KOFXII confirmed for PS3 and Xbox 360, and...

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
From Kotaku...
Back in 2006, SNK's Overseas Marketing Manager Yoshihito Koyama told me that the Osaka-based developer thought a "good time" to release a PS3 game was 2009-10. SNK confirmed that King of Fighters XII would be hitting North America on the PLAYSTATION 3 and the Xbox 360 in early 2009. The last non-spinoff entry in the series was KOF XI in 2005, and the upcoming game is a 3D fighter that is shaded to look 2D. Koyama described it as "3D mixed with 2D." Before that, the title will be rolled in its Japanese arcade version in late 2009. Looking forward to seeing how SNK combines this.
So there you have it. Cel-shaded (or a rough equivalent) 2.5D. Let the incessant whining and complaining that it sucks without ever playing it begin.

Come on, you know you want to.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm not saying that it's going to suck... ...I just don't like cel-shading (if that is what they're going to implement) at all.

Ah well, who cares, if the new KoF is only half as good as people make it out to be, we're in for a real fighter treat.

Deuce

I'm a little curious about the cel-shading notion, myself. Might not be "true" cel-shading, at least not in the sense that people tend to think... ie. Wind Waker. I've seen it done with more of a textured look. If they could pull off a method that looked more like the old sprites, that could actually be pretty neat.

Honestly, I'm not extremely surprised... I was thinking they might do a higher-res redraw with a bunch of rotoscoping from the MI games.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Doesn't that kill the phrase "The Ultimate 2D fighter" SNKP has been throwing around with the game? I'm all about evolution in gaming, but why not go that route with another MI game? It could still be interesting, but I dont see a game thats been in production this long see release in another year, year and a half. Also it says the game will be released early 2009 on PS3/360 but "Before that, late 2009 in Arcades" Maybe they mean 2008...even then that seems too long of a way off for the arcade release. That quote doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

Last edited:

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
They could do a cell shading more similar to the Crackdown approach than to Jet Set Radio.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

My reactions:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y1rBBAFeO80
Watch at the :20, 1:11 and 2:13 marks.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZElCeE1C_YY
First 8 seconds.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4e5f8JgPmqw
Watch at the 9:07 mark.

But seriously, this news doesn't sound too good. At first, I thought the news referred to KOF MI R.A. 2, but I guess I was wrong.
Best case scenario: It turns out to be as good as Project Justice.
Worst case scenario: It turns out to be far worse than KOF '01 and MI combined.

I'm sure the reason why it's taking so long is because they're either focusing on games us forum runners don't give a damn about (read: Doki Doki Maho Shinpan 2 (sp?), numerous cell phone and pachislot games), or working on compilations that a more competent programming staff would've churned out by now.

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
It has potential to be good since the game will still be played on a 2D plane and will hopefully have a static camera (aside from panning left and right of course and possibly some zooming in/scaling on DM's like in SF3 if they wanted to do that). Maybe only the characters will be 3D and not the backgrounds... I keep picturing it like The Rumble Fish, even though that's not 3D... Hopefully it won't have any BS side-stepping with a rotating camera.

Still though, I'm kinda hoping that this is just misinformation or a hoax or something...

It'll take a lot for this to work right.

Last edited:

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
The haruhi suzumiya psp game is all 3D yet looks incredibly 2D.

I'm guessingthis is the approach SNKP is taking.

kanakura

Fio's Quartermaster
this is only rumor, SNK Playmore did'nt release any info to this game...:loco:

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
taitai said:
The haruhi suzumiya psp game is all 3D yet looks incredibly 2D.

I'm guessingthis is the approach SNKP is taking.

I decided to run a search on Haruhi Suzu---whatever on Google and all I got was hentai...

Lots and lots of hentai...

:drool:

But seriously, I can't find any screenshots of the stupid game, just a lot of abstract, convoluted otaku crap and forums whose users spew said otaku crap.

Last edited:

Hakkai

Dodgeball Yakuza
15 Year Member
I guess I'm halfway excited to see how this game turns out then if it does go that route. I wonder if that means that the sprites/BG's can't be ripped.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
It's hard to make a judgment just yet, but I'm skeptical for sure. I'll wait until there is actually a screen shot before deciding.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Soniku said:
I decided to run a search on Haruhi Suzu---whatever on Google and all I got was hentai...

Lots and lots of hentai...

:drool:

But seriously, I can't find any screenshots of the stupid game, just a lot of abstract, convoluted otaku crap and forums whose users spew said otaku crap.
Suzumiya Haruhi no yakusoku from Bandai Namco Games. Unfortunately, the movies section is not yet active, and most of the screenshots are of the "event scenes" rather than the mid-play animations / mini-game stuff you're looking for.

--Chris

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
Dash no Chris said:
Suzumiya Haruhi no yakusoku from Bandai Namco Games. Unfortunately, the movies section is not yet active, and most of the screenshots are of the "event scenes" rather than the mid-play animations / mini-game stuff you're looking for.

--Chris

Whoops. I was under the impression the event scenes were in-game graphics.

Deuce

not sonic said:
this will suck ass.

kof is over.
It took thirteen posts for someone to say this? You guys are losing your touch.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Gutted.

Edit : 3D games trying to be 2D are always too slow.

Edit : If there gonna do it i would prefer a Viewtiful Joe/Killer 7 style more than a anime style.

Edit : Rumble Fish? I just hope it isn't Max Impact.

Last edited:

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
I am happy it was confirmed, but if it looks anything like Viewtiful Joe or XIII I am done with the series. I would love to see a pretty cell shaded game, but as of yet I am FAR from impressed.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
SNKP are cack, what do you expect? they are cack. cack. Falcoon is a fat cack of a man.
:dragb: :spock:

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i want to know why this info was known as early as late 06, and it just surfaced now.

also theres no credible source or anything.

id say this is pretty bullshit or a misunderstanding till we see some real evidence.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
You know, when I read this post my first reaction was

FUCK FUCK FUCKITY FUCK FUCK!

But then, I thought to myself, this could work. What if it IS cool? Keep everything on a 2D plain, bring all the characters in, have the same system... with a high enough polygon count, this could end up being pretty badass still. I love the quality that 2D gives, but 3D, at high enough polys could end up being pretty neat, if done right. If it weren't for Viewtiful Joe, I wouldn't have this opinion, but that series did the 3D on a 2D plane well, so let's just wait and see.

With that said, I was dying... DYING to see what high res 2D kof sprites looked like.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
If they're thinking PS3 and 360 in 2009 its gonna have to look damn good! B

By that time the 360 and PS3 will be pushing out some stunning looking stuff.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I like this news myself. SNKP's biggest sin has been recycling sprites and animations from older SNK games and selling it as new. At this point, having them make a game from the ground up is encouraging even if it fails on them.

Now, if only they could give the KOF series a rest for a few years and make a brand new 2D fighter from the ground up. Either that, or a sequel that isn't KOF/SS (Last Blade, Fatal Fury, Fuun, etc).

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
people forget that SNKP don't know how to make decent games or decent characters anymore. Falcoon fucked things up proper. MI? fucking l.o.l.!
if it where any other company thinking of doing such a thing it'd be interesting at least as a notion of what could arise. but this is Playmore and I don't trust them to pull off jack shit. so when the game drops in a few years (lol 2009), check out this stupid post and agree with me. chau.