SNK Playmore Announces September Release for Virtual Console NEO GEO Games

RyanDG

n00b
900 Wii Points, no online play mentioned in the press release.

Fatal Fury (September 11th)
World Heroes (September - tentative)
Magician Lord (September - tentative)

These games are all planned only on the Japanese Wii Virtual Console at this time. Potential American releases have not yet been revealed.

Last edited:

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
took long enough... well at least the Wii is getting them... but @ $9 bucks each? hmmm I dunno bout that. I think I'll stick to the CDs, MVS and AES carts. Its cool that people will at least get to know what the hell a Neo-Geo is now since everyone and thier dog owns a Wii system. ^^

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
$9 isn't even an amazing price for an MVS cart of Magician Lord, Fatal Fury or World Heroes.

If they make it to later games with that same price, then they'll have something to talk about.

ObeyGeo

Crazed MVS Addict
For a number of reasons the VC will probably never get ROMS that were over 200 megabits in size. Although there is enough memory to probably store one or two 700 megabit games, I'm not exactly sure how much space the Wii has - plus it compresses stuff a lot.

It will be nice to see the NG logo mixed in with all the other systems on my Wii's main page.

Aww you shoulda said it was Japan only >.< (just read OPs blog)

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
$9 isn't even an amazing price for an MVS cart of Magician Lord, Fatal Fury or World Heroes.

HERE

Nowhere else, only HERE.

$9 is an amazing, fantastic, mindblowing price for a game that is only available on a long dead system that costs $150, or a long dead Arcade Board that costs $150 for the motherboard alone, or a long dead CD System that costs $90.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
butta said:
Without online play, that price is outrageous.

Without another means to play an old favorite like Magician Lord for someone who doesn't care about the 120 Fighting games also released for Neo Systems, the price is a STEAL.

RyanDG

n00b
ObeyGeo said:
Aww you shoulda said it was Japan only >.< (just read OPs blog)

Yeah, that's my bad. I've updated it now in the original post to show that it was Japan only at this time.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
DARK ANDY said:
Without another means to play an old favorite like Magician Lord for someone who doesn't care about the 120 Fighting games also released for Neo Systems, the price is a STEAL.
Whatever. Knock yourself out, chief. I think someone dying to play Magician Lord probably DOES already have some other means of playing the game -- emulated, if nothing else -- but you go ahead and cling to your half-baked rationalizations.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
DARK ANDY said:
$9 is an amazing, fantastic, mindblowing price for a game that is only available on a long dead system that costs $150, or a long dead Arcade Board that costs $150 for the motherboard alone, or a long dead CD System that costs $90.
Seriously. Fatal Fury on MVS, AES, and especially CD is more than $9. World Heroes, maybe not so much as Fatal Fury but still more expensive due to shipping ... and if you see a Magician Lord MVS cart for $9, send it my way, because I sure haven't been able to find one that cheap.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
butta said:
Without online play, that price is outrageous.

i have to agree,
but nintendo is the king of remaking games over and over and over again.
but who are we kidding, i think we all seen that nintendo was and never
would embrace online play from the get go.

FF Special next week on XBLA!!!!!! That shit will be cool because it'll be online. WII and it's virtual console is a peice of shit.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
ObeyGeo said:
For a number of reasons the VC will probably never get ROMS that were over 200 megabits in size. Although there is enough memory to probably store one or two 700 megabit games, I'm not exactly sure how much space the Wii has - plus it compresses stuff a lot.

Megabit not Megabyte.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
ObeyGeo said:
What exactly are you correcting?

Megabits dont take up as much space as a megabyte. 700 megabits is only 875kb, if the Wii cant store that little of data thats just sad.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
Whatever. Knock yourself out, chief. I think someone dying to play Magician Lord probably DOES already have some other means of playing the game -- emulated, if nothing else -- but you go ahead and cling to your half-baked rationalizations.

Ah, to be elitist and so ignorant to boot, must be heaven being blind.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
Megabits dont take up as much space as a megabyte. 700 megabits is only 875kb, if the Wii cant store that little of data thats just sad.

your math is off.

700 megabits is 88 megabytes.

wii has 256 megabytes of storage (i think..)

im not sure how it relates to free blocks though.

but its a ton compared to nes/snes/genny/tg rom sizes. n64 games are pretty big but i think they max out at 256 megabits. thats where the neo is just getting started.

ObeyGeo

Crazed MVS Addict
Xian Xi said:

This isn't the EXACT Wii math, but basically, the Wii gives you approximately 2000 or so "blocks" of memory. It's a Nintendo term, "Blocks", not a comp-sci term. A game like Sonic The Hedgehog for Genesis takes up approximately 50 "blocks". Sonic is about an 8 megabit game. Now there's also some kind of memory compression going on to squeeze as many games as you can into that 2000 blocks. Often the Wii claims a game is 102 blocks and it only uses up 55.

But at the end of the day, you could maaaybe fit 2-3 708 megabit carts into those 2000 "blocks" of Virtual Console space, that'd be approx 150-250 megabytes. I doubt they are ever gonna let you put VC games on removable storage for obvious (C) reasons. However we should see a dozen or so of the 50-100 megabit carts get on the VC over the next year! Probably all the sports games, which would be awesome imo!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
not sonic said:
your math is off.

700 megabits is 88 megabytes.

wii has 256 megabytes of storage (i think..)

im not sure how it relates to free blocks though.

but its a ton compared to nes/snes/genny/tg rom sizes. n64 games are pretty big but i think they max out at 256 megabits. thats where the neo is just getting started.

Your math is off bud.

700 megabits = 7,000,000 bits
1,000,000 bits = 125,000 bytes x 7 = 875,000 bytes = 875kb.
8 bits per byte.

Edit: ya you were right, I dont know how I missed the 700, I was thingking of 7 for some reason.

So it should be:
700 megabits = 700,000,000 bits
1,000,000 bits = 125,000 bytes x 700 = 87,500,000 bytes = 875,000kb. So ya basically 87.5mb hahaha

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
uhh, why would Magician Lord need to be online to begin with?

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
SamuraiShodownSensei said:
uhh, why would Magician Lord need to be online to begin with?

Ask them, they're the ones bitching about that, and the extremely low price.