MV-1 Power Requirements?

Does anybody have/know the actual power requirements for the MV-1 PCB. I'm not looking for "an old computer power supply will work," I'm looking for actual amperage requirements. Now I understand that the 12V is for the sound, is that for the speaker outputs and the headphone outputs, or do the headphone outputs run off the 5V? Thanks in advance.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The headphone outs are before the audio amp (after the op-amps) so you can rig the board to run without 12 volts.

Depending on the type of one slot 3 or 4 amps for the 5 volts and less than 1 amp for the 12 volts.

C

clap78

I have done some measures on my MV-1F slot.
I found 1.33 A on the +5V.
and 0.6A peak with a 4ohms speaker and speaker volume at 3/4 max on the +12V.

The +12V is not necessary if you only use the headphone output.

Measures on:

Blazing Star cart=1.33 A
Metal Slug X cart=1.29A

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
The manuals will say 3-5 amps depending on the version of board. The current draw is an estimate as the draw will vary depending on the cartridge inserted at the time of measurement. (Different carts have different quantities and types of IC in them, hence different current draws)

RJ

danUK

New Challenger
i think the manuals state such a high current draw due to mobo having to drive cab speakers etc

for consolising, 1 slots don't use much amperage at all

i've tested MV-1, MV1C, MV1-FZ, and maybe some others, but none of them went above 1.5A on the 5v side, i tried this with a couple of different carts, both sticks plugged in and loaded with all buttons depressed etc

i've successfully powered 1 slots using 2A power supplies on the 5v side

if you can run the board on 5v only, then i can highly recommend the sony psp power supply, lovely compact unit

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
If the board idles at say 1.5 amps you would ideally need headroom of at least an amp imho (making 2.5A min), otherwise you may get intermittent reset problems depending on the cart inserted..

The "headroom" is important, thats why arcade psus are designed to supply typically 15 amps. edit- you hardly ever see boardsets draw more than 5 amps, a MVH6 draws 5, the NG64 would draw more.

Last edited: