Mrs. Pac Man Cocktail table Issues.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I picked this up today,..with the thought that it wasn't working..Upon powering it up it had a garbled screen..
I bought it in the thought that it was Dead...with the intent of restoring it fully and making it really nice...Whatever it takes..
Was $300.00,got it for $200.00

Now I'm not good with fixing this stuff,I know MVS..but I'm no digi meter expert nor monitor expert..

I got the cab home.cleaned it up.all the bulbs work,fan,sound..it looks fully intact inside..
The monitor didn't come up at first but I could hear the game playing upon starting it..all that works.
Then Bam I see the game on screen..The monitor has bad burn in but the colors look ok..you can't see the burn in with the shaded coover on.

The problem is..The map is not lined up right,it's too small..I tried to adjust some of the adjustment on the monitor but it doesn't help...some of the pots are real touchy..

Some of the map is not lining up with Mrs. Pac Man ..The top part she can go through fine but when you get to the bottom she goes on top of the walls and dissapears at times..
Also she gets smaller on the left side of the screen and bigger on the right..

I've had the cab on all day and played it like that..but it needs to be fixed..

Where do I look first.?

Fleaspt2607.jpg

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
looks awesome! congrats on the purchase. Sorry it's not working. I don't know about garbled graphics...sounds like a board issue to me, but I am just guessing. I could be way off...

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
It's a board issue. Lots of jellybean 74 series logic chips. Time to buy a logic probe ;)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
NGT said:
looks awesome! congrats on the purchase. Sorry it's not working. I don't know about garbled graphics...sounds like a board issue to me, but I am just guessing. I could be way off...

Thanks bro..

channelmaniac said:
It's a board issue. Lots of jellybean 74 series logic chips. Time to buy a logic probe ;)

Tomorrow I'm going to take a video of what it does..and post it up..

................and if I sent you this board,could you fix it..?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
chris1 said:
Also she gets smaller on the left side of the screen and bigger on the right..

Fleaspt2607.jpg

Good buy for $200.

As well as the apparent board problem sounds like the monitor has a vertical linearity problem, a cap kit would probably fix this.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
chris1 said:
Thanks bro..

Tomorrow I'm going to take a video of what it does..and post it up..

................and if I sent you this board,could you fix it..?

Not yet.

I have 3 games in the shop to sell before I'll have room in the shop to bring my Pac Man cab out of storage for rework. I'd need it in there to test your board as I don't have a test jig for it.

RJ

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Logic Probe..
Can you show me something simple that I can use..

Is this something the casual person actually can use-understand..?

Now,what I be probing..?.....

Just wondering if I should try and find a board with no socketed rom chips on it and switch mine to it ......or is that the problem-the socketed chips?

Am I going to need another board after I find out what's wrong with it after probing it?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Searching for all-any-different options to fix this machine..

Wondring if I could put something in it like this.
Arcade MS PACMAN TO JAMMA Board Adaptor
http://item.express.ebay.com/Arcade...oard-Adaptor-Video-game_W0QQitemZ150149066137

Then buy one of those Multi Jamma Boards with Ms Pac man on it.

With the Monitor:
Would this fit.
http://www.betson.com/products/JCM-44-4519-02
JCM - TOVIS 19" CGA MONITOR
I want to put a new monitor in it anyway...

To be honest,If I could just pack the machine up and bring it to someone to fix I'd do it..

Edit;
Added:

I just binned a used working MS Pac Man board...

What should my power supply read as I want to check it before installing this board.

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Just plug it in. The power supply is on the board itself and the transformer hooks directly to it.

That monitor will work with the game. The bigger question is "will it fit in the tabletop cabinet?" and that I don't know.

PM me with a price if you want to sell the old board.

Too bad you aren't in the Dallas area. I'd look at it for you if you were.

RJ

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
Searching for all-any-different options to fix this machine..

Wondring if I could put something in it like this.
Arcade MS PACMAN TO JAMMA Board Adaptor
http://item.express.ebay.com/Arcade...oard-Adaptor-Video-game_W0QQitemZ150149066137

Then buy one of those Multi Jamma Boards with Ms Pac man on it.

With the Monitor:
Would this fit.
http://www.betson.com/products/JCM-44-4519-02
JCM - TOVIS 19" CGA MONITOR
I want to put a new monitor in it anyway...

To be honest,If I could just pack the machine up and bring it to someone to fix I'd do it..

Edit;
Added:

I just binned a used working MS Pac Man board...

What should my power supply read as I want to check it before installing this board.

Dont get that adapter without changing out your power supply they run on dc and most modern games run on ac or I could have it backwards.

To bad you bought that board I just fixed one (theres a thread here somewhere).

Im jealous about the score id rather have a table than my mini cabinet.
Me I swapped out a turbo minis monitor for my machine it looks brand new.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
That adapter has a voltage regulator on it. Looks like it's 5v only though.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
channelmaniac said:
That adapter has a voltage regulator on it. Looks like it's 5v only though.

oh I didnt look at all the pics, it works for them....
Dont know if I'd leave stuff plugged into it indefentially
That white block should do it (convert power) whatever its called

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
channelmaniac said:
Just plug it in. The power supply is on the board itself and the transformer hooks directly to it.

Thanks.
That monitor will work with the game. The bigger question is "will it fit in the tabletop cabinet?" and that I don't know.

I'm hoping it will....

Betsons has no info on it at the site,now there is a betsons that I go to for pinball parts so when I get the loot i'll just go pick it up and look at it first..

Seaching out info on the monitor I found this..
http://www.gamehourz.com/monitor-deal-replace-midway-GO7-pacman-monitor-ftopict183567.html

PM me with a price if you want to sell the old board.

If the used board I binned today works,yes I will be looking to sell the old board..
The guy was very nice,out of NY..he has positives for oth Ms Pac Man boards so I hope this works out..
I almost binned his 4 in 1 Ms Pac Man-Pac man board....It was more money but I wanted to just get what I need right now instead of going that route..
Plus I don't know what changing jumpers means.
The guy also does repairs too..

Now with a board coming I'm hoping it'll pop in and work...In regard to atleast not doing what he old board does.
I can live with the screen being smaller as long as the board works right..(until I get the new monitor..

Right now ms pac man seems to be hitting an edge in the middle of the screen..

I still need to figure out what the voltage should read from the power supply in these cab...are they 5V+?

Too bad you aren't in the Dallas area. I'd look at it for you if you were.

RJ

Yes,I do wish were lived closer..

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
It's a fixed regulator on the board itself. You shouldn't have to mess with it unless the board is dead.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
I still need to figure out what the voltage should read from the power supply in these cab...are they 5V+?

With a switching power supply, (I dont think yours has this) the board needs about 5.3 volts, at least mine do or they dont work right. With the stock power supply I think it is what you have, it is what it is and you cant adjust it. I dont think. Its just a big paper transformer that has the voltages that you need come out of. I have a couple year old thread about a ms pac man mini I restored:
Ms Pac mini
Op nevermind you saw it, you posted in the thread.

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I got my Ms Pac Man Board today..It's really a Pac Man board with what I think are two socket-ed chips that say Ms Pac Man..
Now I wonder if I had got those chips in Pac Man would I be able to pop them in and play that too..
The board is slightly different then my board.
Where I have two attached daughter boards the new board has just chips in which one looks like a Z80(looks more simplified)

I pop it in and it works....The game is fully playable..I'm so happy about this.

Now I asked te guy to install the slow Ms pac man chip(offered)instead of the fast Ms pac man..
But my old board must have the fast chip in it as Ms pac man is much faster.
Now I wanted it slow but I'd love to know what chip it is if I felt like changing it myself.

I unplugged the fan as it needs oil..I may replace it or oil it..

I took out all the fuses one by one,cleaned them and their holders..Did continuity tests..

Again:
The game is fully playable......But still somewhat smaller in size on the monitor....(I want it perfect)
it's a GO7 monitor with an RCA tube
I'd like to do the cap kit on it..Wondering what do I need to do it(tools)
How any caps will it be?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
In the thread I made about repairing a MS PacMan we talk about the hack so you dont need a daughterboard. Ms pac Man is Pacman with differentchips, an upgrade if you will.

You should be able to strech out the picture on your monitor.

I prefer the faster Ms PacMan. I think the chip is 6f off the top of my head.

You know whats a good websight about PAC stuff is the Real Bob Roberts Homepage. Stuff to buy, repairing info ect.

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Xavier said:
In the thread I made about repairing a MS PacMan we talk about the hack so you dont need a daughterboard. Ms pac Man is Pacman with differentchips, an upgrade if you will.

You should be able to strech out the picture on your monitor.

I prefer the faster Ms PacMan. I think the chip is 6f off the top of my head.

You know whats a good websight about PAC stuff is the Real Bob Roberts Homepage. Stuff to buy, repairing info ect.

Thank you..

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
BTW: Unless that fan has a spot for oil you don't oil them. You simply replace them as they have sealed bearings and once they start making noise they are well on their way to needing replacing.

RJ

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
channelmaniac said:
BTW: Unless that fan has a spot for oil you don't oil them. You simply replace them as they have sealed bearings and once they start making noise they are well on their way to needing replacing.

RJ

thank you..

*what I'd like to do is have it on free play..but the attract screen still work..If I switch the dip to free play the screen just stays null until I start game..

I put castors on the Ms Pac Man then decided to mess with the monitor adjustments again..
..turned one pot on the back"BAM!!" the map,ms pac man-ghosts Screen got huge..Whoa=thought to myself I really messed it up now.

Kept messing with two pots and finally it got to where it's supposed to be and it's staying like that-turn it off,back on and it's the same.

So I finally got the monitor adjusted..

now the machine is like it's suppsed to be,....Now too fancy it up,corner protectors,new glass etc.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Sweet!

Glad to hear you have it running nicely.

I have a Pole Position II game here that I had to put a credit switch on. If you put it on free play it constantly starts a new game, times out, and starts another one... It's a pain and it results in horrible screen burn on that game.

RJ

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
thank you..

*what I'd like to do is have it on free play..but the attract screen still work..If I switch the dip to free play the screen just stays null until I start game..

1/2 the time what I do is leave the coin door unlocked and flip the coin lever at start up and give myself 20 credits then close it again.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
channelmaniac said:
Sweet!

Glad to hear you have it running nicely.

I have a Pole Position II game here that I had to put a credit switch on. If you put it on free play it constantly starts a new game, times out, and starts another one... It's a pain and it results in horrible screen burn on that game.

RJ

Thanks,thanks..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Xavier said:
1/2 the time what I do is leave the coin door unlocked and flip the coin lever at start up and give myself 20 credits then close it again.

Yea,me too...My Son does this too...He'll put like 20 credits on it via the coin switch and te,, me.."Dad,I have 20 games to play"

Last edited: