forgotten Toy Shop in some neighborhood after I got an tip that there could be Neo Geo games. While there she pulled up about 10 Games all new. Newer played. I got english Puzzled for 60 SEK (8 US Dollars). There was also another "Buzzled" but it did not have any insert so I offered 30 SEK (4 US dollar) for it and she sayd ok. She had no clue of what Neo Geo is/was and how rare these games where!
biggrin.gif

That's not enough. I allso bought:

Crossed Swords X 2 120 SEK (14 US)
Football Frenzy 60 SEK (7 US)
Eight Man 60 SEK (7 US)
Eight Man (no insert) 30 SEK(4 US)
League Bowling X 3 180SEK (21 US)
Blues Journey X 2 120SEK (14 US)

That was it. After that there remaind some Fatal Fury 1 games that she wanted 120 SEK each for. She thought cause they where fighting games the worth should be double up.
rolleyes.gif
I think they still have them.

Well yea. I quess it's once in a lifetime find..

Robi15

[This message has been edited by Robi15 (edited October 03, 2000).]

And I spent $120 on 3 of those games
wink.gif

Robi15

20 Year Member
Actually one of them. The Soccerbrawl. The otherones are all long gone. Sold on ebay.
The "Puzzled" went for 180 US! I quess I never find such a deal again. Ok, I made money, but the real neat thing is that I found a lost Neo treasure! The "Buzzled" games where NEW! Never playd..

Well yeah..
cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Robi15 (edited October 05, 2000).]

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
Originally posted by Robi15:
Actually one of them. The Soccerbrawl. The otherones are all long gone. Sold on ebay.
The "Buzzled" went for 180 US! I quess I never find such a deal again. Ok, I made money, but the real neat thing is that I found a lost Neo treasure! The "Buzzled" games where NEW! Never playd..

Well yeah..
cool.gif

I would have bought more and paid more, if I had known you before. The Sweden thing made people pay less even that the going rates! Do you mean Puzzled?? Joy Joy Kid?

asam79

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Well, some of you guys got a good deal.
Especially you, Bill.

I paid most of my home carts in between low high on Shawn's price guide. Mostly just fair price.

None of my deal are a very damn good deal so far. (even I bought 20 carts at once; still just fair deal)
But has some overpriced cart:
near mint Jpn Sengoku 2 for $180

My best deal so far it's only:
Mint Jpn Last blade 2 for $275.
When people selling about $375 for LB 2, I got it for $275 from a very fair seller.

[This message has been edited by asam79 (edited October 04, 2000).]