Bizzare MVS problem with Double Dragon cart

Play2win

n00b
Well this is strange; I'm new to MVS but I wasn't expecting this. I have a 4 slot MVS cab that I wanted to fill with the four Technos/DD NeoGeo games- Super Doge Ball, Voltage Fighter, Rage of the Dragons, & Double Dragon. Whenever I boot the machine with Double Dragon inserted with the other three games, seemingly regardless of what slot it's in, it completely kills the sound on all games when I hit the "select game" button on the cabinet. However, when I boot the board without Double Dragon inserted, or any other MVS game I've tried inserting in it's place, I experience no problems whatsoever. I thought it was a bad cartridge so I purchased a replacement Double Dragon cart from a more reliable source (a trader here on the boards) and experienced the exact same problem. Any ideas on what's causing this and whether it's fixable? Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
This kind of problem happens pretty often. Rearrange what slots the games are in, and clear the backup RAM on the board for good measure. It might help, but otherwise I would just try to live with it and work around it. I have all legit games, and some of them just don't like each other.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
This one I'll never forget(same problem)

From my experience Double Dragon ,just doesn't work well with several other carts..

I had a hard time with it,getting it to work with other games in a 4 slot mobo

Try changing the cart line-up,even leaving out one cart at a time..(go Double Dragon+1 cart,2,3
..Double Dragon will find one cart out of the 4 that it won't like and kill the sound.
Change that cart and it may work..

I didn't like the line-up that I had to do just to have this cart in th 4 slot so...I had to put it in a two slot just to have it in a cab..

One thing I never tried was to clear the back up ram..that may fix the problem..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Neo Alec said:
This kind of problem happens pretty often. Rearrange what slots the games are in, and clear the the backup RAM on the board for good measure. It might help, but otherwise I would just try to live with it and work around it. I have all legit games, and some of them just don't like each other.

:buttrock:

Play2win

n00b
Thanks for the advice! I'm still pretty new at all this and I'm not even sure how to clear the Ram but I can probably find the documentation. One alternative I considered was to purchase a single slot "dedicated' neo geo double dragon cabinet (from what I can gather, it's a single slot cab with a unique double dragon marquee on top), but that would obviously be a more expensive solution then just getting it to work in the 4- slot cab...

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Play2win said:
Thanks for the advice! I'm still pretty new at all this and I'm not even sure how to clear the Ram but I can probably find the documentation. One alternative I considered was to purchase a single slot "dedicated' neo geo double dragon cabinet (from what I can gather, it's a single slot cab with a unique double dragon marquee on top), but that would obviously be a more expensive solution then just getting it to work in the 4- slot cab...
Flip the first dip switch (test switch) on the board before you turn on the system to bring up the options. Choose Hardware Test and press start until you get to the screen for backup clear.