Need help with audio on mv1-c

jeffslot

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Hi guys,

I'm a regular over at benheck.com. I've been quite busy making a neo geo portable device, similar (but not quite as fancy) as the one that ben heck made. I've got everything complete, but I'm not getting any audio.

I've got a psone speaker hooked up to my speaker + & speaker -. Awhile back I had traded a few pm with ben, in which he told me I didn't need to supply the 12v for such a small speaker. So I'm not supplying the 12v for the speaker.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Jeff S

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
jeffslot said:
Hi guys,

I'm a regular over at benheck.com. I've been quite busy making a neo geo portable device, similar (but not quite as fancy) as the one that ben heck made. I've got everything complete, but I'm not getting any audio.

I've got a psone speaker hooked up to my speaker + & speaker -. Awhile back I had traded a few pm with ben, in which he told me I didn't need to supply the 12v for such a small speaker. So I'm not supplying the 12v for the speaker.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Jeff S

You have to take the signal from the chip and not the edge and cut 2 traces for it to work with +5v only.

Cut Here:
mv1ctraceswy2.jpg

Tap Here:
mv1cstereolf3.jpg

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
you can not get sound from the jamma if you do not give it 12v.

you need to get your audio from the headphone jack

or what he just posted

jeffslot

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Ok,

1) Cut the two Traces
2) Connect wires to those two IC pins
3) Where does the other end of the above two wires go? To the Psone speaker then (one to neg & one to pos)?

(I'll post pics of my completed portable, once I get this sound issue fixed.)

Thanks guys.

Jeff S

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
jeffslot said:
Ok,

1) Cut the two Traces
2) Connect wires to those two IC pins
3) Where does the other end of the above two wires go? To the Psone speaker then (one to neg & one to pos)?

(I'll post pics of my completed portable, once I get this sound issue fixed.)

Thanks guys.

Jeff S

If they are outputing the left and right audio signals at line level they should be connected to the audio input so the volume would be controlable. If you connect them directly to the speakers you might no be able to change the audio level.

jeffslot

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I'm still not sure I understand completely.

Is one of the wires (from the IC) supposed to go to the right speaker & one to the left speaker? I guess I'm not sure where each wire connected from the IC is supposed to go? Sorry for being so clueless with this.

Jeff

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
jeffslot said:
I'm still not sure I understand completely.

Is one of the wires (from the IC) supposed to go to the right speaker & one to the left speaker? I guess I'm not sure where each wire connected from the IC is supposed to go? Sorry for being so clueless with this.

Jeff

The wire from Pin 1 is to the left and wire from pin 4 is to the right.

jeffslot

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Ok, I'm hoping my last question is, does it matter where I put the negative from the each speaker then? Will any ground be good? Thanks again you have been so super helpfull. I've already cut the traces & wired up the left & right wire. Thanks

Also I know ben mentioned removing the audio amp, Is that something that I have to do also? Thanks.

Jeff S.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
jeffslot said:
Ok, I'm hoping my last question is, does it matter where I put the negative from the each speaker then? Will any ground be good? Thanks again you have been so super helpfull. I've already cut the traces & wired up the left & right wire. Thanks

Jeff S.

Try to keep your ground for video different from the audio ground as sometimes the audio can create interference on the video.

As far as the audio amp you should remove since it;s not being used and never will be. plus it saves space.

jeffslot

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Ok, I'll try this. I'm not sure if you saw my question about the audio amp? I know ben mentioned removing his, is this something that I have to do? Thanks again.

Jeff

jeffslot

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Hello, Still no luck. Here is what I've done concerning the audio. Maybe someone else's eyes can see the issue. Thanks for looking.

Jeff

Left & Right Audio signal & removed Audio Amp

Working Video

Cut Traces

SOlder Blob covering Headphone Connects

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The traces need to be cut better.

Why is there only 3 buttons?

The audio L and R on the board, is that an output or input?

jeffslot

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Xian Xi,

Thanks so much for your help to this point. You have been really helpfull. I haven't had any success with the audio yet, but I'm going to keep trying until I get it. I think I'm going to start unsoldering some more stuff & better label/organize it. Hopefully that will ensure I've got everything hooked up right. This will probably take me a couple of days. I'll keep you posted to let you know how it is going. Thanks again.

Jeff

(Oh, yeah. I though that ben had only used 3 buttons, do most games use a 4th button? It isn't a big deal for me to add another one in.)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
jeffslot said:
Xian Xi,

Thanks so much for your help to this point. You have been really helpfull. I haven't had any success with the audio yet, but I'm going to keep trying until I get it. I think I'm going to start unsoldering some more stuff & better label/organize it. Hopefully that will ensure I've got everything hooked up right. This will probably take me a couple of days. I'll keep you posted to let you know how it is going. Thanks again.

Jeff

(Oh, yeah. I though that ben had only used 3 buttons, do most games use a 4th button? It isn't a big deal for me to add another one in.)

There's a bunch that use the 4th button. I'd put it in just in case.