question about eprom programmers

Pas

Camel Slug
I have been looking for a good eprom programmer (see this thread). I have found two that I think will work for my needs. I was wondering if anyone had experience or ideas about which would be better and why...one is much cheaper (expecialy if you go the ebay route)...but Im new to this so dont know much...I used programmers years ago when I was in collage but never had to buy one so I dont really know which to choose. Thanks. here are the two...also if you have other suggestions let me know.

Unimax
TOP2048

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
IMO the one from mcumall is probably your best bet. It can support upto 48 pin chips without the need for any mods or aftermarket equipment.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I bought one from mcumall and cant get it to do squat.
I worte the lady and she said I needed a power supply then I got one and she stopped responding to me.

I bought one on ebay from this websight and Its paid for itself but it cant do 48 pins www.ustr.net .

Pas

Camel Slug
Ok another noobish question. When I was in school we had eprom eraser units. But basicaly from what I understood they were just black lights on a timer. Would it work just as well to use a blacklight for 15-20min or do I really need to buy one of these eraser units?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Willems, get a willems. Its dirt cheap, easy enough to use and can support up to a 42 pin package with the adapter, you can burn any chip a arcade pcb uses with this thing including all the one you specified. Its slow yes but you have the time to wait or the alternative you can drop $600 on a chipmax which will burn any eprom on the planet

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Pas said:
Ok another noobish question. When I was in school we had eprom eraser units. But basicaly from what I understood they were just black lights on a timer. Would it work just as well to use a blacklight for 15-20min or do I really need to buy one of these eraser units?

Blacklights don't work. You need a germicidal UV lamp and ballast.

RJ

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
water purifiers for some pools have these. im sitting on one from a pool purifier still havent found the right size balast.

should be able to uv erase 12-20 chips at once.

hehehee

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Talk to a medical supply company. There are plenty of them around.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FULLY ENCLOSED CABINET OF SOME KIND FOR THAT UV LIGHT!

You do not want to go staring at the bulb or being exposed to the UV light as it will cause eye and other cellular damage (very bad sunburns!)

RJ